Tung Ting Charcoal Roasted

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by khsheehan

From Red Blossom Tea Company

In mid-April 2007, we drove two hours with our Spring harvest Tung Ting to a 72 year old master tea roaster. We were in search of traditional tea roasting methods using longan fruit wood and ash-lined charcoal pits. We found it in septuagenarian Mr. Chen.

Our Charcoal Roasted Tung Ting is mid-fired using longan fruit wood on racks set over ash-lined pits.

Roasted in intervals allows the tea to develop a rich complexity. Using mid-oxidized, more robust tea as a starting point gives the tea a pronounced caramelized sweetness.

About Red Blossom Tea Company View company

Its been awhile since I have had this tea! This was one of the first teas that I drank that really changed my whole outlook on tea in general. One of the first teas to make me break away from Teavana. I will admit I purchased this tea almost a year and half ago because of Kevin Rose. He said that this was his favorite tea. Long story short this was one of my “first” teas. Yes, I have always drank tea since I was little but never really saw the full range and complexity to it until I had this. It it made me want to buy more and try more.

I’m an oolong girl, and I have had many roasted and charcoal roasted oolongs that don’t measure up to this one. All you get is charcoal, and thats it with other charcoal roasted oolongs. This tea has a caramel fruitiness to it. A sweetness on the tongue that makes me smile cup after cup.
It is also a very forgiving tea. I can’t tell you how many times I let this oversteep, or used hotter water the I should have. This always produce a good cup of tea. Roasted fruitiness:)
Great for a person who is just getting into tea.

Its funny I have never written a review of this tea until now. It was at the bottom of one of my tea jars waiting for me to open it up again. I’m on my 6th steep now, and it is still going strong.I know that this tea is good, but I think I love it because it started me on my tea journey that continues to grow.:)

TeaBrat

Yay — the Red Blossom is a great place for tea in San Francisco….

BTVSGal

yes it is. I shave a few other teas from them to.

This is about my favorite oolong, when I want a comforting cup of no nonsense tea. This is the tea that made me understand the phrase mouthfeel. It is like your old jeans that get better and better and never let you down. Oddly, I adore the charcoal roasted aspect, and yet I can’t stand smoky teas. Lapsong, Caravan, just thinking about them makes me frown. So I would not call this smoky. It’s toasted! (Feel free to picture Don Draper giving the sales pitch).

I so appreciate that this tea co. is trying to support old traditions in tea production. I love that they are not only buying direct, they are actually controlling the process. I really respect that; this tea is superb and affordable.

I love this tea when it’s raining. I haven’t quite developed a taste for aged oolongs yet- they’re quite new to me. But I would say this tea is pleasant- it has some of the character of a roasted Taiwan oolong, but masked with a layer of aged depth to it. Interesting, not an everyday kind of tea for me but definitely satisfying and something about a rainy day makes me love brewing this tea.

Echoing tea. One of a kind scent. Fruity apricot taste with a caramel hint to it. Remarkable everyday cup of tea.

This tea is heavenly! The taste is both roasted and floral. Very interesting tea with high quality.

4th steeping. Aroma still there, just a bit more subtle. Coffee and woodsy, earthy, nutty scent still noticeable. The bold tastes of a few days ago have blended together more, and while each individual flavor is more subtle, the flavor all together is still bold and big.

Butterscotch! So much butterscotch! This is probably my favorite oolong tea (other than another charcoal-roasted tung ting that I received as a gift). I’m not usually a fan of oolong, but this tea is excellent. The tannins are present but well-hidden, and it’s hard to over/under-steep this tea to an unpleasant extent. Loses flavor after a few steepings.

Great Stuff. Definitely has a smokiness to it…but with great underlying complexity. It drinks like an expertly crafted cocktail.

I love this tea made strong, so the second steep is longer. This is my ‘wake-up’ tea on those cool mornings. Very smooth roast.

This is by far my favourite roasted Oolong tea, the first steep is excelent. somewhat strong, but with each steep you can really taste the Charcoal. This is a tea i will probably continue to drink for a very long time