2009 Mengku Ancient Yun Pu-erh Tea Cake

Pu-erh Tea
Astringent, Flowers, Peach, Pleasantly Sour, Smoke
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaLam
200 °F / 93 °C

• “This is the first real sheng pu-erh tea I've had so I can't say that I have anything to compare it to. However I did find this tea very enjoyable. The leaves let off a very strong peachy sweet...” Read full tasting note
    TeaLam 15 tasting notes
  • “Wow. I ordered a 357g cake of this, and boy am I impressed. It's actually a rather subtle and complex mouthfull, with hints of flowers, peach skin, and an ever so slight grassiness. Of course,...” Read full tasting note
    lukep 15 tasting notes

From PuerhShop.com

The cake was made of the old tree material harvested in 2009 Spring, Mengku area, a collection piece with limited production.

The tea leaves are not ‘baked’ dry, but sun dried, which I consider an important factor for a long term aging. The old tradition is good to follow.

The brewed tea is aromatic, typical Lincang flavour and a good sweet aftertaste.

* Green Pu-erh tea cake 357g * Vintage 2009
  • Raw/Green/Unfermented
  • Premium class
  • Loose tea leaves
  • Caffeine: Moderate
  • Special-Reserve

About PuerhShop.com View company

This is the first real sheng pu-erh tea I’ve had so I can’t say that I have anything to compare it to. However I did find this tea very enjoyable.

The leaves let off a very strong peachy sweet aroma after the first rinse. The tea soup was a nice golden-yellow color. The tea itself was full-bodied, velvety smooth and sweet with notes of peaches and flowers. The finish was clean and there was no astringency at all, even at the 12th infusion. There was a bit of chalkiness, but not in a displeasing way.

The strength was nice throughout the whole sitting with the peachy sweetness coming in still at the end. There isn’t a whole lot of complexity to the tea, but it was still very pleasing and enjoyable. A nice daily tea, and for the price I might actually buy the whole cake.

Steeped in a 180 ml gaiwan for 12 infusions.

200 °F / 93 °C

Wow.

I ordered a 357g cake of this, and boy am I impressed.

It’s actually a rather subtle and complex mouthfull, with hints of flowers, peach skin, and an ever so slight grassiness. Of course, being a young pu-erh, there’s plenty of astringency too. However, it’s far from overwhelming and is balanced by a faint smokiness.

The leaves were very loose around the edge of the cake, so I was able to use nothing but my hands for the first taste.

The spent leaves are full and luscious.

Worth the money and then some.

Flavors: Astringent, Flowers, Peach, Pleasantly Sour, Smoke

SimpliciTEA

This one sounds like a good one, too. I am always on the lookout for teas that are a great value, as I live on a very limited budget.

lukep

I’m currently drinking it again. No change. It’s still great. Some really huge leaves. I’d say it’s just old enough to enjoy, even if it is by no means mellow.

SimpliciTEA