Phoenix Oolong Xing Ren Xiang

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by dylanj

1 Tasting Note View all

• “This is a quality Dan Cong by my estimation. I do not have a wealth of experience with dan congs but they are beginning to become my new tea category to explore. Xing Ren Xiang (Almond fragrance)...” Read full tasting note
    dylanjha 7 tasting notes

From Red Blossom Tea Company

Almond fragrance dan cong (Phoenix) Oolong.

About Red Blossom Tea Company View company

1 Tasting Note

This is a quality Dan Cong by my estimation. I do not have a wealth of experience with dan congs but they are beginning to become my new tea category to explore. Xing Ren Xiang (Almond fragrance) has been really enjoyable. The leaves are twisted style and dark when dry.

My favorite part of brewing a phoenix oolong is getting my gaiwan nice and hot, emptying it and filling it with a heavy volume of dry leaf, replacing the top on the gaiwan and letting the aroma accumulate before I remove the top and stick my nose right into the warm gaiwan. Phoenix oolongs have an awesome stone-fruit aroma on the dry leaf that gets me excited. This one from Red Blossom is no exception.

This tea does have a tendency to go bitter if brewed too long, or with boiling water. I’ve been using water that’s around 190/195 I’ve found that to be ideal. Does it go bitter because that’s simply a characteristic of this tea? Or do I need to find a higher quality Dan Cong that won’t get bitter?

Any Dan Cong (Phoenix oolong) fans out there I can learn from?

Pithy

Hello! Phoenix oolongs are some of my favorite teas. The bitterness you’re tasting is actually the intense finish that higher grade phoenixs are known for. Notice how it leaves a lingering sweetness at the back of your palate instead of a harsh upfront bitterness on the tip of your tongue (like for instance what would happen with an over brewed green tea). If you want it a little mellower, instead of using lower temperature water, keep the water at near boil and just use less leaves.

Hope this helps!

dylanj

Thanks Pithy!! What is your favorite dan cong fragrance? I have only tried honey and almond and I love them both. Do you rinse your don congs before the first brew?