Houjicha - Amber

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Rumpus Parable

From Obubu Tea

Houjicha Amber as the name says is exquisite in color, aromatic in fragrance and powerful in flavor. Its color is that of the stone, amber, that is often used for both jewelry and to perfumery.

To produce Houjcha Amber, Obubu uses tea leaves of Sencha of the Summer Sun and roast them to create a luxury type of Houjicha. Sencha of the Summer Sun is characterised for its strong bitter taste because it uses tea leaves that are small and fine.  Its rich and robust flavor makes it an ideal choice for after heavy or oily meals.

Product info
Product name: Houjicha Amber
Ingredients: 100% aracha from Wazuka, Kyoto
Weight of contents: 100 g / 3.53 oz
Producer: Akihiro Kita
Expiration: Good for 12 months from shipment
Storage: Seal tightly and refrigerate

About Obubu Tea View company

Additional notes: Recently, I saw a tasting note that said cream houjicha! Well, I don’t have a cream houjicha but it sounds delicious. I had to try this with some cream… some Bailey’s Cheesecake cream!! What?! I decided to forgo the higher caffiene tea today, just because I wanted to try this with cream. I have learned since the last time I had this one that all tea except rooibos and herbals have caffiene in them. Even though I only slept 4 hours last night, I wasn’t that sleepy. I think the steep time must be boiling and you can’t really hurt it with the steep time, especially if you love more of the roasted toasty flavor. The cream is delicious, of course. It tastes like a cheesecake, and the toasty houjicha is the delicious crust (otherwise, I think the cream flavor is just cheesecake filling without the crust.) It is reminding me of the milky coffee my parents gave me when I was three years old… which isn’t good because I only put a bit of cream in it. I assumed the coffee was mostly milk, but now I think there was only a little milk added! Yikes! I love this tea.

Boiling 8 min or more
Obubu Tea

wow, i haven’t check the steepster account for a while, and come back to see this review? Talk about a wonderful way to end the afternoon! THANKS!! (Overseas business manager, Ian Chun)

Tea Sipper

You’re welcome! I’m glad you read it. If you’d like more reviews, I’d be happy to try more Obubu teas… though this one would probably be my favorite.

Tea #30 from HHTTB2

Thumbing through the reviews, I was glad to see I wasn’t the only one getting the Sencha flavor still coming through in this cup. It’s definitely a unique experience, as I’m used to that flavor being blitzed away through the roasting and replaced with something wholy different.

In any case, this tastes like heavily roasted veggies with a definite nutty and toasty quality. Vegetal, but warm and savory.

And it made me crave smashed parsnips with rosemary and garlic. Huh.

ifjuly

Man, now you’ve got me craving that! Ha.

Tea #1 from Here’s Hoping Travelling Teabox

I was quite excited to brew up a Houjicha. It’s been a long time since I’ve had a Houjicha tea and I was craving one.

I thought at first that there was something wrong with this tea, like maybe it has been affected by other tea flavors in the box. I detect a strange sort of generic fruitiness in the back ground. Aside from that, it certainly doesn’t taste like the Houjicha teas I’ve had before. I don’t know quite how to describe it, but I don’t like it. Reading the other reviews here, I can see that it should taste unique, but I don’t know how much of what I taste is the tea or how much is tea box ‘pollution.’

BrewTEAlly Sweet

you got it!!!! yay!!! I WAS GOING TO TRY THIS ONE, BUT ran out of time. Looks like its a good thing I passed it up.

Shelley_Lorraine

i just posted in the forum that I got the box, and posted pictures. And commented on the awesome candies you included ٩(^ᴗ^)۶

Tea Sipper

Aw, I don’t know what happened to this one. I thought it was the best hojicha I’ve ever tried. I’m going to brew some up soon and see if it’s the same as I remember it.

Shelley_Lorraine

hey TeaSipper, it could be just me too. What are your brewing parameters? I might try it again if you do something much different than I.

Tea Sipper

I had to check my note.. apparently I went boiling for over 8 minutes?

