Organic Sencha Oku Yutaka

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Ken Durocher

• “This tea is really nice. I was a little weary of organic teas, as I heard they could be less flavorful, but this one definitely isn't! First infusion is a nice yellow-green, with a sharp but...” Read full tasting note
    mbishop 27 tasting notes
  • “Good for three steeps according to the label, but the last was pretty weak and so I usually let it go the full 2 minutes rather than the 1.5 suggested. I appreciated O-Cha putting the suggested...” Read full tasting note
    Franko 39 tasting notes

From O-Cha.com

From Shizuoka, a unique breed of Japanese green tea grown organically. A first rate, first harvest, deep steamed green tea, the high quality is obvious from the first sip. Strong “umamai” sweetness, less astringent and mellow. As with many organic green teas, it is single estate and is not blended. Harvested from the first round of young spring leaves, it is certified organic. Nitrogen flushed and vacuum packaged, as fresh of an organic green tea as you can get.

About O-Cha.com View company

This tea is really nice. I was a little weary of organic teas, as I heard they could be less flavorful, but this one definitely isn’t! First infusion is a nice yellow-green, with a sharp but sweet taste. Second infusion is cloudy, soupy and umami-packed, as it should be. The price is also cheaper than some other teas, while still having all the flavor.

The tea was packaged in the usual type of bag, however it seemed to be vacuum packed, as it was air tight and you could feel the tea packed together inside. On the packaging is a drawing of what I assume is the owner of the tea farm, along with her son. It’s nice to see the faces of the people who dedicated their time to making your tea.

Cofftea

Oh no, no, no, no no! I personally believe that organic teas (well organic anything really) is SO much flavorful. Infact, I’ve never heard anyone say organic things are less flavorful.

Shinobi_cha

I have heard the exact opposite actually, that organic (japanese) teas are less flavorful. I wouldn’t know from experience, but certainly are conflicting opinions out there.

Cofftea

Really wow? The only two organic Japanese teas I’ve had are sencha and matcha- and I’ve foud them to be much more flavorful- especially matcha. And to plug LeafSpa today, they’ve got a great organic ceremonial grade matcha!:)

Shinobi_cha

Oh, I don’t doubt your experience in the least. Just pointing out I’ve only read the other side (that organic = sacrifice of flavor) on the internet. However, having never tried organic, this makes me want to compare and see for myself!

Cofftea

Now decaf on the other hand…

Cofftea

Shinochiba (and Martin Biship) you guys should try the steepster select item for today too- It’s organic and I deem it 100 worthy!:)

Shinobi_cha

How much are you getting paid by them? (jk!)

I wish!:)

Good for three steeps according to the label, but the last was pretty weak and so I usually let it go the full 2 minutes rather than the 1.5 suggested. I appreciated O-Cha putting the suggested steeping times right on the label which were 1.0, .5 and 1.5 minutes. Buttery aftertaste was especially enjoyable.