Organic Kirishima Sencha

Bitter, Grass
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Milo

1 Tasting Note View all

• “My first O-Cha order in a long time. O-Cha used to be my go-to online tea shop back in the day when I started drinking tea. As other tea stores sprang up, I eventually moved on. Still I have an...” Read full tasting note
    luckyme 183 tasting notes

From O-Cha.com

Grown organically in the mountainous Kirishima area of Kagoshima. Medium steamed, this sencha has an intense green color to it, medium body, and carries a rather intense, nice grassy aroma. Very nicely balanced astringency, aroma and taste, this is probably one of the best organic sencha green teas we’ve ever come across. The quality of this tea got our attention and we decided to carry it for those organic green tea enthusiasts who demand the very best.

About O-Cha.com View company

1 Tasting Note

My first O-Cha order in a long time. O-Cha used to be my go-to online tea shop back in the day when I started drinking tea. As other tea stores sprang up, I eventually moved on. Still I have an affinity towards them and wanted to see how they stack up against Yunomi and Yuuki-Cha, my current favorite stores for Japanese tea.

When I opened the bag, I was surprised at the amount of broken and crushed leaves which resembled matcha more than sencha. It also meant more sediment in the cup than usual. The tea leaves in a warm gaiwan were fragrant with a deep, enticing aroma of fresh cut grass and spinach.

First steep was for 1 minute at 165 F. Pale green liquor. The flavor was buttery, slightly vegetal, and grassy. Pretty standard sencha taste.

Second steep was 30s at around 170 F. Grassy with a bit of astringency.

3rd and 4th steeps were 1:15 and 1:45 respectively using 175 F water. Flavor mostly faded, harsh bitterness.

I found this to be a very average tasting green tea. There’s some grassiness to it and that’s about it. It doesn’t have the depth and character of high grade senchas. It also doesn’t resteep well. The second infusion was ok, and the ones that followed were pretty terrible.

Flavors: Bitter, Grass