Pumphrey's Blend

Black Green Herbal Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by DavidT

• “A friend shared; the pound her hubby ordered is not dwindling as fast as she'd like. I am not a jasmine fan, and have had mixed luck with black/green blends, but this is pretty tasty....” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1702 tasting notes
  • “This is my favorite tea, and I became very attached to it since I drink it almost every evening in the winter, with a little local basswood honey. When it was discontinued I was pretty bummed out....” Read full tasting note
    walk2iron 1 tasting notes
  • “A friend says: In the words of the oldest man in the house,"this was nummy". For a first time sipper, it was quite pleasant on a blustery December day. Edit: I served my last cup of this up to...” Read full tasting note
    davidt 22 tasting notes

From Peet's Coffee & Tea

A proprietary blend of black and green teas. Complex, brisk cup with a fresh and flowery aroma.

It’s unusual to blend black and green teas, because the flavors are so different; but our Pumphrey’s Blend is a blend of exactly that. Blending tea is art for the palate, and science for the leaves themselves, which should be of a fairly regular size for consistent mixing. The blend incorporates black teas from both India and China, green tea, and jasmine-scented green tea. The result is a complex, brisk cup with a fresh and flowery aroma. Pumphrey’s Blend is a longtime favorite at Peet’s for serving iced.

About Peet's Coffee & Tea View company

A friend shared; the pound her hubby ordered is not dwindling as fast as she’d like.

I am not a jasmine fan, and have had mixed luck with black/green blends, but this is pretty tasty. Pleasantly reminds me of Tazo’s Joy, which I loved at the outset, but had terrible problems getting it to come out consistently—couldn’t find the right time/temp sweet spot.

(This note might be a moot point at this point, though…I don’t see this blend offered on the Peet’s website currently.)

This is my favorite tea, and I became very attached to it since I drink it almost every evening in the winter, with a little local basswood honey. When it was discontinued I was pretty bummed out. However, I have figured out a pretty good ‘reconstruction’ of this tea, using the bulk teas available in the spice department of whole foods: 2 parts ceylon, one part jasmine, and 1/2 part sencha.

A friend says:

In the words of the oldest man in the house,“this was nummy”. For a first time sipper, it was quite pleasant on a blustery December day.

Edit: I served my last cup of this up to my friend. I normally wouldn’t have brewed up the last pinch of one of my favorite teas, but he had never tried it before.

I remember this tea as being a wonderful mix of flavors. A medium coppery brew had robust black tea notes, as well as finer flowery and mild grassy green nuances that blended perfectly with just the right amount of jasmine flowers. This tea displayed none of the usual “chalky” betterness that I usually associate with jasmine teas. A wonderful anytime tea that I will definitely be purchasing more of.