2011 MGH 1104 Ripe Pu-erh Tea Brick

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Thomas Edward(Toad)

From PuerhShop.com

The great tradition continues with ready to drink ripen tea leaves that are 5 years old.

We decided to use old vintage ripen tea leaves fermented in 2006 for our MGH 1104 brick. Now you would enjoy a smooth drink without ‘Duiwei’ (People describe it as pond, fishy, a strange smell of new ripe Pu-erh that many not used to).

About PuerhShop.com View company

Having this one again. Has been a while since the last time, but is still delivering a nice cup.The vanilla is still there in the background maybe muted a bit in the age process.

DigniTea

I also enjoy this one.

Thank you, boychik, for the sample of this! :)

The aroma is very much reminiscent of walnut. The taste is quite mellow, smooth, a hint of cream and vanilla. It is a perfectly fine Shu. Not very contemplative, however, perfect if you are looking for a shou to accompany a meal, as the notes are not very powerful. I will definitely have to pick up a brick of this.

boychik

glad you like it. its perfect everyday shu if you just want to drink and not bother with notes.

mrmopar

+1 for everyday. This one can do the trick.

boychik

I picked it based on your recommendation and others reviews as well, mrmopar

mrmopar

Thanks I am flattered that you trusted me that much! I am the only one in the house that drinks the “Barn” smelling tea! I do like how this one brews up always dark and an almost bittersweet chocolate note to it.

This one still tastes nice to me.

Before brewing I split the mini brick in half down the middle to decrease the thickness to avoid having problems of it not wanting to open up enough to brew properly. Overall a decent ripe puerh that holds true to the vendor claims but without a doubt the 2011 MGH 1108 brick is a bit better so unless you really want the mini brick style I would say go with that one instead.

Before I get into it, I want to give the biggest thanks to boychik for sending me this. THANK YOU!!! :)

I’m completely new to pu erh, so forgive me, as I lack the experience to properly assess this tea…
The first steep smelled like chocolate quick bread—warm and doughy, with that baking powder tang in the back of my throat on the inhale (which is a weird thing I love about some baked goods—that tang)….smooth and batter-like.
On tasting, there’s a slight tang, like from pancake batter—that same tang I could detect in the scent before sipping… I could get addicted to this.

2nd steep: The liquor is much darker, almost coffee coloured. The tea smells like yeasted waffles….and it TASTES like yeasted waffles… Oh, nom, nom, nom!! There’s a note of raisins with a sweetness that starts at the middle and lingers until long after I swallow… still buttery and smooth.

3rd steep: Still getting the baked good/yeasted waffle scent, but now I’m picking up a bit of creaminess along with it… like I’ve thrown a dollop of fresh whipped cream on top of my baked treat. Hello yummy! Yeasted waffle dusted with powdered sugar, topped with whipped cream…now throw in a bit of spiced raisin. This tea is unreal; I’ve never had anything like it before…

I’ll stop now, since I could go on forever…. This is fantastic.

boychik

yay, it makes me so happy that you like it. I see you obsessed with puerh in a near future.