2008 Mengku Purple Buds Green Pu-erh Tea Cake

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaExplorer

1 Tasting Note View all

From PuerhShop.com

2008 Mengku Purple Buds Green Pu-erh Cake (勐库紫芽青饼)

The purple buds Puerh tea is said to be of the higher nutrition values than the most other teas.

This tea cake was made by using the purple buds harvested from 500-800 year old wild big trees in Mengku area. The brewed tea is clean yellow with nice honey aroma.

Green Pu-erh tea cake 400g

Shipping Weight: 0.9lbs
Manufactured by: Mengku FH Tea Factory

About PuerhShop.com View company

1 Tasting Note

One of my harp students, who also happens to be a friend now (most of my grown up students end up also becoming my friends) stayed for tea after her lesson today. First we shared a pot of Russian Caravan from The Tea Spot. Then I handed her my Tea Index and let her pick one. The last time she stayed for tea we ended up trying a purple black tea (I can’t remember which one), so today I answered her questions regarding puerh, shou vs sheng, purple teas, etc. Then she selected this one.

She just left, after 6 or 8 rounds in sets of 2, and I don’t really have much to say. (I hate that I’m the first to review this….really?). It’s good: nice buzz, a little bitter, a little sweet, kind of smokey, a little rough on the stomach (I had to take a break after 4 rounds to share an apple, and now after a few more rounds I’m reheating my leftover breakfast soup). There’s a nice tip of tongue numbing, sinus clearing aromatics, and though it has mostly been a savory tea, the most recent rounds are yielding a sweeter taste.

Thanks to Tea Explorer for the generous sample :)

I like it best with less leaf (4g/100ml), 185F water and moderate steeps (10/15/20/… seconds) to tone down it’s youthful brashness a bit. Huh, I’m surprised I have not reviewed this one yet!

Terri HarpLady