2009 American Hao 0901 '7542' Pu-erh Tea Cake

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Cole

• “The very first impressions I have of this cake are of large, whole leaves. It looks just as nice as the picture on the site, but what you can't see is how the leaves inside the cake are sizable as...” Read full tasting note
    ilchymis 40 tasting notes
  • “Rounding out my tour of puerhshop teas this weekend, I tried this 7542 clone tea. The cake looks beautiful. Smells smoky. The tea is quite strong, I had to trim my usual over stuffing of the...” Read full tasting note
    Rdeitz 84 tasting notes

From PuerhShop.com

The first of its 2009 series, this cake is made by blending three tea leaves from Menghai, and one from Lincang – a famous 7542 recipe made with selected tea leaves. We also called it ‘Peacock Tribute’ (Chinese: 孔雀献瑞) but in a single color wrapper.

Hopefully this tea cake would stir up some interests towards American Hao as a quality value offer.

Because of its strong taste, it got ‘ohms’ to go a long way into aging, only time will tell.

Pu-erh Tea Cake 357g - Vintage 2009 - Medium class - Raw/Green/unfermented - Loose tea leaves - Caffeine: Moderate - PuerhShop Exclusive

The background info on this cake could be found at puerhshop.com

About PuerhShop.com View company

The very first impressions I have of this cake are of large, whole leaves. It looks just as nice as the picture on the site, but what you can’t see is how the leaves inside the cake are sizable as well. It’s pretty loosely compressed around the edges, and I’m able to pick off a lot of leaves just by rubbing my puerh pick along the edge. Dry, it has that characteristic smell of hay/alfalfa, in a “fresh” sort of way. Not overwhelmingly “compost-y” or bland.

For this particular session, I used about 4.5g of leaves in my tiny Yixing pot (which holds about ~80ml at max).

The rinse tastes very light, brisk, and refreshing; while the first real steeping has hints of its characteristic “sharp” edge with a surprisingly smooth finish. I quickly notice a bit of warmth coursing through my extremities, and my head feels a little lighter. The color is a deep caramel, and leaves a pleasantly sweet aftertaste. When it cools, the bitterness is more pronounced.

The next steeping feels “stronger” in every way; including bitterness, mouthfeel, and slightly smoky/sweet aftertaste. Even though it’s might be a little sharp at first, it doesn’t make me pucker or wince since the bitterness transitions quickly to a soft, sweet, almost floral aftertaste that lingers on my tongue for over 5 minutes afterwards. Yum!

I let the third steeping go a little longer than I wanted to (about a minute or so), but it didn’t become overwhelmingly bitter. Now, the astringency is starting to cut into the mix; but I’m still left with a soft tongue afterwards. I love this about good green teas and sheng puerhs!

I’ve only had a couple 7542 blends (none of which were older than 2008), and this one tastes very familiar to me. I don’t break this one out everyday, but I’m definitely looking forward to seeing how it ages. Since it’s not too dense of a cake, I’d imagine it would age nicely in proper conditions. In my dry cupboard in California, I’m not expecting too much out of this already tasty cake.

Rounding out my tour of puerhshop teas this weekend, I tried this 7542 clone tea. The cake looks beautiful. Smells smoky. The tea is quite strong, I had to trim my usual over stuffing of the gaiwan. The first infusion was smoky like a lapsang souchong. But it was fun to taste! It took several infusions just to tame the smoke. Later infusions were also smoky, but much less so. Kind of a fun tea to try, the leaves were good and held up for at least 10 solid infusions. I don’t know if it is really like a 7542, certainly not in terms of smoke.