Sencha of the Spring Sun

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Shinobi_cha

• “Just tried this at 185 degrees, 10 seconds. It was Very green and Very savory. There was a almost-not-there sweetness, too, but as said it was barely there. I like it much better than last try....” Read full tasting note
    RumpusParable 276 tasting notes
  • “Their website says this tea is an aracha (unsorted) tea, but it looks like it's just the top leaves and bud to me (at least, it is very similar in appearance to Den's Sencha Zuiko, or their Hashiri...” Read full tasting note
    Shinobi_cha 280 tasting notes
  • “I am really loving this one. When I think of a sencha, this is what I want. It's medium-strong flavor, great balance of savory, sweet, and astringency. Perfect iced and hot. Rebrews quite nicely. I...” Read full tasting note
    MelissaW 252 tasting notes
  • “Delicious! This tea has a grassy, earthen smell in the bag, and a grassy, floral sent once brewed. The color is a nice bright green and the flavor is a near perfect balance of sweetness and...” Read full tasting note
    mbishop 27 tasting notes

From Obubu Tea

Our Taiyou no Sencha (Haru) (太陽の煎茶 (春) ) or Sencha of the Sun (Spring) is grown on south-facing slopes to maximize exposure to sunlight. A stream running nearby generates mists which helps us to consistently grow fragrant leaves every year.

Product name: Sencha of the Sun (Spring)
Ingredients: 100% aracha from Wazuka, Kyoto
Tea plant: Yabukita plants, about 15 years old
Cultivation notes: Open air cultivation (uncovered)
Harvest period: May
Processing notes: light steaming (about 20 seconds)
Product size: 1 bag (24.5 x11.5 x2.0 cm / 9.65 x4.53 x0.79 in)
Weight of contents: 100 g / 3.53 oz
Producer: Akihiro Kita
Expiration: Good for 6 months from shipment
Storage: Seal tightly and refrigerate

About Obubu Tea View company

Second steep, 15 sec: bitterness is coming out strong, but it’s still good.

Third steep, 15 sec: The bitterness is lighter and I’m mostly getting the vegetal flavor.

Fourth, 15 sec: This one is a much gentler steeping. The flavors are more muted and lighter on the tongue.

And so on as I keep trying it! Fiddling with it this way I like it MUCH more than I did the first way I tried it. I’m learning to not follow the website’s steeping instructions and follow my “standard Japanese greens steeping” method of trials and errors.

This isn’t a favorite but I AM glad I got so much of it from my Club membership shipment. I can try it all sorts of temps and steeps and not worry about running out. A good tasting tea to play with!

Their website says this tea is an aracha (unsorted) tea, but it looks like it’s just the top leaves and bud to me (at least, it is very similar in appearance to Den’s Sencha Zuiko, or their Hashiri Shincha). The wet leaf looked and smelled just like those teas too, though not as sweet as the shincha.

This seems like a typical first flush sencha (in my limited experience)… fresh bitterness, with a vegetal grassiness underneath. There was some sweetness present, but not a lot.

It wasn’t truly exceptional, but it didn’t disappoint, either. If you were to buy a whole bag, at $26 for 100g and shipping (from Japan), it’s not a bad price compared to similar kinds of tea.

I am really loving this one. When I think of a sencha, this is what I want. It’s medium-strong flavor, great balance of savory, sweet, and astringency. Perfect iced and hot. Rebrews quite nicely. I could easily buy more. Very tasty, this is going to ruin other sencha experiences for me, since they all will have to live up to this. I am really loving this, and all I had was a tablespoon sample. This so far is my favorite tea from the sampler, but I have a few to go through. So fresh, it agrees with me.

Delicious! This tea has a grassy, earthen smell in the bag, and a grassy, floral sent once brewed. The color is a nice bright green and the flavor is a near perfect balance of sweetness and bitterness (the good kind). Obubu doesn’t disappoint!

Approximately 3 grams of tea for 3oz of water at 70C for 1.5 minutes for the first infusion, then 3oz 80-90C water after that for 30 seconds for further infusions.

very good lots of umami good for sushi or any light fish dish

Tried brewing this western style, with just over 3 tsp for 24 oz, steeped for 3.5 min at 79C.

I have to say I like this much better. There’s the savoury flavour, a little bit of sweetness, and some astringency. I think I’m going to brew the rest of my Japanese teas using the same parameters.

Also, this is a sipdown. Woo!