Xin Gong Yi (New Craft)

White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaBrat

• “I really like white teas and this sunny and bright afternoon seems like the perfect time for it. It's been a while since I've had this but clearly there is no reason to hoard it, since it won't...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2469 tasting notes
  • “Very good tea!! thanks for sharing Amy! yummmmm. Light, bright, and very sweet without any additions. Fresh tasting, remnicent of something floral. Could that be the rose? I can't tell. I also...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1315 tasting notes
  • “Tea swap sample provided by *@Amy Oh* This turned out to be a very interesting experience. I didn't really expect such a dark colour and bold aroma from white tea. That being said, I wasn't...” Read full tasting note
    DMTea 318 tasting notes
  • “This is a lighter tasting tea in my opinion. It has a hay-like taste and... Not really sweetness, but sorta. It has a roundish mouth feel. It's not refreshing feeling, it's more hardy it seems....” Read full tasting note
    RumpusParable 278 tasting notes

From Red Blossom Tea Company

Our Xin Gong Yi white tea was harvested early April 2011 from Fuding County, Fujian Province. The hand-picked leaves consist of a bud and single leaf combination. The buds contribute florals and texture to the tea, while the leaves give it complexity.

Xin Gong Yi means “new craft”. What distinguishes it from traditional white tea crafting techniques is the higher degree of enzymatic oxidation Xin Gong Yi leaves undergo. Traditional white teas are only oxidized to 5%, whereas new craft takes oxidation above 30%. The resulting leaves take on a beautiful mottle of green and autumnal reds and oranges, and the brewed liquor is decidedly more golden than the muted beige of traditional white tea.

The higher oxidation also creates bioflavonoids and aromatic compounds. The nose is reminiscent of rose water, raisins, and dried apricots. The taste is sweet without being cloying, and distinct without sacrificing roundness. This tea is one of the best examples of new tea craftsmanship that we have come across in recent years.

About Red Blossom Tea Company View company

I really like white teas and this sunny and bright afternoon seems like the perfect time for it. It’s been a while since I’ve had this but clearly there is no reason to hoard it, since it won’t stay fresh forever! I don’t know if I got the rose water the last time I tried this, but I am definitely getting it today. A delicious sweetness in the finish as well.

Very good tea!! thanks for sharing Amy! yummmmm.
Light, bright, and very sweet without any additions. Fresh tasting, remnicent of something floral. Could that be the rose? I can’t tell.
I also get something honey like, bakey even. I tend to notice that when there are claims of “apricot” so it makes sense to me!
There is something savoury in there as well but I need to sit down with a gaiwan before making any declarations on that…
I made it through three steepings, each a little softer and sweeter than the last, becoming more like spun rather than raw honey.
Overall… A lovely tea. I highly recommend!
Steepster won’t let me rate this for some reason. I’d give this a solid 91!

TeaBrat

glad you liked it. :)

Tea swap sample provided by @Amy Oh

This turned out to be a very interesting experience. I didn’t really expect such a dark colour and bold aroma from white tea. That being said, I wasn’t confident enough to write tasting notes, because I was so focused on just enjoying the tea.

So I’ll pass on rating it, and maybe purchase some in the future. It seems like the sort of tea you’d have to make a few times to appreciate.
On a scale of I hated or loved it, this is somewhere between this is really cool and I liked it a lot (not loved it).

100ml gaiwan, 5g, 6 steeps
(Sorry for the vague tasting notes!)

195 °F / 90 °C

This is a lighter tasting tea in my opinion. It has a hay-like taste and… Not really sweetness, but sorta. It has a roundish mouth feel. It’s not refreshing feeling, it’s more hardy it seems. There is a long finish of the hay tone.

Over all, I like it but it’s not a favorite. I’ll keep it as a some variety in my whites, something to mix it up with.