2009 Loose Golden Leaf Imperial Pu-erh Tea

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Cole

• “Received a sample of this tea, and LOVED the mouthfeel and marshmallow-y sweetness that lasted for the first four infusions. Nice, dense, and thick brew -- very impressed with how far a small...” Read full tasting note
    ilchymis 40 tasting notes
  • “I don't know why I keep writing tasting notes for pu-erh if they are always so darn tough for me to describe. They are just... pu-erh... pu-erh is pu-erh. Mainly, I guess I'm giving them a number...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1375 tasting notes

From PuerhShop.com

2009 Loose Leaf Pu-erh Tea has has large twisted leaves and abundance of bright golden tips, it is an excellent Pu-erh, the tea infuse to produce an exceptional connoisseur’s tea.

High quality tips and buds from Bulang was used to produce this special and flavorful loose leaf Pu-erh, also known as “Imperial Pu-erh”. The leaves are fermented about twice as long as normal fermented Pu-erh (120 days vs 60 days). During this longer fermentation process more of the mass of the leaf is consumed by bacteria. Say let’s starting out with a total of 400 kilos of leaves, at the end of the fermentation process, only 280 kilos will remain. Imperial Pu-erh is pricier since it is more time consuming, involves more work, and yields less. The flavor is nice, sweet and yammy.

Fermented or ripe Pu-erh Tea 2 oz bag Vintage 2009 Quality: Superior Grade Loose tea leaves Caffeine: Moderate

About PuerhShop.com View company

Received a sample of this tea, and LOVED the mouthfeel and marshmallow-y sweetness that lasted for the first four infusions. Nice, dense, and thick brew — very impressed with how far a small sample went in my 100ml gaiwan.

For those who like to let their shu soak for 30 mins to get a deep, rich brew, this might be a good way to save a little bit of money. I’ve only tried 6 or 7 shu cakes, so I’m no expert, but I feel like 10-15 second steeps tasted more like 2/3 minute steeps of my newer cakes.

Yum!

I don’t know why I keep writing tasting notes for pu-erh if they are always so darn tough for me to describe. They are just… pu-erh… pu-erh is pu-erh. Mainly, I guess I’m giving them a number rating so I remember how much I liked them. This is a very nice pu-erh, loose this time. It even has some hint of extra flavor but could I tell you what that is? No. Just another level of flavor. There isn’t any of that hint of pond though, so if that is what scares you from pu-erh, this would be a good one to try. The flavor is dark enough, but not darker than the darkest pu-erh. No bitterness with this one. I was worried with it already being loose and didn’t need to unravel that it might be bitter. Nope. I’m very glad I bought it.
Steep #1 // 2 tsps. // rinse // few minutes after boiling // 2 min