Celtic Twist

Burnt, Whiskey, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by MissB

From Pekoe Tea Lounge

A fine Ceylon blend infused with the flavour of Irish Whiskey.

About Pekoe Tea Lounge View company

I was staying in the area for a follow-up appointment with a doctor at Vancouver General, and this place was conveniently two blocks down both from my hotel and the hospital. It was earlier afternoon and I hadn’t had lunch so I ordered a slice of quiche and a pot of this tea. I love how they serve the tea in a little french press and you get to choose from a collection of pretty teas cups to drink your tea out of.

The quiche was decent, if not spectacular, but the tea was wonderful. It had a nice Ceylon base that complimented the oaky-peaty flavour of the whiskey. I had the first cup plain and the rest with milk and found that I enjoyed it equally both ways. Next time I’m back that way I’ll definitely buy some of the loose leaf tea.

A sample from Miss B. This has got to be one of the more intriguing teas I’ve tried in a while, and I think only the second whiskey flavoured tea I’ve ever come across. I used 1 tsp of leaf, and gave it 3.5 minutes in boiling water. When I returned to the kitchen I really could smell whiskey, so it’s probably a good thing that I was the only one around at the time. There might have been raised eyebrows, given the conservative nature of the office I work in. I don’t need shock and scandal with my tea on a Friday morning, thanks. It had brewed up pretty dark in any case, so I added a splash of milk.

To taste, it’s actually pretty nice. It’s a lot less harsh in flavour than I was expecting, given the scent. The whiskey is very prominent, with oaky, grain-like notes, and it lingers in the form of a delicious warmth – almost a glow – in the aftertaste. The base tea is smooth and very lightly malty, with maybe just the tiniest hint of citrus. It works really well with the much stronger whiskey, creating a very mellow vibe overall. I’d seriously consider keeping this one around, especially during the winter. A surprise hit!

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

I prepared this tea without looking up what the name meant. After reading this information, I can only agree: one really taste the whiskey barrels. Be careful to not make the first steep too strong (the tea has a strong taste), like I did, because there was some harshness to the taste, which disappeared in subsequent steepings.

missB sent this one my way. it’s an intersting tea…not really sure how i feel about it. I think i’m landing on the side of, thanks but no thanks… this has a quite distinctive taste…and i’d argue that once it cools a bit, it does start to taste more like a stronger alcohol…which, lets be honest, if i’m going for that, i might as well drink the alcohol! still, a unique tea to try. thanks missb!

Hm. Much better cooled than hot. The whiskey flavor comes out more, although it did get slightly bitter cooled. Hot, it was just a plain black Tea. Still nice, although I think I prefer O’Connor ’s Cream.

2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML