2011 MGH 1109 Mangfei Green Pu-erh Tea Brick

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by tperez

• “Free sample w/purchase - thank you. I wasn't into sheng but wanted to try. It's nice, some astringent but pleasant. After I had 3 cups there is a tingling sensation in my mouth, kinda cool and...” Read full tasting note
    boychik 334 tasting notes
  • “I finally got around to trying this brick a couple weeks ago, and it's a killer bang for the buck. After gently opening the paper packaging (another great use for that tiny Tuocha pick!), I was...” Read full tasting note
    ilchymis 40 tasting notes

From PuerhShop.com

This brick is made by using Fall big tree materials from Mangfei, Yongde area. All hand made, it’s sweet, full of flavor, endurable, definitely a worthwhile tea for current consumption and long term storage.

It is a bit milder than MGH 1105 cake. For a sharp taste, go for a MGH 1105.

About PuerhShop.com View company

Free sample w/purchase – thank you. I wasn’t into sheng but wanted to try. It’s nice, some astringent but pleasant. After I had 3 cups there is a tingling sensation in my mouth, kinda cool and minty.
[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/2jfbrp.jpg[/IMG]

mrmopar

I have heard that Mangfei is pretty strong and bitter. I would think even more so in a young sheng.

boychik

Not bitter but hoppity. I feel like it bites my tongue even though I had it some time ago. Kinda seltzer sensation. But it’s not unpleasant to me. Maybe with longer steeps bitterness would come, but I play it safe with shortest possible and under oiling temp
Nice experience for sure

mrmopar

Yeah I have always wondered about Mangfei now I may have to get some! Blasted tea reviews!! :)

Terri HarpLady

(no comment) :)

boychik

Wow now I’m reading rave reviews of this tea on Puerhshop .com

I finally got around to trying this brick a couple weeks ago, and it’s a killer bang for the buck. After gently opening the paper packaging (another great use for that tiny Tuocha pick!), I was impressed by the relatively large leaves that comprised the outside of the brick. It’s not super-dense (like a particular 250g Douji “rock” that I ordered), but it’s firm enough that you’ll want a good picking utensil if you don’t want to mangle it completely.

Once I put the ~3g in my tiny, warmed Yixing pot, I combined my 10sec. wash and a 15sec. first steep into my faircup. I was very impressed by the slightly sweet/slightly astringent first cup, but I LOVED the silky mouthfeel and warming energy that popped up in the later infusions. Usually I’ll make a cup and get distracted by something else, but this one kept me coming back to see how the next cup progressed. I don’t know if I wasn’t using enough leaves (or if I timed my pours just right), but it never quite developed that bitter edge that I’ve come to associate with some young shengs.

I’ve had a couple other cakes and samples that fell flat or didn’t change too much after that first cup, and I’m excited to see how this one ages over time. For something I got on a whim, I’d certainly recommend this to beginners or pu-drinkers on a budget. I’m both of those things, and it worked out great for me.