PG Tips

Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by Cpt Bob Petersen

• “I finally got a box of this last evening. So though I typically like to brew a pot of loose leaf tea on weekend mornings, and I just got several other fun teas from Tealuxe, I was excited to start...” Read full tasting note
    laurenpressley 796 tasting notes
  • “Two cups this morning first thing. Take my daughter to preschool for her first full day then come home to enjoy one of my last lazy mornings before I start work tomorrow. Third cup with a buttery...” Read full tasting note
    rabbysmom 92 tasting notes
  • “So, I've stopped just logging my teas if I don't have anything new to add to because then my log would get a bit out of hand. So don't think I'm not drinking my tea, I'm just being lazy about...” Read full tasting note
    teafiend 61 tasting notes
  • “We had an English pub open up right down the street from us less than a month ago. I stopped by there this evening after dropping the husband off at the airport. We've been there twice before and I...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 582 tasting notes

From PG Tips

PG Tips has been the best known and most popular brand of tea in the UK for over 75 years. Stronger than most Indian and African teas, PG Tips has a similar taste to our English Breakfast Tea.

Always innovating and improving its products, PG Tips features pyramid-shaped tea bags, which allow more room for tea to infuse and produce a better flavor. The Freeflow material used in PG Tips tea bags is made of webbed fibers, which allow water to pass through the filter, reaching the tea quickly and decreasing the brewing time. The Freeflow Pyramid bags result in fast brewing and a superior taste.

Contents: 40 teabags, 4.4 oz

About PG Tips View company

BLERG. My allegies have hit something fierce, even though I’m taking allergy pills every day. A combination of cat and springtime is killing my senses. Ughhhhhhh.

That said, I filmed an episode of Coronation Street on Friday, and it went really well. I do hope they invite me back to reprise my role sometime. I can’t say much more because spoilers, but hopefully I won’t forget to check when it’s on! Anywho. Hoovered about 5 cups of this throughout the day, and as far as basic tea goes, I do prefer it to some. It’s quite strong, so to be honest I only brew it for a minute while stirring my sugar in and then dump the bag. It’s not got that sort of cardboard taste you get with some basic black teas that I find really blech. It’s pretty strong and smooth.

Also, on an almost totally unrelated note, yesterday was Gentleman’s birthday party, and along with the vegetable lasagne and roast and vegetables and salad and garlic bread and everything, I made a Doctor Who Death To The Daleks quarry cake. It was a dark chocolate and tonka bean sponge sandwiched with tonka bean buttercream, enveloped in dark chocolate ganache, and scattered with a cascading landslide of cornflake-marshmallow cookie crumb soil, and the TARDIS and a small army of Daleks dotting the landscape. I’m stupidly proud of this thing.

Yep.

Christina

Congratulations on your guest spot! I don’t watch Corrie, but my mother-in-law does. I wonder if the episodes air at the same time in both countries? Also, that cake sounds delish.

carol who

What a cute cake! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Sipdown. Finally!

There’s not too much that can be said about this – a pretty decent English brew. Drank with green milk and a sugar, and chosen because of it’s plainness as my last cup of caffeinated tea for the day. This was the last bag from a box of 160, and has been the last bag for a while – the box went down a lot quicker initially than it did towards the end, as I expanded my range of loose-leaf teas. Actually, by the end of it, I think my partner drank more of it than I did.

Probably won’t purchase again, unless I’m in a pinch money-wise, because I have (in my opinion) some better teabags courtesy of Rington’s which I choose over these if I want a plain cup of bog-standard builder’s brew.

This particular cup was more earthy than I remembered from plain old PG tips, with a tiny bit of a fishy taste at the end of the sip that I don’t much care for. An average cuppa for an average night, and not a sipdown that I’m sad about.

adagio breeze

Green milk?

Nattie

Yeah, I realised that sounded weird after I posted it haha. By green milk I meant milk with a green lid, i.e. semi-skimmed, or 2% milk.

Eh…my buddy from England raves about how good this tea is, so I stole one of his tea bags while he was gone. I brewed it relatively modest for a black tea. It was ok…definitely a bit bitter, even with a sugar-in-the-raw packet. Nothing special; tasted like a typical teabag to me. Maybe a little better quality than most of the tea bags I’ve had in my time. But still pretty average. Was picking up hints of a napkin-fabric taste…don’t know if it was from the fibers of the tea bag or not..?

180 °F / 82 °C 2 min, 0 sec 0 OZ / 0 ML

As good as any basic black tea could get! I decided to pick this up on a whim at our local World Market just because I’ve heard it’s the “perfect daily cuppa.” I’ve had “better” teas before, yes, but I think this does a wonderful job of being consistently wonderful. It’s a great thing to have on hand when you want something warm in your belly, and, with some milk and stevia, it’s my favorite everyday brew.

Commoner’s Tea- I hate to sound condescending, but this tea has a smoky, acrid taste that is disgusting. This tea can be best described as glorified dirt that looks more like crack or opium; rather than tea.

A nice black tea. It was recommended to me by a half-British woman, who lives in the US, because it’s one of her favorites. And it doesn’t disappoint. The tea has a smooth flavor, and a decent pick-me-up from caffeine. It’s a nice tea for breakfast.

I prefer tea plain, and PG tips can stand on its own when plain. The box recommends trying sugar, honey, milk, or lemon. I still need to experiment on that front.

PGTips has to be the most all-round well-made, durable tea of all time. it puts up with whatever you throw at it (although i prefer to stop steeping around 3-4 minutes) and keeps on going. even iced, this tea is just the nummiest. add a TON of sugar and you’ve got sweet tea that would make a southern belle smile! now, pardon me while i go have me a cuppa…

This tea is really nothing fancy but it is delicious all the same. I like it steeped for about a minute and a half. Two minutes is fine too, but any longer than that and the tannins take over. I then sweeten it with a 1/4 tsp of sugar and a splash of whole milk.

Currently my favorite black tea. I like to let it steep for a little while because I like my tea kind of strong. Also good with milk and sugar, but I prefer it straight.