Fruit Tea
Berries, Cherry, Hibiscus, Tart
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

From Parenteau's Gourmet Foods

Parenteau’s Prairie Berry Herbal Tea is a loose tea that combines saskatoon berries with other native fruits and a blend of natural ingredients. This tea is 100% natural with no caffeine.

About Parenteau's Gourmet Foods View company

I’ve discovered that this fruit tisane makes a really nice iced tea, especially when I sweetened it with a bit of honey. It almost tastes like some sort of tart-ish fruit juice.

Iced

I have a confession to make: I nicked this from my mom’s stash, BUT it’s okay because she’s currently in Thailand and won’t notice anyways!

Another confession: this is what I kinda expected DavidsTea’s Prairie Berry to taste like… and then it didn’t. So, sometimes when I want this tea dumbed down and the DT Prairie Berry to be more flavourful I just mix the two together!

Now, let’s talk about this tea. Currently, with the roller-coaster of nausea/vomiting I am on, it’s the only fruity tea that I have been guzzling. And I mean guzzling. Hot. Cold. Iced. It doesn’t matter, if it’s there I will drink it. Plus, add a little honey or raw sugar, pop it in the fridge overnight, and it tastes like Saskatchewan Summer in a glass. Which is nice because our lovely summer abruptly ended this week with -5C temperatures.

This is the second Prairie Berry blend I’ve ever owned, though this one is a fair bit different than the DT blend by the same name – for starters, it’s a tisane. Also, in addition to Saskatoon Berries I believe it has cranberry, chokecherry, blueberry, raisins, and elderberries among other ingredients. I’m honestly not looking right at the bottle or the ingredients list for this one or DT’s Prairie Berry though; so I might be remembering things a little wrong.

This one was a present from my Mom for Christmas which I just received today. She also gave me another blend by the same company that features Saskatoon Berries primarily, not just a whole bunch of local fruit/berries. Rather thoughtfully, her intention was for me to have something to add to swaps for the people who aren’t familiar with Saskatoons. And if you’re not, you should try them if you ever get a chance! I live in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan – and the berries are so common and popular here that my city is named after the berry, and not the other way around.

This was the family’s second “Tea Soda” of the day. My sister wouldn’t try it because of the hibiscus though; she’s not a fan, and this honestly does have a lot of hibby in the blend. I did make the concentrated batch into a sweetened syrup first though; still, she wouldn’t try it! What a stubborn ten year old. Even floated in a litre of soda water, this was the colour of Doctor Pepper – basically black with a slight red tint. Maybe a little more of a burgundy for this one, though.

Hmm, taste wise this does have lots of straight hibiscus flavour; even sweetened and with all the other berries in the blend. I’m sad to say the Saskatoons are really hard to pick out; and I imagine it’d be even harder for someone not familiar with them in the first place. Other than hibiscus I think I taste chokecherry more than anything else? I do like chokecherries though (especially in jam), and this sweetened up it’s a little bit like a cherry soda? But with more natural tartness.

I’m very worried about trying this one hot; I know the hibiscus is going to be more than dominant; it’s gonna pull a Christian Grey and just fucking abuse this tisane. Yeah, I just made a jab at 50 Shades of Grey – I hate the series though, and I weep for everyone who goes to see it on V-Day and mistakes this abusive relationship for a healthy BDSM lifestyle. It’s so bad; even my ten year old sister today said she wants to see the movie. I mean, she wont because it’s rated R and there’s no way either Mom or her Dad are gonna let that happen; but the possibility of that kind of abuse being romanticized for her troubles me.

Yeah; that’s huge tangent – sorry. All that to say next up wont be a hot brew; it’s definitely gonna be a cold brew. Hopefully that keeps that gnarly hibiscus in check.

OMGsrsly

cackles My mom read 50 Shades and I had to have a BDSM 101 talk with her. Head, meet desk. My poor mom. “Is that really what your friends do? It doesn’t seem like fun.” No, mom. No. Consent matters.

1) 50 shades of the worst writing ever including twilight… 2) UGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH 3) jones…your mom is awesome.

VariaTEA

Sil, of course it’s worse than Twilight. It was originally Twilight fan fiction.

i didn’t know that… ugh. that makes everything 100 times worse

VariaTEA

Haha yep. She changed the names so she wouldn’t get sued but 50 shades of grey started as Twilight fan fiction.

OMGsrsly

My family is hilarious. :D And I read part of it when it made the rounds as fan fiction, because you know, BDSM and it might be interesting. No.