2011 MGH 1105 Mangfei Pu-erh Tea Cake (357g)

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Cole

1 Tasting Note View all

• “What a visually appealing cake! I could tell by the pictures on PuerhShop's site that this sheng puerh would be full of large leaves and buds, but seeing it in person really makes you realize how...” Read full tasting note
    ilchymis 40 tasting notes

From PuerhShop.com

Come to appreciate one of the best Pu-erh teas we manage to make, and we are proud of it.

This cake is made by using early Spring arbor materials from Mangfei, Yongde area. All hand made, it’s sweet, full of flavor, endurable, definitely a worthwhile tea for current consumption and long term storage.

It offers better taste profile, higher nutritional value with no chemical additive, the big tree/Qiaomu/Arbor material IS the essence of a premium tea. The traditional tried and true processing method was adopted in making of these MGH teas.

You can taste the difference now and in the furture when the tea is aged.

Pu-erh Tea Cake 357g Vintage 2011 Premium class Raw/Green/unfermented Loose tea leaves Caffeine: Moderate Very limited production PuerhShop Exclusive

About PuerhShop.com View company

1 Tasting Note

What a visually appealing cake! I could tell by the pictures on PuerhShop’s site that this sheng puerh would be full of large leaves and buds, but seeing it in person really makes you realize how nice the source materials are. I had no problem picking off 6g of large leaves and buds for use in my 100ml yixing pot. Accurately describing this tea, however, was another matter entirely.
______________________
Rinse: Yum. Golden sweetness.

First cup (10s): Soft and sweet. Not even bitter after it cools. Wow. I notice a little fruit-y aftertaste and a cooling sensation that’s left behind on my tongue. Immediately, I notice an increased sense of perception that tells me this young cake certainly has qi.

Second cup (15s): A good puerh makes you stop everything and focus on the tea, whether you like it or not. That is exactly what is happening to me. This cup feels smoother sliding down my throat, but leaves the front of my tongue dry. It still tastes sweet to me and smells wonderful. Cooled, there’s a bit of bitterness comes to the front, but it’s so well balanced I welcome it with open arms. Very nice.

Third Cup (20s): A pleasant aroma. Pleasant taste. Yeesh, I’m running out of words here. Should probably take a break, but I don’t particularly want to. Throat is dry; mind is clear. Peach-y notes are starting to come back in the aftertaste. Wow. Tastes like what I think a sheng should taste like, but particularly smooth and refined.
….
The rest of my notes on this tea are scattered and short. I was able to get about 5 more infusions out of this puerh before I eventually decided to toss the leaves in some boiling water and leave it going for a couple hours. Even then, it still had a very pleasing sheng taste that I enjoyed; with a delicious aftertaste that left my tongue slightly silky. I didn’t particularly want to toss out the leaves, but there comes a time when you have to move onto the next tea.
______________________
I purchased this cake as a higher-end option for everyday consumption, and I have to say it fits the bill wonderfully. It doesn’t have the smooth mouthfeel in the early infusions that I really enjoy in certain young sheng puerhs (that comes later on), nor does it have a lot of overwhelming, novel flavors that jumped out at me when I was drinking it. Instead, it has a nice, persistent qi and a great balance of all the nuances I like in a cup of puerh without the (sometimes) overwhelming bitterness.

Very pleased with this cake.