Nannuo Shan Shou Pu-erh, 2001

Pu-erh Tea
Drying, Malt, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by midnight lamp

• “This was my first Pu-erh. When I first acquired it, I was slightly overwhelmed by its earthy intensity. I drank it with curiosity but not with gusto. Six months later, I have returned to it with...” Read full tasting note
    heterodoxia 5 tasting notes
  • “2nd steeping of the same leaves. I did not add steeping time, instead keeping that at 2:00. I probably could have gone up to 2:15 or even 2:30, but it still came out great. Aroma: Brilliant. ...” Read full tasting note
    Erik Dabel 105 tasting notes

From Red Blossom Tea Company

A relatively new shou pu-erh from Nannuo Mountain, Xishuangbanna, Yunnan Province. Acquired from the same Hong Kong tea merchant as our 1997 Nannuo in 2003.

This tea has been in our possession for over eight years. In that time, short of the year it spent in Hong Kong’s humid environment, this tea has been dry stored in San Francisco. The result is a tea that still retains some of the dry, clean sweetness of youth, but is beginning to develop the darker, maltier character of an aged shou tea. We think this is a wonderful pu-erh to collect and age on your own.

About Red Blossom Tea Company View company

This was my first Pu-erh. When I first acquired it, I was slightly overwhelmed by its earthy intensity. I drank it with curiosity but not with gusto. Six months later, I have returned to it with very pleasing results. It brews deep tawny and wafts a pleasing fug of damp earth and leaves. The liquor is slightly smoky and surprisingly clean with a suggestion of mushroom. A hint of sweetness lingers on the back of the palate. This is an acquired taste that is well worth getting used to. I look forward to trying other fermented teas.

This tea lends itself well to numerous infusions; the sweetness fades, but the aroma of autumn leaves further develops. I increase the time by thirty seconds for each subsequent steeping.

Aroma: Brilliant. The first thing you notice is the big, malty, slightly chocolaty smell. There is a hint of dryness, but only slightly. You can tell right away, before it even hits your tongue, that it is bigger and more complex than that.

And then it hits your tongue. The balance between the dry, sweet, clean initial feel and the complex, rich, thick, almost creamy malt taste is amazing. That’s really all I can say. It’s a great, super solid, all around very well balanced Pu-erh. I might just stash some somewhere, or buy some more and leave it bagged, and let it age a few more years.

Oh, wait. The Red Blossom website says they are out of it. DAMN!

For the third steeping tomorrow, I will add a bit more time, maybe up it to 2:30. It can take it.