heritage golden buddha

Edit tea info Last updated by CharlotteZero
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 oz / 88 ml

1 Tasting Note View all

From Red Blossom Tea Company

A new Wuyi oolong cultivar developed over a decade ago by the Wuyi Shan Tea Research Institute, Golden Buddha was created to highlight the sweet, creamy characteristics of traditional Wuyi Yan Chas.

Our Heritage Golden Buddha is thus a marrying of new and old – a fairly new varietal crafted using very traditional methods. Harvested in mid-May, the tea was first sun and shade-withered, then rolled, bruised and oxidized to 50% before a quick pan-roasting to halt the oxidation. The resulting “mao cha” was then given a traditional charcoal roasting over ash-lined charcoal pits.

The roasting adds an extra layer of complexity to an already delicious tea. The first two brews highlight the roast itself, with pronounced notes of burnt sugar and caramel. The true character of the tea reveals itself on subsequent brews: sweet cream, brown butter and graham cracker pie crust, with a sweet finish that brings to mind the caramelized sugar crust of a crème brulee.

About Red Blossom Tea Company View company

1 Tasting Note

Yum. This one is delicious. I only had about 14g left, so I used 6g of it for a gong fu session so I could finally log this tea, and the rest I will send off to thegreenteafairy. I will have to order more of this someday, but I am trying to work on not hoarding tea…

Flavors: Caramel, Cinnamon, Cream, Espresso, Plums

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 88 ML
Terri HarpLady

all I can do is smile at that last statement :)

I was thinking of you as I wrote it. :-P

CharlotteZero

Honestly, though, I have been inspired by your Sipdown Extravaganza to sipdown some teas myself…

greenteafairy

Can’t wait to try this one!

Terri HarpLady

Oh good! I aim to entertain & inspire always! :)

Terri HarpLady

AND I’m really looking forward to drinking those beautiful teas you send, oh so lovely & drool-worthy, once I get these sipdowns out of the way (maybe sooner…lol).

CharlotteZero

I’m keeping my eye out for your notes! :-)