1980 Aged Tung Ting

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by theyhaveways

• “It's such an experience drinking a tea that's so old. The aroma of the wet leaves was like a delicious piece of fresh toast. The first infusion was somewhat flowery and fruity, but a little...” Read full tasting note
    sirbrillig 108 tasting notes
  • “Gongfu style today. Slightly fishy, earthy, and something in the back of the throat that I can't figure out. I'm not sure whether I like it or not... I just can't say. ” Read full tasting note
    RumpusParable 278 tasting notes
  • “There is nothing more amusing that a hype written about perfumes and teas which make you drool with anticipation and then rush to buy pounds or gallons in case they get sold out FOREVER. 1980 year...” Read full tasting note
    pantheon 44 tasting notes
  • “Maybe it's just today but this tea makes me sleepy. It is interesting to consider how long ago this tea was picked and processed, America had Pac-man Fever and John Lennon was shot in New York and...” Read full tasting note
    beankrom 30 tasting notes

From Red Blossom Tea Company

Until the mid-1980s, Taiwan oolong teas were rolled by hand in small canvas bundles. Hand rolling produced tea clusters that were looser than what is created using modern machine rolling methods. These looser clusters required firing at higher temperatures for optimal preservation, which in turn produced a richer, more robust tea.

Our Aged Tung Ting is a true rarity surviving from this earlier era of tea making in Taiwan. We acquired this tea from a grower who had had the tea in his family’s possession for nearly three decades. During that time, it was lightly roasted every two to three years to remove moisture from the tea. Before the tea was shipped to San Francisco, we had it charcoal roasted using longan fruit wood, a finishing techinque also very traditional to formosa tea making.

Over time, the tea’s color has darkened and its flavor mellowed to a pleasing combination of candied plum and cocoa with rich, roasted aromatics .

About Red Blossom Tea Company View company

It’s such an experience drinking a tea that’s so old. The aroma of the wet leaves was like a delicious piece of fresh toast. The first infusion was somewhat flowery and fruity, but a little light; I think that it just needed a longer time as I had only infused it for 1.5 minutes. The second cup, though, (at 2 minutes) was outstanding: floral and sweet, but with deep roasted tones. It reminded me of a full-bodied peach. The sweetness did not linger, but was replaced by a not-unpleasant chalky texture on the front of the tongue that lasted for some time. The third infusion had a little more sweetness and a little less body, and the roasted undertone became more subdued. By the fourth, the interesting chalky texture had gone and the flavor really began to remind me of a pleasant unroasted Tung Ting or a Tie Guan Yin. A fascinating tea.

Gongfu style today.

Slightly fishy, earthy, and something in the back of the throat that I can’t figure out. I’m not sure whether I like it or not… I just can’t say.

There is nothing more amusing that a hype written about perfumes and teas which make you drool with anticipation and then rush to buy pounds or gallons in case they get sold out FOREVER. 1980 year for a tea makes it antique by American standards. And indeed, this tea tastes and smells like a very antique ginger root fermented in miso. How does such old ginger root smell and taste? Well, to know it you would need to try this tea. Use hot boiling water and wait 1 minute. The secret should be then revealed to you. As for me, I am going to store it in a ginger jar, hide in a dark place and then wait another 30 years to taste it again.

Maybe it’s just today but this tea makes me sleepy. It is interesting to consider how long ago this tea was picked and processed, America had Pac-man Fever and John Lennon was shot in New York and I was in 1st grade. Now to the tea: the leaves are large and a chocolate brown color until they are infused at which point they actually turn greenish brown. Initial infusions are just plain smooth at least at first then, the the mouth feels coated with earthy goodness, and a bit of Unami. The mouth coating feel ends yet a distinct drying sensation is left in the throat, drying, almost desert like, i get the same sensation when getting into a car that has been sitting in the sun on a 100 degree F day. It makes me thirsty. And it reminds me of the scent of my first car which ironically was a 1980 Ford it has that aged pleather and dried out car feeling. As strange as this description is I really enjoyed this tea.

Delicious. Rich, dark, earthy, complex and full. It smells great and tastes great. I have very limited experience with aged oolongs but this was was very pleasing.

However, I do have to add that I’m a little disappointed that the tea doesn’t have very good “legs”- you really only get a couple good infusions out of it- which are satisfying, but it quickly dies. I am on the lookout for an aged oolong that lasts longer, I have a feeling a really good one will go many, many infusions.

Midterms are over!

I was excited to try this tea, with it being “aged” and such, it’s my first time drinking anything thirty years old. With $7.50 an ounce I had some expectations.

I open the package to deliver a rich, chocolatelike scent, woody, earthy, and smokey. The leaf quality is large rolled leaves, very dark in colour. I decided to brew this at shy of a boil in my gaiwan. Now I really hate brewing with seconds! I HATE it. But I think the richness in the smell scared me so much in screwing the brew up that I trimmed off fifteen seconds from my regular one minute ascending ritual.

The resulting cup, was very rich in taste, sharp take with a very complex, sweet~smokey~earth taste. It was as if they smoked this teas, shoveling caramels into the smoker, to infuse the two into this beautiful deep amber cup. The finish was harsh. I think I could of trimmed off a couple more seconds to grant me a bit more forgiving taste, but yet a very tasty cup.

This tea was enjoyable satisfying treat after my midterms.

Smokey, especially good with meals. Not a standout, but pleasant. Reminds me of TTC’s Oriental Oolong, except better.

1 min, 0 sec 2 tsp

(I’m taking a wild guess that this is the tea that Red Blossom calls “Aged Tung Ting, ca. 1980.”)
Smells sweet and mildly earthy. Fairly tannic initially, but smooths out. In my opinion, it’s pretty balanced but not very interesting, compared to other aged teas, including the ca. 1970’s Tung Ting from Red Blossom. That one really does “feel old.” The 1980 also lacks the strong butterscotch notes that you can taste in roasted Tung Tings. There’s something subtly intriguing in the aftertaste, but that’s about it.