Organic Golden Monkey

Roasted, Smooth, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Erik Dabel

• “I bought this tea yesterday, although I really KNOW I shouldn't be buying any more tea. This is one of my favorite Golden Monkeys and I don't have any more so I felt justified. And it's my favorite...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2576 tasting notes
  • “This is a bit too light bodied to be the tea for a work morning, but in the afternoon or on a weekend, it is excellent. It tastes like toast, in the best possible way. No bitterness or astringency,...” Read full tasting note
    kuanyin 38 tasting notes
  • “New tea! I've been in the mood to try more black teas lately, and I just received a new order in the mail from Red Blossom Tea Company with just that. First up is this Organic Golden Monkey...” Read full tasting note
    Erik Dabel 121 tasting notes
  • “This is a very light, mellow black tea with no noticeable astringency. Flavors of toasted grain and a hint of earthiness make it a nice "warm" cup. Steeps well twice, a third steeping unfortunately...” Read full tasting note
    shalamiope 3 tasting notes

From Red Blossom Tea Company

Gathered April 2010 from the Wuyi Mountains of Northern Fujian. Fully enzymatically oxidized gold-tipped leaves and buds, crafted by hand into the shape of a monkey’s paw.

Red amber color, light for a black tea, exceptionally smooth and tannin free, and best of all Ecocert-certified organic.

Water Temperature: 205°, or near boiling

Brewing Instructions: Use 2 teaspoons (3 for a medium sized pot). Rinse tea for 1 second. Discard rinse water. Steep for 2 minutes. May be infused multiple times.

About Red Blossom Tea Company View company

I bought this tea yesterday, although I really KNOW I shouldn’t be buying any more tea. This is one of my favorite Golden Monkeys and I don’t have any more so I felt justified. And it’s my favorite breakfast tea, but right now it’s the afternoon. :-P

So I finally heard from my ex-employer after threatening them with my attorney and now they say they’re going to offer me a severance package if I resign. Oh happy day. Nice to leave a place that would “restructure” your job after you broke your arm and were on a company approved medical leave. I won’t be sorry to leave this pack of wolves but it’s still a very emotional time for me. Thank goodness for tea.

Nicole

At least there is some good news in there. Hope things calm down soon for you.

scribbles

Stay strong & hang in there. Positive energy/thoughts being sent your way :)

small purchases that inspire YAY are good for the soul :)

Thanks guys! ;)

mrmopar

You will be fine. Just don’t let this experience hinder you future.

Terri HarpLady

Go YOU for hanging in there & yeah, I think you deserve a small tea purchase too :)

TheTeaFairy

Yes, I second everything mrmopar and terri said :-)

thanks all!!!

Cheri

I’m so glad that it sounds like your old job is finally doing something. And YAY! for favorite teas that make things at least a little bit better.

TeaBrat

Cheri, thanks I am glad too. I just want them to cut the cord, so to speak.. lol

This is a bit too light bodied to be the tea for a work morning, but in the afternoon or on a weekend, it is excellent. It tastes like toast, in the best possible way. No bitterness or astringency, just smooth, golden toasty goodness. It makes me happy to just think of this tea. And at the price, I can afford to stock up. I get two steeps also, which is good for a light tea, making it an even more excellent value.

New tea!

I’ve been in the mood to try more black teas lately, and I just received a new order in the mail from Red Blossom Tea Company with just that. First up is this Organic Golden Monkey black tea.

Like usual, Red Blossom’s description is pretty accurate. The color I got from a 1:30 steeping time and 2.5 tablespoons of leaves in my 32 ounce Bodum Assam was a dark, deep, clear, reddish brown.

The aroma caught my eye first (or my nose, I guess…). It has a really nice, sweet smell, and lots of it. The website mentions sweet potato, yeah, I could see that. Nice and smooth presence in the aroma and taste.

For a long time I bought the Twinnings 4 pack of breakfast teas and thought the Irish Breakfast Tea in that package was the best black tea I had ever tried. I thought it had the perfect balance of sweet and fruity with plenty of kick while still remaining smooth. (This was before I discovered Red Blossom Tea Company and the wonders of high quality loose leaf teas) How wrong I was…

This Golden Monkey is good on all the fronts that I think of when I think black tea, without being over the top fruity or spicy. If you’re looking for a smooth black tea that is a bit on the light and sweet side, here you go!

I think it would make a great mid to late fall morning brew. Like right now. Win!

-E

Flavors: Roasted, Smooth, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes

TeaBrat

Ah, this is one of my faves :)

This is a very light, mellow black tea with no noticeable astringency. Flavors of toasted grain and a hint of earthiness make it a nice “warm” cup. Steeps well twice, a third steeping unfortunately results in very little flavor. I don’t recommend sweetener as it could easily overpower the tea rather than enhance, and there isn’t anything to mask with sweetness. Every now and again I will add a splash (about 1 Tbs) of milk not cream just for a different flavor.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML