1999 Kunming Red in Red

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by apt
7 g 3 oz / 100 ml

1 Tasting Note View all

• “This puerh is from the Kunming factory, a place that is almost never mentioned online. This tea was stored in good dry storage and was positively reviewed by a lot of people so I bought it with my...” Read full tasting note
    apt 52 tasting notes

From Origin Tea

Product description not available yet.

About Origin Tea View company

1 Tasting Note

This puerh is from the Kunming factory, a place that is almost never mentioned online. This tea was stored in good dry storage and was positively reviewed by a lot of people so I bought it with my first and last Origin Tea order.

You know, me and puerh have a long history. Years ago, in kung-fu class, our discussion somehow turned into a ton of poop jokes. My instructor told us that he drinks a tea called “poo-er”. That was absolutely hilarious to me. He told me how he bought a 1960s cake for $300, which completely blew my tiny little mind. Next class, he brought in a teabag of puerh, obviously horrible quality ripe as he gave it to me. Being me at the time, I ended up flushing it down the toilet. I’m sure I would have loved it, I had a very diverse diet of hotdogs, pasta, and bagels at the time, my palate was definitely ready. Puerh was never mentioned again, until I told him that I was getting into tea. He showed me gongfu tea the next week, having me taste an Alishan Oolong, an Oriental Beauty, an old bush Shui Xian, and a ripe puerh. I couldn’t stand the ripe puerh. I still can’t.

Origin Tea specialized in premium high-mountain oolongs, raw puerh, yancha, and a small amount of hei cha. They still sell Yixing. I decided to pick up some of each, wanting to give puerh a last shot. You better do this right puerh. Don’t fuck this up or I’ll have your head.

Puerh didn’t fuck this up. Good job, Kunming Factory. Good job to whoever stored this. And good job Tony from Origin for sourcing this.

This puerh is a combination of sweet, bitter, spicy, and earthy. The dry leaf? Earthy. The wet leaf? Sweet. The liquor’s scent? Spicy. The taste? All of the above. It opens up spicy and earthy, then some bitterness (not too much at all, a pleasant amount), and then, after you swallow, it becomes sweet, like the sweet aftertaste an iced pastry has, except it makes you feel better instead of giving you a stomachache and helps you lose weight instead of helping you gain weight. This is COMPLEX. I can’t even begin to pick out the flavors. Camphor? Dried fruit? I don’t know and I don’t care.

Speaking of not caring, this tea’s Cha Qi is a carefree, uplifting, and relaxed mood. I’m smiling right now, I smiled during my first session. This tea makes me want to put in WORK! Notice how long this note is? Do you notice how long it is? It’s HUGE, especially for me. I really wish that I could buy a cake of this, I’m sure that it will become even better with a few more years under its belt. I should definitely look out for Kunming Factory offerings, I didn’t know factory puerh was this good.

Thanks for opening my mind to puerh Tony and Kunming Factory workers.

7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Sarsonator

Sounds wonderful! I love your pu’erh story, too! :)

Cwyn

I enjoyed the story too. When I started on shou back in 2009, a Chinese vendor told me to do a cold rinse before the hot rinse, will really reduce storage flavor early on and I think it does work somewhat. However, this 1999 cake sound fab. Robsbitsoftea blog has some photos of the tea liquor from this one, that deep,enviable amber…

Sarsonator

Interesting Cwyn. I did not know that :)

mrmopar

Some of it is pretty good. Nice note on your experience.

apt

Cwyn: I will have to try that.

I forgot to add, me and that same kung-fu teacher are planning on splitting a White2Tea order!

Stephanie