Xin Gong Yi (New Craft)

White Tea
Astringent, Drying, Lemon, Pancake Syrup, Sweet, Vegetal, Chocolate, Creamy, Thick
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaBrat

From Red Blossom Tea Company

Our Xin Gong Yi white tea was harvested early April 2011 from Fuding County, Fujian Province. The hand-picked leaves consist of a bud and single leaf combination. The buds contribute florals and texture to the tea, while the leaves give it complexity.

Xin Gong Yi means “new craft”. What distinguishes it from traditional white tea crafting techniques is the higher degree of enzymatic oxidation Xin Gong Yi leaves undergo. Traditional white teas are only oxidized to 5%, whereas new craft takes oxidation above 30%. The resulting leaves take on a beautiful mottle of green and autumnal reds and oranges, and the brewed liquor is decidedly more golden than the muted beige of traditional white tea.

The higher oxidation also creates bioflavonoids and aromatic compounds. The nose is reminiscent of rose water, raisins, and dried apricots. The taste is sweet without being cloying, and distinct without sacrificing roundness. This tea is one of the best examples of new tea craftsmanship that we have come across in recent years.

About Red Blossom Tea Company View company

I really like white teas and this sunny and bright afternoon seems like the perfect time for it. It’s been a while since I’ve had this but clearly there is no reason to hoard it, since it won’t stay fresh forever! I don’t know if I got the rose water the last time I tried this, but I am definitely getting it today. A delicious sweetness in the finish as well.

Very good tea!! thanks for sharing Amy! yummmmm.
Light, bright, and very sweet without any additions. Fresh tasting, remnicent of something floral. Could that be the rose? I can’t tell.
I also get something honey like, bakey even. I tend to notice that when there are claims of “apricot” so it makes sense to me!
There is something savoury in there as well but I need to sit down with a gaiwan before making any declarations on that…
I made it through three steepings, each a little softer and sweeter than the last, becoming more like spun rather than raw honey.
Overall… A lovely tea. I highly recommend!
Steepster won’t let me rate this for some reason. I’d give this a solid 91!

glad you liked it. :)

Tea swap sample provided by @Amy Oh

This turned out to be a very interesting experience. I didn’t really expect such a dark colour and bold aroma from white tea. That being said, I wasn’t confident enough to write tasting notes, because I was so focused on just enjoying the tea.

So I’ll pass on rating it, and maybe purchase some in the future. It seems like the sort of tea you’d have to make a few times to appreciate.
On a scale of I hated or loved it, this is somewhere between this is really cool and I liked it a lot (not loved it).

100ml gaiwan, 5g, 6 steeps
(Sorry for the vague tasting notes!)

195 °F / 90 °C

This is a lighter tasting tea in my opinion. It has a hay-like taste and… Not really sweetness, but sorta. It has a roundish mouth feel. It’s not refreshing feeling, it’s more hardy it seems. There is a long finish of the hay tone.

Over all, I like it but it’s not a favorite. I’ll keep it as a some variety in my whites, something to mix it up with.

i’vev had this a couple times now and haven’t really landed on where i felt about it. today though? it’s bang on what i wanted it to be. A juicy, delicious tea. noms. thanks omgsrsly

Im the same. How did you brew it this time?

mmm 2 mins @ 185 if i remember right

Ok, ill have to try it with a bit less time next time. I was doing it 3 minutes and not quite feeling it

Interesting. tried this as i love whites, the leaves are more spindly like its almost an Oriental Beauty.

aroma from the steeped leaves is more vegetal than i thought. from the cup there is an underlying sweetness, a syrup.

Tried it as recommended, 4g 90c 2:30 western style. I think this might have been too much (the 4g & temp). there is a hint of sourness, which reminds me of a too-strong white. next time i’ll try it the white way, 80c 3g 3mins.

I let it cool. interesting tea. very much like a white, but with a slight sourness that hangs around on the tongue, less floral than a yin zheng, but with similar characteristics.

Tried it straightaway after at 80/3g/3mins, it was similar to a yin zhen, again more sour and less sweet. I preferred a good silver needle, ,i must confess.

Made me feel nice. slight astringency.

I think i will need to experiment more with this tea, at the moment im on the fence with it, so it gets an 80 from me.

Flavors: Astringent, Drying, Lemon, Pancake Syrup, Sweet, Vegetal

180 °F / 82 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

Ohh, this is a tasty white tea. It reminds me more of a black tea, as it has malty chocolate in here that tones down the hay-like notes that are typically present in white teas. This is the kind of white teas that I tend to go for the most. MissB, you just knew I’d love this one, didn’t you? Thank for you much for including this in my package!

Grabbed this while in San Fran last year, just now getting around to trying it. It’s one of those whites that brews up like a black (thick, chocolatey, full-bodied brew) yet is still light and refreshing. Likely my favorite kind of white tea, other than maybe something fruity that’s brewed up cold.

Flavors: Chocolate, Creamy, Sweet, Thick, Vegetal

i love those sorts of whites…really interesting