8681 Tangerine Wrapped Pu-erh Tea

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by John Grebe

• “*Tommy The Toad* Thanks so much for this one! To me...this smells like semi-burnt rice, pu-erh, and tangerine. It infuses to a medium-dark brown. This is better than I thought it would be....” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “I thought i would realy like this one but i just didnt care for it much, i think maybe i dont care for the flavor that the orange gives to it i also broke up some of the peel to steep with it and...” Read full tasting note
    toadman208 473 tasting notes
  • “Orange puerh is one of the few flavored teas that I still drink where I break up the orange peel that it was packed into and brew it with the tea leaves. The result is a sweet ripe puerh with...” Read full tasting note
    JohnGrebe 224 tasting notes

From PuerhShop.com

The label reads ‘A scent of girls’, I am wondering about that.

The tangerine wrapped Pu-erh tea was made of large tea leaves harvested in Yunnan, and produced in Guangdong, and it had underwent proper aging. The ‘Gold Horse’ brand tangerine wrapped Pu-erh tea by Hoshan Tea Institute of Science and Research is famous in China.

This tea should be brewed with broken pieces of the tangerine skin included for its taste and medical value, it brews a clear soup, rich in flavor, with smell and taste of citrus, highly recommended.

18g-25g each
Vintage 2008
Fermented
Premium class
Loose tea leaves
Caffeine: Moderate
Each order is one piece. One piece is good enough for 3-4 sessions that brew up to 20 nice cups of tea.

About PuerhShop.com View company

Tommy The Toad Thanks so much for this one!

To me…this smells like semi-burnt rice, pu-erh, and tangerine.

It infuses to a medium-dark brown.

This is better than I thought it would be. The Tangerine flavors are a nice compliment but not overdone. There is some sort of burnt rice flavor in there, too. The Pu-erh isn’t overpowering either. There are even bit of cocoa powder type flavors I am picking up right at the beginning of the sip.

The more I drink this the more I am liking it. Not bad at all.

I infused it for about half the time TTT did – at about 1 minute.

Bonnie

Did you have this in a gaiwan with a little piece of the peel? I’ve only had some with no peel and it it wasn’t burnt tasting but light and delicate with a citrus scent.

TeaEqualsBliss

I used a stainless steel strainer AKA brewing basket. I had a bit of the peel, yes. Oddly – I kind of like the semi-burnt rice flavor…that might be weird…lol…

Bonnie

Not at all. In Puerto Rico the rice that sticks to the bottom of the pot is called “pegao” and is crispy and tasty and a favorite. It’s usually toasty brown and sometimes almost…but never…burned. One of the things I learned to make when I lived there.

JC

Meeeehhhh. I’m from Puerto Rico. Pegao and burnt are miles apart lol. But I’m glad you know about that Bonnie! I miss that. I think it was because of the ‘caldero’ used to make the rice is hard to make it so it doesn’t stick, after hundred of years I guess people went “Rice cracker!”. LOL

Claire

I like the semi-burnt rice flavor too! My mom’s parents were from Spain, and my grandma’s paella always had sticky-crunchy rice at the bottom of the pot. I loved that stuff.

JC

Love Paella. We have too much of our food thanks to the Spanish influence so it might be part of it. Now I’m hungry again :P

TeaEqualsBliss

OKAY…now I’m on the hunt for a solid Vegan Paella Recipe :)

Shmiracles

vegan paella! word up!

TeaEqualsBliss

I might try this one! What do you all think?

JC

Sound nice! I would add some mushrooms to have something else going on. The food network one with zucchini… I’m not sure maybe it will work but I wouldn’t make it myself. Good Luck and Enjoy!

Terri HarpLady

TeaEqualsBliss: I have an awesome vegan paella recipe around here too, I’ll dig it out & send it to you.

Terri HarpLady

I’ve been wanting to try these tangerines filled with puer! I saw them on ebay, & they look interesting!

TeaEqualsBliss

Terri – that would be awesome if you could send me the recipe!!! Thanks!

Terri HarpLady

T=B – I dug around & found several, & I posted one (that I know was a favorite) over in the Discussions area on the recipe page. I’m thinking there may be another one that’s even better, & if I find it, I’ll post it too. Meanwhile, I also posted an awesome Tabbouleh recipe that I love. It’s pretty different from your usual version. Enjoy!

I thought i would realy like this one but i just didnt care for it much, i think maybe i dont care for the flavor that the orange gives to it i also broke up some of the peel to steep with it and to me it gave it an almost spicy flavor, it reminded me of the instant teas in a jar with powdered Tang mixed in that my mother use to get around the holidays, i havent drank it since its been cold outside tho so maybe it will be better in the wintertime. i got 3 of them and gave 2 to my brother and i still have my 1 lol.

mrmopar

try steeping it for about 30 seconds it makes the orange much milder.

Orange puerh is one of the few flavored teas that I still drink where I break up the orange peel that it was packed into and brew it with the tea leaves. The result is a sweet ripe puerh with heavy citrus flavor, which results in a very enjoyable casual drinking ripe puerh.