Quangzhou Milk Oolong

From Pekko Teas

Country of Origin: China
Region: Wuyi Mountains
Grade: Milk Oolong
Altitude: 1500 – 4000 ft. above sea level.
Manufacture Type: Traditional orthodox
Cup Characteristics: A most unique character best described as ‘premium oolong with sweet milk and light orchid notes
peeking out from camellia depths’.
Infusion: Tending greenish
Ingredients: Luxury oolong tea

About Pekko Teas View company

This came courtesy of Pekko Teas. Thanks!

I had a bad first experience with milk oolongs, and even after having tried Teavivre’s excellent ones, I’m still a bit wary of them. Still, I had to give this one a go!

The leaves are tightly rolled and fairly large. They smell REALLY creamy, sort of like rice pudding. I get a hint of the described orchid.

The creaminess comes out, but it’s not overwhelming. I definitely tasted the oolong itself, and that does a lot to ground the milk flavor. The floral-ness of this is great.

Thanks, Pekko!

I think this is the one I received but I haven’t had a chance to try it yet. Looking forward to this after your review :)

It’s great! I’m on my third mug and it’s still going strong!

I haven’t been too impressed with the milk oolongs I’ve had. Interested to see how this compares.

Yeah, they’re usually not what I reach for, and like I said the first one I had kind of frightened me. Still, I’m always willing to try them. I liked Teavivre’s, and while this isn’t quite as good as those, it’s not awful.

Hesper June

I just wrote my review and now I am reading the other reviews on this tea, and I am surprised to see you got the rice pudding note too!
Glad I am not crazy;)

So I guess when you deprive yourself of tea long enough, it tastes utterly amazing when you get back to it! First cup of milk oolong in a long while, and it was absolutely heavenly. This packet resides at the boyfriend’s house for the time being, which was a great thing to have remembered last night :D

A sipdown! I haven’t had one in days!
This was a generous sample that was sent to me from Michelle months ago. This isn’t the first time I’ve sampled it, but I think this was my first milk oolong, & it is a pleasant cup, very gentle, lightly floral, & there is a milky quality to it. On rare occasions I add coconut or almond milk to tea, but I personally would never ever add milk to an Oolong. Nonetheless, this is a nice tea, & now it’s gone. Thanks Michelle :)

Milk and oolong do sound like an odd combination.

Terri HarpLady

Yeah! Of course, there is no actual milk in it, just a mildly milky taste & feel.

Hello, Dear Steepster Folks.
I have missed you.
I found myself with a small bit of time and wanted to touch base with friends and drink tea, so here I am.
This is only the second Milk Oolong that I have ever tried.
This tea smells rather delicate and a little baked good-ish.
It is a lovely pale yellow in color.
I can taste the orchid notes and something that almost reminds me of sweet rice pudding.
I am not really sure what a Milk Oolong is supposed to taste like, but I do really like this tea.
Thank you, Pekko Teas, for sending me a generous sample.

Welcome back Hesper June !

Yay welcome back!

Hesper June

Thanks…its good to be back:)

Yay! You’re back! :)

Sooooo as some of you may know, I am NOT a fan of oolongs. Pekko Teas sent me this as their sample so I am nonethless trying it and will likely pop it into the travelling tea box so that others can enjoy the GENEROUS sample they provided. In that way I’ll be able to help share the wealth and give them back a little something for sending the tea my way.

I am also not rating this tea because of the fact that I generally dislike oolongs and i don’t want that reflected on Pekko teas. The leaves of this oolon are super tightly coiled. As for the taste? It’s an oolong :) There’s not an overwhelming floral taste from this, so that’s good. It’s light and those who enjoy oolongs would probably appreciate this tea. I hope that whomever gets this after me enjoys it!

Ooh! Any chance you could set aside a sample of this one for me, if you’re planning to get rid of it anyhow? :)

Of course! Happy to share to help Pekko tea. The sample they sent is basically an order lol

1.25 tablespoons for 375 ml of water.

The brewed tea has an enchanting milky-floral aroma. These scents transfer to the flavour. I’m getting a heavy cream mouth-feel with floral notes in the background. Sweetness throughout. Hint of tangy-ness.

Second infusion at 4 minutes. Hint of banana flavour.

Third infusion at 5.3 minutes. Detecting the tangy grapefruit taste that I have found to associate with other milk oolongs in the past.

Thank you to Indigobloom and Sil for sharing this with me!

Can’t wait to try this one!

Oops! Sorry Sil! I get the hint ;)

Hahaha I’m such a dork :)

Looking forward to the end of January !

The leaves smell wonderful – my first impression is high sweet sugary notes of cream and sugar cane. Delicious.
The liquor is much lighter than I expected and has a wonderful creamy milky oolong scent.
The taste of this is different from the other milky oolongs I have tried. It has a really really nice creaminess and a wonderful, exquisit aftertaste. The main flavor profile has a funny kind of bite along with it, almost along the lines of something fermented (which I guess milk oolongs are?) I had never gotten that from any of the other milk oolongs I have tried. It’s an element I’m not sure if I care for entirely, but I like it enough that I’m proceeding to the second steep, so that says something!
The second steep was a little mellower. I upped the steep time to three minutes. The milky flavor was still there and there was less of the bite I had been getting.
I think this is my favorite milk oolong so far!

this is the one they sent me..just havent had a second to review it yet. It’s oolong, so not my favoured tea but we’ll see. your review gives me hope

Last sample from a swap with Sil. I figured I should get through all of the stuff she sent me in our last swap before we do our next.

This milk oolong smells very pleasant. Like a creamy oolong, I wanted to say there was a jasmine smell to it, but that must be the orchid.

The tea tastes creamy, milky, lightly oxidized oolong. There is a flowery taste to the tea which I would assume to be the orchid, but it tastes similar to jasmine, in my opinion.

The tea nuggets unfurled nicely during the steep, but looks like there could dbe many more steeps out of it.