Russian Caravan

Edit tea info Last updated by KittyLovesTea

• “This weekend is a thankful break after my stressful week and nothing calms me more than a nice strong cup of black tea. Russian Caravan is a tea that I enjoy when used as an everyday style tea as...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 984 tasting notes
  • “sipdown! this is a pretty good average russian caravan. This is not their smokey version, which suits me fine this morning. It's a refreshing tea without the boldness that i like in a morning...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4043 tasting notes
  • “My *only* complaint about this is that I wish there were more info about the teas in this 'most traditional tea blend'. Love the sense of history you get drinking it, and obviously, love the taste...” Read full tasting note
    Hallieod 73 tasting notes
  • “When I think of a Russian Caravan tea, I always expect something kind of smokey & thick textured, but that is not the case with this one. Really it's more like an english breakfast, at least in my...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2491 tasting notes

From PureAromaTea

One of the most traditional tea blends. The old trading caravans brought tea from China to Europe by the overland route across south Russia – a journey of many months.
This is a smooth delicate blend, suitable for drinking all day. Enjoy this tea with or without milk.

To enjoy at its best place one generous tsp per person in a warmed pot or Mug Infuser and add fresh, boiling water. Allow to brew for 4-5 mins and strain into mugs or cups. Russian Caravan has a subtle flavour and is best drunk black, but this is not an absolute rule and many people prefer it with milk and sugar.

About PureAromaTea View company

This weekend is a thankful break after my stressful week and nothing calms me more than a nice strong cup of black tea. Russian Caravan is a tea that I enjoy when used as an everyday style tea as it can really pick me up.

Pure Aroma Tea was kind enough to send me this sample to review and I am an honest writer. :)

This sample of Russian Caravan is an earthy dark brown colour with leaves rolled and roughly cut to form short and thin squiggly shapes. They smell warm and malty with a rich and dark woodsy scent.

I shall be steeping 1.5 teaspoons of leaves into my Gongfu for this session. I have added the extra half a teaspoon purely for personal preference as I like my tea strong.

Once steeped for 4 minutes 30 seconds this tea creates a burnt orange colour that has a slightly sweet malt scent.

The tea itself tastes sweetly malted and very refreshing and clean tasting. It’s also smooth and very easy to drink especially considering I have not added any milk or sugar. There is also a wood musk charm about it that I can taste in the after taste and the malt just keeps getting thicker and sweeter. Very delicious and it truly does make a very nice every day tea.

It’s also suitable for re-steeps. I re-steeped the leaves for 8 minutes to create my second cup of tea using the original leaves. It’s not as strong but there is still plenty of flavour left. :)

sipdown! this is a pretty good average russian caravan. This is not their smokey version, which suits me fine this morning. It’s a refreshing tea without the boldness that i like in a morning tea, so this would like be more of an afternoon tea for me. Overall a decent blend

My only complaint about this is that I wish there were more info about the teas in this ‘most traditional tea blend’. Love the sense of history you get drinking it, and obviously, love the taste (strong, smooth – very smooth – and just the smallest sweetness as the sip goes down), although there isn’t really “more” history to this than any other tea. Never mind! Like my imaginings as I’m sipping. I’ll probably end up prodding the nice guys at PAT for a breakdown, just out of curiosity. Wiki says Keemun, Oolong and Lapsang Souchong, but that still leaves a lot of territory, and probably isn’t true for all Russian Caravans anyway.

Makes a great breakfast tea, as do both PATs breakfast blends, which I’ve enjoyed and will note soon.

When I think of a Russian Caravan tea, I always expect something kind of smokey & thick textured, but that is not the case with this one. Really it’s more like an english breakfast, at least in my opinion. Still a tasty cup of tea, but not what I was expecting at all!
Thanks to Sil for this generous sample. The rest of it will go into my sipdown box for some future extravaganza (unless somebody I owe a box to would like to try it? just let me know)

i really liked the purearomateas…they were inexpensive and really nice