Sencha of the Summer Sun

Green Tea
Butter, Grass
Edit tea info Last updated by Shinobi_cha

From Obubu Tea

Sencha of the Summer Sun or 太陽の煎茶(夏) is the companion to Sencha of the Spring Sun, with a bitter taste that is strong at first. But the as the aftertaste spreads through you mouth, you begin to taste the sweet early summer sun shining brightly. Great for washing down oily meals (like summer BBQs…yum!).

Grown uncovered on west-facing slopes, the leaves take in the strong early summer sun and warm breezes before they are harvested in early July. The soil of the tea fields is composed of granite that has eroded after many millennia.

Product info
Product name: Sencha of the Summer Sun
Ingredients: 100% aracha from Wazuka, Kyoto
Tea plant: Yabukita plants, about 20 years old
Cultivation notes: Open air (uncovered)
Harvest period: early-July
Processing notes: light steaming (about 25 seconds)
Product size: 1 bag (24.5 x11.5 x2.0 cm / 9.65 x4.53 x0.79 in)
Weight of contents: 100 g / 3.53 oz
Producer: Akihiro Kita
Expiration: Good for 6 months from shipment
Storage: Seal tightly and refrigerate

About Obubu Tea View company

Very nice, and quite different from other Japanese Senchas I’ve tried. This tea is very much like the description depicts: it starts off with a savory bitterness which wanes into a smooth sweetness toward the tail, and then there is an astringency that cleanses.

I enjoy this for how different it is. It is probably not a Sencha I’d drink every day, but, it is one that I’d enjoy on occasion, and it would definitely make a pleasing palate cleanser after meals.

Azzrian

Never heard of this tea vendor – thanks for someone new to check out! :)

TeaBrat

I want to try this company too – waiting for the 2012 season!

I finally opened this sencha! I was trying to finish my Sencha Fukamidori from Den’s first, since these types of greens apparently spoil rather quickly.

This is very different from the senchas I’m used to. It is still buttery and spinachy, but there’s a haylike or grassy quality as well. Kind of like sencha with some white tea thrown in? I find it interesting that this is the summer harvest sencha, because the hay notes really make me think of summer time!

There is a little sweetness but not as much as other senchas, so this one seems pretty savory to me. No bitteness at all though (I made sure to steep at a nice low temp) and very little astringency. Nice sencha, very glad I won it from a Yunomi.us giveaway! :)

Fjellrev

Congrats on the win!

An Exceptional Green! Very lovely! A SS Gift from Brian! Thanks so much! :)

Very clean and crisp and spring and a true green! YUM!

Beautiful name. Pleasant tea. My humans have promised to take me on a tour of the Obubu tea gardens. I’m not holding my breath on it, though. Photos and details: http://is.gd/foVAV

I drank this iced. I love love this tea. Tastes like buttery spinach. Used 1 tablespoon for 16 oz. This is my kind of sencha. No real astringency, slight sweetness.

Their description is right, this is a very bold tea for a Japanese green.
The loose leaf had an interesting look… there were a few leaves that were compressed together like a pu-erh tea cake.

The first steeping wasn’t as bitter as they described. It mostly tasted like a low quality sencha, in my opinion. I think I over brewed the 2nd steeping, as it was incredibly astringent and not much else. This would go well with strong tasting foods, as it is strong enough itself to not get masked.

Another very nice tea from Obubu Tea Plantations in Kyoto. I have been drinking this today using the parameters specified by Obubu, and it makes for a very pleasant set of infusions of a very bright and lightly buttery character. Nice vegetal taste with only a slight touch of bitterness in the first steep. It doesn’t take much imagination to taste the “early summer sun shining brightly.”

A really nice healthy green taste; It goes well with food, but I am enjoying it all on it’s own!

A lot more savoury and less bitter than I was expecting, especially as I brewed this tea with near-boiling water. I really like this tea – it has a surprisingly strong taste for a sencha, very vegetal and buttery as you might expect, but with more umami than I would have expected. The taste becomes less rounded and more bitter as the tea cools.

Had this for “lunch” at work with some leftover udon stir fry. I brought it in my DAVIDsTEA glass travel tumbler (http://www.davidstea.com/double-wall-travel-mug?&TF=ADA13E5CAE3F&DEID) because I’m really trying to find some system for me to drink tea while I’m at work.

sidenote rant, please skip below if you just want to read the tea review
My work is seriously NOT conducive to tea drinking, guys. First of all, only closed containers allowed out at the nurses station (which makes sense because we don’t need to spill stuff out there and that would definitely happen). Second of all, I’m getting better about managing my time but there are still nights where I do NOT sit down. This is not conducive for fussy teas. Or a tea tumbler that doesn’t hold its heat properly. So…I’m pretty much limited to bagged, non-fussy teas but even then I don’t get to drink the whole thing before it goes ice cold, so I feel like I waste more than I consume.

It’s frustrating because I really think tea would keep me a lot less frazzled at work but there’s just no way to do it well. Welcome to the last… oh… 16 months of my life. Any suggestions on workability would be much appreciated.
end rant

Okay. So the tea tumbler worked great. But I definitely oversteeped this guy because holy wow bitter. I probably overleafed too even though I did follow instructions on based on the volume of water and grams of tea leaves.

Oh well, it paired pretty nicely with my lunch, I just don’t think I’d take it to work again since it’s too easy to mess up. One of these days I will find a winning combination of tea + teaware. Or several winning combinations, I guess, since I get bored if I just drink one tea over and over.

I hope that day comes soon…

Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 4 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Indigobloom

Too bad you don’t live near me. We are hiring nurses for a call centre. You could drink plenty of tea there lol

teataku

What are your preferences regarding travel tumblers? I may have a solution for you.

JoonSusanna

Ooh really? Part of my problem in addition to the above is that I can only do glass. Stainless steel lends an off taste to tea. I’ll be interested in hearing your thoughts!

teataku

Hrm. Unfortunately, my solution is made of stainless. It has a steeping basket that you can twist to shut off the steeping process. It’s really neat, and my husband loves it… but I don’t know if any company makes something like that with glass. :/

JoonSusanna

That seems to be the problem I’m facing, too – great solutions in stainless, but no glass versions. Do you have the link to what your husband uses? It’s always worth a look just to see I’ve come across it before…

teataku

Here’s the link to it: http://www.copco.com/store/site/product.cfm/id/0BE53028-CFBF-D4B2-F3F068D75505414A/fid/0BE5307C-ED52-6763-D498321EA5D826BC.cfm

I actually had to search for a while before I found this. It really works quite well if you don’t have time to take out the strainer and dump the leaves.

teataku

Also, how do you feel about plastic? Bodum makes a plastic tumbler with a French press apparatus inside. I know French presses are not ideal, but I’ve found they do LARGELY stop the steeping process.