2004 Old Youle Ripe Pu-erh Tea Brick

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaLam

From PuerhShop.com

This brick was made of old arbor leaves from Youle mountain. Be prepared to be impressed by its mellow, smooth, sweet taste, and that beautiful wine color. The best tasting brick we got in 2010 – easily beat up what’s the name: Dayi.

The half kilo brick would bring you more than a month of non-stop fun, and real enjoyment every day. It’s a promise.

• Brick Pu-erh Tea Sampler 21g
  • Fermented
  • Vintage 2004
  • Premium class
  • Loose tea leaves
  • Caffeine: Moderate

About PuerhShop.com View company

Started this one yesterday and just continued on into this morning. I am used to shou being very dark. This one was clear and the color of sun tea – light orange. The wet leaf is very dark and musty/earthy smelling but the brew is extreme mellow horse tack. Very, very easy to drink. I started with a 30s steep and the last I let steep about 4 minutes to see if it would turn inky. The answer is nope. A very nice poo-air.

__Morgana__

Poo-air. ;-)

boychik

I like it a lot

mrmopar

poo-air is good!

K S

It’s funny, it is hard enough to find agreement on how to spell it puer – puerh, much less how it is properly pronounced. Poo-air is my best guess. Here locally IF they have even heard of it they are more likely to pronounce it pure-ray (yeah, we’re hicks) or less likely pew-err.

gmathis

…and then they snicker about poo in tea. I live among barbarians.

boychik

My hubby jokes that I’m drinking compost. Sometimes he steals a cup from me

TeaExplorer

Funny … my wife refers to it as compost as well :/
The barbarians are at our very gates!

K S

The first puerh I bought was not a good one. I recorded it as smelling like fish wrapped in newspaper and stored in a damp cellar. I drank it anyway. Fortunately, this one has no fish heads. The compost smell does tend to keep the barbarians out of my cup. Apparently boychik isn’t as lucky, or her husband is a closet one of us. Gabba gabba hey! (obscure Ramones reference)

mrmopar

We don’t like fish heads much. I saw Andrew Zimmerman eat some “stinkheads” in Alaska I think. One taste and he was done.

As the description listed this pu’erh is quite smooth. The dry leaf has a pleasant aroma that is devoid of any earthy,aqautic,or vegetive notes. Instead I find it to be floral and sweet. The liquor is the wine like red, with a touch of brown,that I’ve found common with all of the pu’erhs I’ve tasted. It’s flavor has an earthy sweetness about it, with the sweet lingering notably in my palate. I detect a hint of something minty, though I’m not sure what, maybe spearmint. This will be the second time in a week that I’ve denoted a toothpaste- minty fresh kind of flavor. The drink is refreshing with not enough astringency to make mention of. This could be an ideal pu’erh to replace any bad experience someone could’ve had with pu’erhs in the past.I’m really enjoying this one, and I’m on my fourth steeping at the time of the writing. Thanks Puerhshop.com!Great cuppa!

tunes=Mumford and Sons(yes more Mumford)-White Blank Page/Thistle and Weeds/
Dust Bowl Dance/After the Storm/I Gave You All/Liar.

Doug F

I should receive my pu erh shop order tomorrow. Looking forward to some new pu erhs. Are you an Avett Brothers fan as well?

tunes&tea Starting to dig Avett Bros, just got learned ’bout ’em. Serious sound they got, lotsa talent.
Thomas Edward(Toad)

This is a nice cup of tea, I like Mumford and Sons also my favs is the Cave and Little lion man :)

Wow this is a rich bang up shu! Well worth the cost.Multiple steeps continue to fill the cup with flavor.

Had This one this morning before heading out to the hospital to be with my husband, i wont be making many teanotes or anything this week cuz ill be up here most of the time till he comes home. I like this Tea too it is realy good over ice in the car.

Overall I find this a fairly sweet and rounded edged ripe puerh that is overall light in its feel and taste. Overall a good light puerh but I do not think it is worth a few cents short of $30 for a 450g brick, so I am very glad that this is a free sample that I’m drinking.