Grand Shou Wild Leaf Lincang, 2006

Pu Erh Tea
Earth, Sugarcane, Malt, Sweet, Wet Earth
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by Erik Dabel

• “New experience… This was fantastic, but I’ve never had a pu’erh do what this did: I am 100% sure that this liquid was thinner than all other pu’erh that I have ever drank....” Read full tasting note
    Proust614 444 tasting notes
  • “Finding this tea strangely… not as satisfying as I’d hoped, considering the cost, how much trouble I had getting it back to my place in Canada (from San Francisco’s Chinatown),...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1344 tasting notes
  • “This is a great, solid Pu-erh. Nothing special, nothing extra, just big, bold, beautiful taste. Dark, velvety redish brown in color, matching the aroma of sweet, thick malt. The taste is right...” Read full tasting note
    erik-dabel 150 tasting notes
  • “A smooth, lightly earthy, everyday pu-erh. No exciting / overwhelming flavors, if you’ve tried other pu-erhs, but it’s very balanced. Pour out the first couple of (short)...” Read full tasting note
    shleepy 7 tasting notes

From Red Blossom Tea Company

(Image courtesy of redblossomtea.com.)

From redblossomtea.com:
“In the mid-1980s, we imported a rich shou pu-erh we called simply “Grand Pu-erh.” It was the tea that we weaned our pu-erh connoisseurs on. We brought in two shipments since the original and sold out. Our next Grand Shou was from 1997, and kept up the reputation as our richest and favorite shou.

This year, we present the 2006. Harvested from the wild and aged for seven years, the new Grand Pu-erh comes from the tea mountains of Lincang, southwest Yunnan Province. It was crafted as a “shou” tea, which means the maocha (or “raw tea”) was taken through a process of controlled accelerated fermentation. The acceleration increased the rate of aging and in the process created a rich, malty tea.

The initial aroma is one of fresh earth and malt. Brewed, the tea exhibits an underlying sweetness and clarity of flavor that is surprisingly delicious, with a complex finish that reflects its dry storage."

About Red Blossom Tea Company View company

New experience…
This was fantastic, but I’ve never had a pu’erh do what this did: I am 100% sure that this liquid was thinner than all other pu’erh that I have ever drank. It was really interesting to sip as this and realize how quickly it went down and how it felt in my mouth. Very light shou with a shou taste.
Quite a wonderful experience. I wish I had more of this to see if I could make it thicker (though I like what I got).

Finding this tea strangely… not as satisfying as I’d hoped, considering the cost, how much trouble I had getting it back to my place in Canada (from San Francisco’s Chinatown), and then how much the staffer raved about it.

It’s a standard puer, with a bit of a sweet, almost bitterly so aftertaste. It’s smooth and medium-bodied, with that je-ne-sais-quoi that makes it a puer… that earthiness, without being really smack-in-your-face about it.

Do I love it? Nope. Will I reach for it? Maybe. I doubt it. This was REALLY expensive tea, too, so… yeah. Going to try re-steeping it at least a few times to see if I enjoy it more.

Flavors: Earth, Sugarcane

Ubacat

I like doing the 10s, 10s, 15s, 20s, & 25s rinses before I even drink a puerh now. Hope you find the right steep for this one.

TeaBrat

hmm, I’ve never had this before but it’s never good when an expensive tea falls flat. Did you try it in the store?

Dark, velvety redish brown in color, matching the aroma of sweet, thick malt. The taste is right there as well, the malt is up front and present, followed closely behind by the taste of fresh wet Earth. Overall nice and sweet while still staying think and almost creamy with a dry, sweet finish.

Everything I want in a straight up, good Pu-erh tea.

-E

Flavors: Malt, Sweet, Wet Earth

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 9 tsp 32 OZ / 946 ML

Pour out the first couple of (short) steepings, and you’re good to go. Lasts through the work-day, and peaks after around 3-4 steepings. A light sweetness becomes noticeable in the finish, at that point.