'05 Pu-Er

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by DC

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Whoops. I got this one quite a while ago and tried it and thought I reviewed it. Obviously not, as I discovered when I came here to see what my thoughts were back then. I have tried a few more...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 696 tasting notes

From Peony Tea S.

Production area: Xishuangbanna, Yunnan
Harvest time: 2005

Type:

Dark tea- ‘Ripe pu-er’/ Shu pu (熟普)

Summary:

From the moment it enters your mouth, this ’05 Pu-er feels smooth and silky. It slithers down your throat and a recurring sweetness wells up, enticing you to pour another cup. If you started drinking Pu-er just for weight loss, you don’t know what you are missing. Our ’05 Pu-er is delicious to the last drop and stands up to many steeps.

Taste:

Smooth, sweet and lingering recurring sweetness

Liquor:

Dark maroon with shiny, lustrous surface

Personality:

There’s a matured charm about our ’05 Pu-er and it’s not just because of age. She has an elegant, sophisticated air that is paradoxically subtle and strong at the same time.

About Peony Tea S. View company

1 Tasting Note

Whoops. I got this one quite a while ago and tried it and thought I reviewed it. Obviously not, as I discovered when I came here to see what my thoughts were back then. I have tried a few more puerh in the interim and find myself enjoying shu more than sheng, for now at least. I want to love puerh as it seems like the next logical step for a black tea lover like myself but sometimes I strain to find the flavours that others get – I seem stuck at wet wood and barn. Enjoyable, but hardly full of nuance.

Today I steeped this up with the beau after failing to see Thor (they sold out while we were in line!) and a delicious supper of ginger chicken. I ate too much and am hoping that pu will work it’s magic and keep my tummy happy.

I steeped this in a pot for convenience rather than gongfu style, but it still came out fairly well. I was afraid of accidentally making it too potent so I went a bit lighter on the leaf (one heaping “perfect” teaspoon at 2.5 minutes). This made just enough for each of us to have one cup and it was pretty darn good. The aroma at first was much like the dry leaf, with the wet wood, hay and leather aromas I associate with puerh. The taste had a bit of that at the start but in the aftertaste there was a lingering sweetness and it was very clean with no bitterness. I probably could have pushed it a little more on time or leaf, but this was a really easy drinking cup and it stood up to the western style brewing very well. I look forward to trying it in different ways.