Black Chai Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by mgregoryw

From Peet's Coffee & Tea

A blend of India teas with cinnamon, ginger, cardamon, cloves and pepper. Brew with milk and sugar.

In India, “chai” is the word for tea, and “masala” means a mixture of spices. In many parts of India, “masala chai” is prepared using local tea boiled in a mixture of water and milk, with lots of sugar, and whatever spices that are popular locally. There are probably as many variations on the recipe as there are households in India, but the general result is a spicy, sweet, and milky tea. Our Masala Chai blend incorporates pungent Assam and South India broken leaf teas blended with cinnamon, ginger, cardamon, cloves, and fresh-ground tellicherry peppercorns. This should be brewed fresh and mixed with freshly heated milk and sugar to taste.

About Peet's Coffee & Tea View company

Skipping the milk and sugar and going straight for spicy goodness, this morning.

Sipdown #2 of the day, & of the Extravaganza!

I made this one stovetop, steeping the tea first in a bit of simmering water, & then adding some Almond Milk & letting the whole thing come up to heat. Quite honestly, I’m not a huge fan of almond milk in tea, although combined with some canned coconut milk it is greatly improved, but I’m too lazy/busy to open a can, so it was straight almond milk today. I also added a little Maple syrup.

This is a nice spicy chai, which is what I like! Thanks to TeaBrat for this generous sample!!

I bought this yesterday at Peet’s since I’ve been craving some kind of a masala chai but wanted to resist placing an order over the internet which would mean I’d probably end up buying a bunch of other stuff I don’t really need.

Upon opening the tin I think this is a CTC assam and there’s lots of broken spices in it. The directions on the tin say to steep 8 oz of tea for 5 minutes and then to warm the milk separately and combine the two. I figured I would try it at least once with their recommended instructions.

I used almond milk that I warmed in the microwave. I did taste the chai plain and it was incredibly strong so I know I will not be drinking it that way! Whenever I’ve had chai in Indian restaurants it does seem to be really creamy so it makes sense that you would use a lot of milk to temper it out. I also added some rock sugar and it is pretty good that way.

The spices in this blend are really strong, the cardamom is quite potent but that’s ok since I really like cardamom. The ginger is also quite strong. I can’t believe another taster thought the spices were weak because to me they seem quite potent. Next time I make this I will need to try adding slightly more plant milk and slightly less tea.

This is pretty good but I can see how it would be too strong for a lot of people, especially if they didn’t follow the instructions. It’s pretty good for a foggy day like today and I definitely feel invigorated just drinking this.

Overall it’s pretty good but I think I prefer the chai from Rishi, which I will likely purchase again someday. I’m just trying to avoid placing anymore internet orders for the next month or two while I save up for my vacation to Victoria.

Fjellrev

Victoria, as in Victoria BC? :D

Fjellrev

Yaaaaaay! I am so excited for you. Have you visited before? If not, you’re in for a real treat.

TeaBrat

No, I’ve never been there, I was in Vancouver a few years ago but this will be my first time in Victoria. I’m so excited!

I got a sudden craving for chai tonight, so I made myself an iced cup.

This kinda another dud by Peet’s as far as I’m concerned. I was happy to see the cinnamon bark and ginger pieces when I made it, but their flavors are weak. The coarse black tea they used overpowers it. When I go for chai, I go for something heavy on the spices and complex. This will do for now, but it’s making me really miss Adagio’s Thai Chai.

Thought this sample bag from Spencer might be strong enough to overcome the unfamiliar water issue—and it does. The little bit of coffee residue from a shared Kuerig even blends in pretty nicely. Looking forward to a pure, unadulterated, familiar cuppa of anything very soon.

Notes to myself. A bit more mild than what I had expected after reading about chai teas. 5 min and not much flavor other than clove. A pinch of sugar increases the flavors.

Okay, I’ll admit it. I don’t really like chai. I bought an entire tin of this to try it out, and I don’t think I’ll finish this even if I had 2 years. It’s the peppercorn and ginger, I’m not used to having that in drinks at all. The tea itself isn’t that bad, but the flavorings just make it seem like something I’d cook with, not drink. I’m not going to give this too low of a rating though, since it’s certainly not that bad for most people if you add warm milk in a 1:1 ratio to tea and dump at least two teaspoons of sugar (the directions actually say to do this, except 1 tsp sugar). But if you think pepper and ginger is weird in a drink, then you might want to stay away from this.

If I’m in an area where Peet’s is as prevalent as Starbucks, I’ll always choose this first. Steeped to perfection, not made from a concentrate: excellent on-the-go chai is hard to come by!

Not the best chai I’ve ever had, but not the worst either. Little overboard on the cardamom, making it almost bitter. Possibly overbrewed; not sure. Had this at the shop, so I didn’t brew it myself.

For 4/25 I drank 3 cups for breakfast.