Honey Scented Black Tea

Edit tea info Last updated by Jenny Lo

From Oollo Tea

The best kept secret of Taiwan. This black tea is celebrated for its unforgettable honey aroma and lusciously velvet caramel liquor.

TEA DETAIL

Temperature: 95~100 C
Brewing Duration: 2-4 min
Repeat Brews: 4 brews
Teaware: Glass and Porcelain
Gongfu Brewing: 150ml water, 1st brew 20", 2nd 40", 3rd 1’, 4th 1’40"
Cold Brewing: 2tbls / 3g in 250ml water then refrigerate for at least 3 hours

About Oollo Tea View company

this is OKAY…not great nor bad…180ml Ru ware pot 8g tea…

Backlog:

The leaves look a bit more like a dark Oolong than a black tea, which comes as no surprise since this tea comes from an Oolong varietal, but it is apparently fermented longer like a black tea. It tastes more like an Oolong than a black tea too, it doesn’t really have that dark, deep flavor of a black tea. It has that lighter, smoother flavor of an Oolong.

Not a bad thing, though, as I do enjoy honey Oolong teas. Smooth, very little astringency, honey notes, and a crisp, clean flavor. Nice, I enjoyed it.

I’m not even going to rate this tea as I didn’t even get a chance to try it. I got a good deal to try the Amoda box and this was one of the blends we received. Hubby found this one and that was it… gone in a couple of days… Vamoosh… !!

I did manage one sip of his one evening.. the last cup, and only because I caught him. He rarely adds sugar and didn’t with this one. It smell of black tea and honey, tasted like a rich black tea and I didn’t get much honey but probably because I associate honey w/sweetness.

He said he likes the way this smells and tastes of honey. To me honey is exceptional sweetness… I get the flavor is there w/o the sweetness, but to get the honey flavor, I would find myself adding sugar I’m sure.

I’m glad he enjoyed this one.. but completely surprised he drank the whole thing w/o offering me a sip! He knows I like to try at least a tiny sample of most everything. Guess he didn’t want to share this one… :)

I found myself craving black tea this morning. I don’t actually have much black tea in my collection anymore, since I’m not really supposed to be drinking it. I got this one from an Amoda box. It’s not bad, but it didn’t really hit the spot either. This definitely has honey notes. It has a savory note that I always think of as mushroomy. I’m not picking up on any other flavors though. This is a decent black, but it’s not as robust and complex as I was hoping. Ah well. At least it didn’t make my stomach hurt much.

dexter sent this one my way as a surprise so i figured i should try it out this weekend as i’m puttering around trying to get ready for games night! This one is pretty tasty, but there’s a weird after taste to it that i’m not a fan of. It smells delicious and the brew is a smooth cup of tea. there are some honey notes to this, though not as much as some of the taiwanese blacks that i’ve had from stacy or TTC. It would be great, if not for the after taste. Thanks for letting me try this one dex!

I really enjoyed this one. It has the cooling wet-stone feeling that I’m coming to really enjoy in dark oolongs, but also a lot of sweet honey flavor. It starts soft, but opens up on the tongue, then lingers after the sip. Overall, it’s really smooth and quite pleasant.

I don’t know if I’d purchase this particular one myself, but it’s a good example of this type of oolong, and I’d definitely drink it again.

Courtney

Cooling wet-stone is an interesting description. :)

moraiwe

I don’t really know how else to explain it, haha. It’s the same sensation in my mouth as wet stones have in my palm!

Courtney

I think it sounds neat haha.

I had this last night. Really enjoyed this one; one of the best Amoda offerings I’ve tried so far along with the Butikis. Makes sense—I’m a huge fan of the honey oolongs-so-dark-they’re-practically-blacks like Honey Orchid and…I forget the other couple I’ve tried, but yeah (one was disappointingly weak IIRC but I don’t remember where it came from). I like how relatively soft but full of sweet honey aroma and flavor they are, a nice break from brisk breakfast blends and the usual malt and sweet potato of many Chinese black teas. If I didn’t already have plenty of Honey Orchid I’d consider looking into purchasing more of this. It’s a nice specimen of a tea type I love.

Cavocorax

I’m happy you enjoyed it! I was looking at my Amoda box yesterday and I wasn’t sure how excited I felt about the selection, but this makes me smile a bit more. :D

ifjuly

it’s getting mehhhh reviews, and god knows my tastes don’t seem to often align with most of steepster for some headscrstching reason (maybe i’m a weirdo, ha), so take it all with a grain of salt! but i do like it, yes! and thanks for mentioning amoda and describing it in some detail on the boards a while back—it helped me go through with subscribing when they announced the holiday butikis. (:

Cavocorax

Oh good! I’m happy you’re enjoying it!

Not thrilled by this tea, unfortunately. I was expecting something along the lines of Butiki’s Mi Xian black, but I really wasn’t getting any leafhopper flavour here. IMHO, it wasn’t even a great example of a straight black tea. Just, not much flavour. Very boring. I may have understeeped, at 2 minutes, so I’ll give it another shot later, but for now I’d pass on having it again.

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML