Detox

Tea Bag
Caffeine Free
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Sivasubramanian

• “yaaay i'm drinking this again. as predicted, i could not resist the impulse to mix this with Stash's Organic Premium Green (teabag format; apparently it comes in loose leaf, which i did not...” Read full tasting note
    pyarkaaloo 111 tasting notes
  • “Here's a new (to me) herbal tea from Pukka I haven't tried. I don't really know if I need to detox anything but the combination of fennel, licorice, aniseed and cardamom seemed like it would be a...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2307 tasting notes
  • “Interestingly (for me anyway), this one is called "pure" in Japan. But it's the same exact tea. I wonder why "detox" wasn't used. I guess only pukka knows. I have been drinking this one before bed,...” Read full tasting note
    lisbet 267 tasting notes
  • “I got this tea over the weekend because I was fasinated with the smell. The taste is delicate and different so I'm pleased with my purchase. I haven't taken the teabag out of the thermos, it's...” Read full tasting note
    meeky 18 tasting notes

From Pukka

Purify and rejuvenate your body with this delicious cleansing blend of whole seeds. This wonderfully aromatic tea is perfect for helping you feel back on top form.

-Aniseed and fennel seed help to relax digestion and flush the urinary system.
-Cardamom seeds can help to clear excess mucus.
-Coriander and celery seed help to wash toxins from the body.
-Licorice root is calming and tonifying.

About Pukka View company

yaaay i’m drinking this again. as predicted, i could not resist the impulse to mix this with Stash’s Organic Premium Green (teabag format; apparently it comes in loose leaf, which i did not know!)

i’m on a new box! that’s right….living life on the edge. and i’m noticing this one smells just a tad bit fresher, brighter, and with the licorice more pronounced in the blend. the longer it steeps, the more the aniseed comes through. at first i thought fennel was playing a bigger role than it actually is. i came to such a conclusion after purchasing Numi’s Organic Fennel Spice savory tea (which is delicious!) and which is undeniably fennel in an undoubtedly non-aniseed way. i know licorice, so no guessing game there. i also know aniseed as i have it at home, so any previous notes claiming fennel is the dominant flavor in Pukka’s Detox, i now realize was much more aniseed. so there you have it!

oh, and the bready, pretzel note i keep getting, as it turns out, is actually from the Stash Organic Green tea i mix it with! will elaborate in a tasting note on that separately.

add a dash of salt—and people—you could have soup! well, broth. this could double as a non-alcoholic aperitif or palate cleanser. or just to help with digestion. what i love about this Detox blend, is that there are no suspect herbs or drugs that might impact your system unfavorably. this is detox the natural way (or relaxation or meditation, whichever you prefer..) the aroma is certainly soothing and the taste, pleasant.

also- the licorice in this is very nice and gentle. not that i mind it at higher (thicker, sweeter) doses, but i’m so impressed at how it plays nice in this medley. the initial burst i got from the aroma was refreshing, truly. all in all, this herbal blend is invigorating but ultimately calming.

so i’m a fennel/aniseed/licorice fiend. apparently.

Here’s a new (to me) herbal tea from Pukka I haven’t tried. I don’t really know if I need to detox anything but the combination of fennel, licorice, aniseed and cardamom seemed like it would be a really good digestif.

This tisane steeps up to be a golden yellow and tastes about as I was expecting it would. Not really something I would drink for the sheer joy of it, but it isn’t too bad. Smells and tastes very strongly of fennel and licorice which drowns out the cardamom a bit. I can’t say that I love the flavor but I think this will be very handy to have around in case of a stomach ache. If you hate the flavor of licorice, be sure to skip this!

Interestingly (for me anyway), this one is called “pure” in Japan. But it’s the same exact tea. I wonder why “detox” wasn’t used. I guess only pukka knows. I have been drinking this one before bed, to help settle my tummy, and because it’s actually pretty delicious. It reminds me a bit of the tea that Aveda used to give me whenever I went into their store or went to get my hair dyed by them- it’s the aniseseed and fennel, I think. Either way, I associate this tea with good feelings, and relaxation, so that’s tough to argue with. Plus, you can leave the tea bag in the water forever, and it never tastes oversteeped.

Boiling 8 min or more

I got this tea over the weekend because I was fasinated with the smell. The taste is delicate and different so I’m pleased with my purchase. I haven’t taken the teabag out of the thermos, it’s tasting better with each sip.

8 min or more

My first observation about Pukka Detox is that it tastes better than Yogi Detox. Of course, they contain completely different ingredients. But that is in part why I am surprised. The number one and number two ingredients are anise seed and fennel seed, so I was predicting that I would not like this blend. Nonetheless, I was willing to give it a try!

What I find is that Pukka Detox does not smack overwhelmingly of fennel seed, which sometimes seems quite harsh to me. It’s fine in sausage (though I no longer eat mammals…), but as a major component in an infusion I usually find it to be too much. One recent example was Zhena’s Gypsy Tea Egyptian Chamomile, which has a huge fennel component nearly wiping out the chamomile.

Here the fennel blends in with the licorice and the cardamom somehow. Not sure how celery seed is contributing in a positive way, but I am happy to report that I do not taste it at all.

A solid functional tisane. I’ll probably reach for this more as a digestive than as a detox, but it’s nice to know that it does that, too!

(Blazing New Rating #6)

Flavors: Anise, Fennel, Licorice

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 2 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
boychik

I do not like fennel in sausages. I’m just not used to this spice in meat

sherapop

It’s an acquired taste, for sure, boychik! I rather like it, but I agree that it can seem out of place. How do you feel about nutmeg on spinach? I love it, but a friend of mine recently revealed that he thinks that it sounds like an unappealing combination.

Cwyn

I love candied fennel at Indian restaurants, it really does help with digestion and that overly full feeling after an 8 course meal.

boychik

never tried nutmeg on spinach. I love fennel but not with meat. i love it in herbal tea. i think its cultural. we dont add any spices to meat other than salt, pepper, paprika. nutmeg is for cookies for me;)

boychik

but i forgot, we use a lot of dill in salads and potatoes, soups. i think dill and fennel are related

pyarkaaloo

nutmeg in creamed spinach is delicious (that’s the only way i’ve ever had it tho). nutmeg with spinach seems strange in theory but works so well!

I think I’m the only one in my family who really enjoys the taste of licorice. I like it, fennel, anise … basically anything with that sweet bite. I’m also a sucker for a chai, so the combination of fennel with cardamom gives me basically exactly what I want for an easygoing pick-me-up.

This was a tea I bought specifically to help with some stomach upset. Licorice root is great for calming, and the combination of it and fennel can really help if you’re having digestive issues.

When I don’t feel like a jolt of caffeine just yet, this is what I have.

Flavors: Cream, Licorice, Wood

Needs a lot of seeping time for the flavor to really kick in. Really herbal, spiced flavor and helps my tummy to calm down a notch.

sipping some now…taste delish! Now hopefully my belly stops aching

I think PURE and DETOX are great names for this tea.. Stimulating and relaxing. Very satisfying.
The aniseed is a tad overpowering to me. Maybe the taste all together is a bit too pure and raw.. and dont drink too much or youll get the poops

Mmm, tastes like licorice. This one is best if you just leave the teabag to soak forever. Otherwise it’s too light, as are the other teas I’ve tried by Pukka. But that said, I really do enjoy this one- lots of cardamom, and a nice sweetness from the aniseed, licorice and fennel. Super relaxing.

8 min or more