Mi Lan Xiang (Honey Orchid)

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by CharlotteZero

From Red Blossom Tea Company

Mi Lan Xiang is our most popular Phoenix Oolong. We usually see raised eyebrows from those trying this tea for the first time, followed with that inevitable question, is this tea flavored? It’s not, but the tea alone is remarkably flavorful. It is also a very serious tea, descended from a long line of Phoenix Shui Xian tea trees all bearing the unique honeyed aroma and flavor.

In English, Mi Lan Xiang means “Honey Orchid Fragrance.” This tea was gathered in April 2012 from an old grove sitting 950+ meters above sea level on Wudong Mountain in the Phoenix Mountain Range.

Mi Lan Xiang is crafted in the “Nong Xiang” style, where the leaves are oxidized to at least 30% then given repeat roasts until the honey-like aroma and flavor is brought forth. The resulting tea is sweet, with a subtle floral character not unlike lavender or orange blossom honey.

About Red Blossom Tea Company View company

This tea review is inspired by Bonnie and her unique style!

I have some big decisions to make soon and my mind has been racing all of yesterday and today. I needed something to clear my head. A hike? Some tea? Why not both! I packed up my Jetboil camp stove, my most durable yixing pot, a cup, a tiny vase, and some Mi Lan Xiang Dan Cong from Red Blossom. I found a spot near the bank of the Cache La Poudre river and created a tea space with rocks and logs and a cloth I brought with me. In the vase, I placed the first signs of spring—some willow branches close to bud-burst. The first steeping was intense, probably brewed a little too long, but full of flavor! Sweet plumy flavors and floral aromas were balanced by a slight astringency. Subsequent infusions lead to less complexity, but a more harmonious flavor. The slight astringency was replaced by a smooth and full-bodied mouthfeel and the floral aromas mellowed into a more honey-like taste. At the same time, my mind slowed along with the tea. Disparate and racing thoughts disappeared and were replaced by a calmness. I was finally able to be solidly in the present for the first time in a long while.

Bonnie

This has made me happier than you can imagine my friend.

This tea was sent to me as a sample. Very nice!