Sencha of the Spring Sun

Green Tea
Broth, Green, Honey, Peas, Seaweed, Sweet, Tangy, Vegetal, Apple, Astringent, Bitter, Grass, Hay, Cream, Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by Shinobi_cha

• “Just tried this at 185 degrees, 10 seconds. It was Very green and Very savory. There was a almost-not-there sweetness, too, but as said it was barely there. I like it much better than last try....” Read full tasting note
    RumpusParable 282 tasting notes
  • “Their website says this tea is an aracha (unsorted) tea, but it looks like it’s just the top leaves and bud to me (at least, it is very similar in appearance to Den’s Sencha Zuiko, or...” Read full tasting note
    Shinobi_cha 280 tasting notes
  • “I am really loving this one. When I think of a sencha, this is what I want. It’s medium-strong flavor, great balance of savory, sweet, and astringency. Perfect iced and hot. Rebrews quite...” Read full tasting note
    MelissaW 264 tasting notes
  • “Delicious! This tea has a grassy, earthen smell in the bag, and a grassy, floral sent once brewed. The color is a nice bright green and the flavor is a near perfect balance of sweetness and...” Read full tasting note
    mbishop 27 tasting notes

From Obubu Tea

Our Taiyou no Sencha (Haru) (太陽の煎茶 (春) ) or Sencha of the Sun (Spring) is grown on south-facing slopes to maximize exposure to sunlight. A stream running nearby generates mists which helps us to consistently grow fragrant leaves every year.

Product name: Sencha of the Sun (Spring)
Ingredients: 100% aracha from Wazuka, Kyoto
Tea plant: Yabukita plants, about 15 years old
Cultivation notes: Open air cultivation (uncovered)
Harvest period: May
Processing notes: light steaming (about 20 seconds)
Product size: 1 bag (24.5 x11.5 x2.0 cm / 9.65 x4.53 x0.79 in)
Weight of contents: 100 g / 3.53 oz
Producer: Akihiro Kita
Expiration: Good for 6 months from shipment
Storage: Seal tightly and refrigerate

About Obubu Tea View company

Second steep, 15 sec: bitterness is coming out strong, but it’s still good.

Third steep, 15 sec: The bitterness is lighter and I’m mostly getting the vegetal flavor.

Fourth, 15 sec: This one is a much gentler steeping. The flavors are more muted and lighter on the tongue.

And so on as I keep trying it! Fiddling with it this way I like it MUCH more than I did the first way I tried it. I’m learning to not follow the website’s steeping instructions and follow my “standard Japanese greens steeping” method of trials and errors.

This isn’t a favorite but I AM glad I got so much of it from my Club membership shipment. I can try it all sorts of temps and steeps and not worry about running out. A good tasting tea to play with!

Their website says this tea is an aracha (unsorted) tea, but it looks like it’s just the top leaves and bud to me (at least, it is very similar in appearance to Den’s Sencha Zuiko, or their Hashiri Shincha). The wet leaf looked and smelled just like those teas too, though not as sweet as the shincha.

This seems like a typical first flush sencha (in my limited experience)… fresh bitterness, with a vegetal grassiness underneath. There was some sweetness present, but not a lot.

It wasn’t truly exceptional, but it didn’t disappoint, either. If you were to buy a whole bag, at $26 for 100g and shipping (from Japan), it’s not a bad price compared to similar kinds of tea.

I am really loving this one. When I think of a sencha, this is what I want. It’s medium-strong flavor, great balance of savory, sweet, and astringency. Perfect iced and hot. Rebrews quite nicely. I could easily buy more. Very tasty, this is going to ruin other sencha experiences for me, since they all will have to live up to this. I am really loving this, and all I had was a tablespoon sample. This so far is my favorite tea from the sampler, but I have a few to go through. So fresh, it agrees with me.

Delicious! This tea has a grassy, earthen smell in the bag, and a grassy, floral sent once brewed. The color is a nice bright green and the flavor is a near perfect balance of sweetness and bitterness (the good kind). Obubu doesn’t disappoint!

Approximately 3 grams of tea for 3oz of water at 70C for 1.5 minutes for the first infusion, then 3oz 80-90C water after that for 30 seconds for further infusions.

very good lots of umami good for sushi or any light fish dish

Only two untried Yunomi samples after this.

The dry leaf is very dark green and needle like, varying in size from 2cm pieces to small flakes. It smells a bit nutty and oceanic, in a way that leans toward being rich rather than light and breezy.

I steeped 2.8g, which was roughly 1tsp (whhhhy does the packet say 5g/1tsp?? These are not even close to being equivalent!) in an 8oz cup, with 80C water. Initially steeped for 30 seconds and then added another 10, for a total of 40s, which is plenty.

Steeped the liquor is a medium golden yellow and quite clear. The liquor smells like grass and honey, while the steeped leaf smells of seaweed.

On the palate this is predominantly honey with some nutty notes. There’s the characteristic vegetal notes of sencha but they are not as pronounced as they usually are – they mostly pop up in the finish, as a bit of a green tang. This is very sweet and really delicious. If I take a big gulp, there’s a brothy quality at the back of my throat and peas on the finish, but small sips don’t carry those notes.

