2006 Loose Golden Leaf Imperial Pu-Erh

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Cait

• “I was at work when I tried this. Had I read the description I might have waited until I could be more attentive to the infuzion. That said I may have over steeped this just a little. Luckily I have...” Read full tasting note
    tunes&tea 60 tasting notes
  • “Powerful stuff, very earthy, nice texture, no subtleties wasted, straightforward and robust (feels like I'm praising myself, haha). This shu has it all, you want to go for a walk in the woods,...” Read full tasting note
    Pé Té 20 tasting notes
  • “As the title to aptly describes this Pu-Erh, 'Imperial' - if I could drink a queen it would be this tea, regal yet-very commoner, the flowery, leather, fruitiness is the crown jewel bouquet of fine...” Read full tasting note
    petergrabosky 19 tasting notes
  • “SUPER dark and smooth and delicious! Also got great tasting reviews by my friend who had never drunk pu-erh before, so this is a good choice for an introductory tea. It can make at least 8 good...” Read full tasting note
    miss_myr 2 tasting notes

From PuerhShop.com

2006 Loose Leaf Pu-erh Tea has has small twisted leaves and abundance of bright golden tips, it is an excellent Pu-erh, the tea infuse to produce an exceptional connoisseur’s tea.

High quality tips and buds from Bulang was used to produce this special and flavorful loose leaf Pu-erh, also known as “Imperial Pu-erh”. The leaves are fermented about twice as long as normal fermented Pu-erh (120 days vs 60 days). During this longer fermentation process more of the mass of the leaf is consumed by bacteria. Say let’s starting out with a total of 400 kilos of leaves, at the end of the fermentation process, only 300 kilos will remain. Imperial Pu-erh is pricier since it is more time consuming, involves more work, and yields less. The flavor is nice, sweet and yammy.

Fermented or ripe
Pu-erh Tea 100g bag
Vintage 2006
Quality: Superior Grade
Loose tea leaves
Caffeine: Moderate

About PuerhShop.com View company

I was at work when I tried this. Had I read the description I might have waited until I could be more attentive to the infuzion. That said I may have over steeped this just a little. Luckily I have enough for another tasting so I can revise the note if needed.
As is common with pu’erhs dry leaf has a strong earthy smell, this one more aqautic (“fish, Dave…it smells like fish” is the reply my wife gives whenever I use that term for pu’erhs).Also common to pu’erhs is the dark color that quickly comes during infuse. Wet leaf smells like a pu’erh…
then came the difference. This pu’erh is sweet, like honey sweet. I’ve used the description of toothpaste for this flavor before, that hint of mint sweetness.As a sidenote; wife says I need to brush my teeth more when I drink pu’s, yet I say it taste like toothpaste=hows that work…anyway.
Also in the sweetness is a faint tart, like blueberries that are mostly sweet with a little tart. I detect a little toasty note in there too. There’s alot less earth or wood about this one. I would like to think it would be an ideal beginner pu’. My second steep was a tad astringent, but I chalk it up to being at work and poor steep management. Since I will taste it again I will close this one for now and will revisit soon.
tunes at time of writing-Laura Marling Dharohar Project=Anmol Rishtey/Meheri Rachi/To Darkness-Kripa/Devil’s Spoke-Sneh Ko Marg
Mumford&Sons appeares on. If you like Indian music like Ravi Shankar and Alla Rakha You’ll love it. If you’ve never tried it I encourage you to do so.

CupofTree

I really enjoy your reviews! the pu-erh smells aquatic.. haha
yay for Mumford&Sons :)

Powerful stuff, very earthy, nice texture, no subtleties wasted, straightforward and robust (feels like I’m praising myself, haha). This shu has it all, you want to go for a walk in the woods, after a heavy rain, without moving, drink this, it will take you places.

As the title to aptly describes this Pu-Erh, ‘Imperial’ – if I could drink a queen it would be this tea, regal yet-very commoner, the flowery, leather, fruitiness is the crown jewel bouquet of fine wine. If I had no friends…then, this would be my best.

SUPER dark and smooth and delicious! Also got great tasting reviews by my friend who had never drunk pu-erh before, so this is a good choice for an introductory tea. It can make at least 8 good steeps and is really just heavenly. It leaves a wonderful aftertaste and has great qi too.