Dark Roast Tieguanyin

Almond, Honey, Roasted, Toffee
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by Erik Dabel

From Red Blossom Tea Company

Our Dark Roast Tieguanyin is a testament to the rewards that come from restraint and patience. It’s also a brilliantly delicious tea.

Harvested in Anxi County, Fujian Province in Spring 2011, the leaf is 30% oxidized, first by bruising the leaves in a bamboo drum and then allowing them to rest and gradually wither. The rest time enables the conversion of catechins into bioflavonoids while enriching the color of the liquor. We then asked the tea maker to finish the tea using a traditional loose roll and roast the tea in a way that does not leave too strong of a final impression.

Once in our hands, we give the tea its finishing roast – tuning the temperature and roast time to impart an extraordinarily robust character to the tea, but doing it in such a way to highlight its natural honeyed character. It takes quite a few patient hours to roast the tea to perfection. But the end result – rich nuttiness with hints of stone fruit, caramel and honey – is worth every minute.

About Red Blossom Tea Company View company

Dry dark emerald leaf ball with a scent of fresh mowed hay. Brewed up to a dark amber with scents of butter and gardenia. Soup has a full nutty, caramel flavor with a hint of florals and sweetness. Very smooth and a long finish would lead to this being anyone’s every day tea.

190 °F / 87 °C 2 min, 30 sec 7 g 6 OZ / 180 ML

I need to try this one! I sure do love a dark roast TGY.

Finally got through the loads of tea sitting on my shelf, at least to the point I could finally warrant a new order. (down to 5 greens, 2 whites, the last bits of a Pu-erh, and some samples is just not enough to live on…)

So, here we go, the first in a new order from the good folks at Red Blossom Tea Company!

I love a good Tieguanyin. A student of mine went to China and brought me back one of the best teas I have ever tasted, so this tea does have a bit to live up to.

Following the directions on Red Blossom’s website, I used 14 grams of leaves in my 32 ounce Bodum Assam teapot, rinsed, and then tumbled 200 degree water and steeped the brew for 2:30.

The scent is the first thing that hits you, and it is a good one. Just a bit of a roast sensation topping off a great, dark, malty base. The color is a bit deceiving, it looks lighter than it tastes and feels.

The taste… Damn. Nice and malty, with hints of almonds and toffee. The website says honey as well, thinking about it, yeah, it’s there, not sure I would have noticed that if it wasn’t on my mind.

This will make an EXCELLENT late autumn tea, sipping as the air turns brisk and the temps start to drop. If I have any left by then, of course!

Overall, this is a damn good Anxi Oolong.

Flavors: Almond, Honey, Roasted, Toffee

200 °F / 93 °C 2 min, 30 sec 14 g 32 OZ / 946 ML

Love dark roast oolongs. This sounds really good!

Sweet, nutty, garden with wild grass and lemon finish.