I feel like a lot of the Japanese greens I have tried lately have had strong honey notes. I’m not sure if this is just the teas I’ve happened to select, or if my palate has changed (though I don’t think it has – I haven’t been noticing a lot of honey in other teas.) This leads to a lot of them feeling rather similar, and I think I’d have to sample them side by side to really pull out the differences or pick a favourite. But, I’m not complaining – honey is one of my favourite notes in tea, and all these samples have renewed my interest in Japanese greens. This is a dimension that I hadn’t previously experienced in sencha.

Flavors: Broth, Green, Honey, Peas, Seaweed, Sweet, Tangy, Vegetal

Cameron B.

Yummy! Yunomi is still doing 300 points per review, not sure if that’s permanent or what. Maybe I’ll grab some Obubu samples when I order next. :D

Anlina

Ah that’s super awesome. I submitted two reviews today, but they hadn’t been approved yet, last I checked, so I wasn’t sure how many points I was going to get.

I hope they keep doing 300 points. They add up nice and fast. I shouldn’t but I’m contemplating ordering more samples.

Cameron B.

Yeah it’s getting to the point where I feel like I’m taking advantage! I always order the press samples, so they’re basically paying me $3 for each of those. Plus they randomly added 2600 points to my account and when I emailed them about it, they said it was for reviews on the old system? o.o

Anlina

Hah, I know what you mean! If I get credited for the reviews I posted today I’m going to have over $50 in rewards, which just seems like a lot. Not that I’m complaining about the generosity.

It certainly is a good motivator for posting reviews on their site. And to be honest, I pretty much never post tea reviews outside of Steepster unless there’s a good incentive, so I guess if you want on site reviews, providing good rewards is the way to go.

I got up this morning and set my table to entertain a day of Japanese tea, only I had to go out this morning and clean the house when I returned which means it’s coming up to 2pm and I have yet to taste some tea. I’ve decided to forget the other tasks I need to do until dinner time so I have an afternoon and early evening of tea. (Yay!)

Sencha of the Spring Sun sounds beautiful and warm. In appearance the Sencha is dark green with some light green stems and a high gloss. They are a mixture of small pieces and long pieces, all dry and sharp looking. It has a sweet (yet slightly astringent) scent with floral sweet pea, fresh grass and hay tones.

Standard steeping
Tea – 5g
Water – 80 C
Volume – 180ml Futanashi Tokoname
Over three steeps

First Steep – 30 seconds
A warm juniper and fresh cut grass scent shines through. Flavour is mild, sweet and very fresh with grass and floral tones with some lightly toasted hay towards the after taste. Particularly sweetpea and mild but fresh seaweed.

Second Steep – 10 seconds
More vegetal tones are becoming present as it becomes stronger. Seaweed, sweetpea, fresh grass and broccoli being notable. A touch of astringency and dryness though nothing dramatic.

Third Steep – 30 seconds
More astringent and dry though remains sweet and with flavour. The astringency makes it more perfumed rather than being plain astringency.

A nice Sencha overall that has lingering after tastes and an abundance of flavours suitable for many steeps. Not the smoothest or highest quality but perfect for every day drinking.

Plus a side note – the sun came out while I was drinking this which was a nice touch, it shone down strong enough to make it feel like Spring again. I will carry on steeping this while I watch Hellfighters (with John Wayne), my nan used to love John Wayne and watching his films reminds me of her.

Woo, this is my last untried tea from Yunomi! This one was a free sample that they included with my recent order. I wasn’t expecting a sample and I was very pleasantly surprised to see the little kraft packet! I will say, I very much enjoy Yunomi’s new branding, it’s so clean and graphic! And their new sample packets are cute too, and they have steeping instructions on them (too bad I didn’t notice before steeping, ha ha). Anyway, on to the tea! The leaves are extremely thin, and some of them are slightly twisted. The color is a dark hunter green. Wow, this smells very different from the other sencha I’ve had lately – it’s drier in a way? Quite sweet with hay and grass elements.

The steeped liquor is a pale and clear yellow with a touch of green. I was afraid I understeeped this because the aroma is quite delicate – I can smell sweetness and some hay-like notes. However, after tasting it I’m confident that 45s was plenty of time. It does have a rather light and delicate flavor, but it has sufficient dimension to convince me that this is the way it’s supposed to taste. I will say, this absolutely makes me think of Spring, so the name is perfect! It has a nice sweetness as well as a touch of astringency that makes me want to drink more. There’s a strong and surprising hay-like flavor that reminds me of white tea a bit, along with a little bit of bitterness that balances the sweetness nicely. I can taste light vegetal and grass notes, but they’re much more subtle than most sencha. There’s a subtle fruity note here, something mild and sweet like apple. Overall, quite tasty!

Flavors: Apple, Astringent, Bitter, Grass, Hay, Sweet, Vegetal

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

The dry leaves in the warm kyusu smelled faintly of fruit tree flowers. After the infusion the wet leaves smell sweet with a slight green bean or snap pea scent.

The flavor’s really milky and creamy to me. It’s light and delicate with a very full mouth feel that makes me salivate. Predominantly the flavor reminds me of sweet cream with a mild grassy backdrop.

The second infusion was mildly floral and sweet, and left a sweet sensation in my mouth for quite a while after.

This is perhaps the most delicate of the Obubu senchas, really lacking in astringency and not a really bold flavor either. It’s really smooth.

Flavors: Cream, Flowers, Sweet