Lion Mountain Keemun

Edit tea info Last updated by li-chan

• “I got this today on my way to the dentist this morning. I did like it at first, seemed smooth and rich with a slightly floral and piney flavor. As the cup cooled off, all the bitter and tobacco...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2160 tasting notes
  • “Friends I was with stopped at Peet's after lunch today. I wanted to try this Keemun and took the opportunity. The person preparing it for you puts the leaves into a T-Sac and adds the hot water...” Read full tasting note
    teaman 115 tasting notes
  • “KLM is certainly one of the better teas available through Peets. The leaves have a very pleasant aroma, slightly smoky aroma -- reminiscent of a church sanctuary infused with years of liturgical...” Read full tasting note
    krasiviye_slova 22 tasting notes
  • “Note: This tea spent five years aging in the tin prior to this post. I found this to be an especially nice black tea. It blends the smoke of a Lapsang (though obviously _much_ less intense) with...” Read full tasting note
    Iorek Byrnison 92 tasting notes

From Peet's Coffee & Tea

Smooth, sweet taste characteristic of the finest Keemun teas. Hints of pine and incense.

Keemun teas are grown in an area with dense forests and many mountain springs, on hills that form the northern tip of the Huang Shan mountain range. Lion Mountain Keemun is a rigorously graded tea, with only the smallest orange pekoe grade leaves selected for this type. The result is a highly uniform leaf, deep green to almost black, with little visible tip. The tea has a complex aroma, containing perfume-like orchid and smoky incense notes, while the cup is rich and concentrated with sweet, flinty, plum-like flavors. Keemuns are the best keeping of all black teas, mellowing with age but keeping their sweet and aromatic character.

About Peet's Coffee & Tea View company

I got this today on my way to the dentist this morning. I did like it at first, seemed smooth and rich with a slightly floral and piney flavor. As the cup cooled off, all the bitter and tobacco type notes came out… then it was definitely less enjoyable. At one point I accidentally choked on it and spit it out all over my raincoat. I’ll need to try this again someday.

Azzrian

ROFL!! I love how it was nasty and you sit it out on your rain coat but are still willing to give it another go! :)

TeaBrat

ha! Well, I haven’t been feeling too good today so I’m not entirely sure it’s the fault of tea. :)

Friends I was with stopped at Peet’s after lunch today. I wanted to try this Keemun and took the opportunity. The person preparing it for you puts the leaves into a T-Sac and adds the hot water and hands it to you, telling you to remove the leaves after 5 minutes. Ha! I thought to myself. I steep most if not all black teas no more than 3 minutes to avoid bitterness, if a tea is to have any. So I removed the T-Sac after about 3. The brew has a mild version of the “keemun” flavoring, the hint of smokiness and pine, but is not very distinct. I found this to be an ok tea but I’m not sure I’d ever spend the money for a can of this tea. If you like the “keemun” flavoring like I do, there are some fantastic Keemuns out there.

KLM is certainly one of the better teas available through Peets. The leaves have a very pleasant aroma, slightly smoky aroma — reminiscent of a church sanctuary infused with years of liturgical incense. The first steeping is a little harsher than ideal for my taste, needing a touch of honey to counterbalance it. The second steeping is much mellower and pleasant to drink straight.

Note: This tea spent five years aging in the tin prior to this post.

I found this to be an especially nice black tea. It blends the smoke of a Lapsang (though obviously much less intense) with a woodsy tobacco sort of flavor – so, it’s a Keemun. If you’re not into smoky woodsy teas, this might well be your least favorite black tea aside from Lapsang Souchong – but if you are, this is pretty good.

A Keemun will generally take being left on the shelf for years pretty well, so in my case the unintentional five year aging served to dramatically mellow out the bite, bringing it down to almost pu-erh levels of not-bitter. I found that to compliment the flavor pretty well – so while I wouldn’t necessarily recommend five years… this is one you can give a few of aging for a mellower profile, and it certainly holds up fine if you’re slow to finish the tin.

I can’t rate it especially highly because it didn’t wow me, but it’s definitely good, and I wouldn’t turn it down. I tend to spoil my palate with super-fancy teas, and I can see this blowing some minds if one is new to loose-leaf brewed right.

This tea, although an Orange Pekoe, (The tea type that ruled western brewers for a very long time, who also made it terribly) Lion Mountain Keemun can be made anew! Since it is a small leaf bud-set tea, only 1 teaspoon is needed per 6 ounces of water. 1 steep is all that can be done to ensure the best flavor though. so double the amount of tea and water when you brew. Rinse, then infuse all of the tea,after 3 minutes, pour 6 oz out, then after 5 minutes, poor the rest out. This ensures the best from this black tea!

I just don’t like smoky pine tasting teas; even though this is mellower that Lapsang Souchong, it still just isn’t my cup of tea.