Tea Sipper

Oh, but I’m glad the box got to you! And hopefully you like the others you try way more than this one…

Shelley_Lorraine

I was thinking maybe, since its been so long since I’ve had any houjicha that maybe I forgot how to brew it. I know that it is a green tea, but as a roasted green tea, I thought near boiling should be ok, so that’s what I did, but certainly not for 8 minutes! yikes. besides the fruity flavor that I attributed to other teas’ influence, I thought it was a too bitter, which would be caused by wrong temp, etc. Of course, as some of you might already know, my tastebuds are in some other dimension from most of you here. lol.

BrewTEAlly Sweet

All of the candies were German:) even the marshmallows

Shelley_Lorraine

the marshmallows were labeled something like “chamomile blend” (I cant remember, i don’t have the bag in front of me now) so I first thought, “hmm, maybe it’s like space-age astronaut tea” and I pondered whether I should stick one in a pot of hot water or eat it. :p Did you get all that in Germany yourself, or do you have family suppliers? (either way, super lucky!)

BrewTEAlly Sweet

Chamallows :) and I have family:)

Stephanie

Looking forward to all your tea box notes :D

Muppetlove THANKS for this!

This is a mighty fine Houjicha but it’s a tad different than your standard Houjicha…it just has that little extra something-something.

Sure – it has that robust roasted flavor and notes of woodsy/nutty goodness but it has a sweet-mineral type flavor to it too! I like it!

Backlog:

This is my last backlog for this evening … I’m gonna try to do a little bit every night and hopefully I’ll get caught up eventually!

This was a very interesting Houjicha … I could still taste the vegetative tones of the Sencha in this tea, as well as some of the floral tones of the Sencha … usually, it’s been my experience that with the roasting process, the houjicha becomes an entirely new flavor but here, I taste notes of the Sencha still … I like that though!

The vegetative notes taste a bit like roasted vegetables … and I like this unique taste. There is a slight creamy tone to this cup too … it’s a little bit nutty, a little bit toasty and warm, a little bit vegetative and savory, and a little bit sweet and creamy! A really nice cuppa.

Backlog from yesterday, Steepster was acting really slow and would not allow me to do much.

This was a nice houjicha, definitely very roasty and earthy with a slight smoky note. I tried it hot and also over ice, it was good both ways but I wish it was a bit sweeter somehow.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Sipdown! I’m kind of proud of myself for clearing out my cupboard so well. Although I probably will make up for it as soon as I get my Obubu shipment.

I’m not sure if my notes are really reflecting this at all but I’ve been on a big Japanese culture kick of late. Literature, food, tea, everything. I decided to do my first tea subscription with Obubu tea just because I’ve bee having so much fun with it all (that and I like that the subscription also has some benefit to the community).

Anyway, this was a free sample with my Sencha order and I’m drinking it in my new DAVIDsTEA double wall glass tumbler (12 oz volume). I steeped up the whole sample since it was around 8 grams and the instructions said to use 5 g for 5 oz. I used the below parameters and no additives.

The dry leaf smell was of an almost burnt sencha. I know I’ve had houjicha before but I am pretty sure it used bancha leaves as I remember huge brown leaves, and not the blade of grass sized leaves that characterize sencha. I’m not a fan of outright burnt or ash tasting teas so I’m hoping this tones it down just to a pleasant toasted rice-esque note once it steeps.

Despite being sencha based, this tastes a lot like the houjicha I remember. Very genmaicha like, really. It is also very smooth and not bitter in the slightest, with discernible hints of seaweed. Sometimes teas take me a while to drink because my brain likes to ruminate over the flavors. But this – I’m not sure how to really explain it other than for a hot tea it is surprisingly refreshing and slides down your throat like water. Maybe its the minerality I’m trying to describe? Because that is a savory/umami quality I really enjoy in tea as well.

Anyway, I like this. I’m excited to see what my spring tea from Obubu will be because I’ve quite enjoyed their offerings so far!

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 45 sec 8 g 12 OZ / 354 ML