Monkey Picked Tieguanyin

Oolong Tea
Fruity, Nuts, Smoke, Sweet, Earth, Ocean Air, Roasted nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by Erik Dabel

• “Had to do some work in San Francisco with the ladyfriend yesterday, so I made a trip over to Red Blossom to introduce her to my Mecca. We hung out for 15-20 minutes, smelled some great teas,...” Read full tasting note
    Erik Dabel 121 tasting notes

From Red Blossom Tea Company

For years, we called this tea our “Monkey Picked” Iron Goddess of Mercy. It has remained the cornerstone of our Anxi oolong collection for almost two decades – a solid everyday tea that reminds us of the way Tieguanyins were in the past: rich, mid-oxidized, and slightly high fired.

Harvested in Autumn, the leaf is 30% oxidized – achieved by first bruising the leaf with a bamboo drum and then allowing it to wither and oxidize. Once the proper degree of oxidation is reached, the leaves are medium roasted.

The resulting aroma is an unforgettable comingling of roasted nuts, ripe peaches and gardenias, in a liquor that is surprisingly light and sweet.

About Red Blossom Tea Company View company

Had to do some work in San Francisco with the ladyfriend yesterday, so I made a trip over to Red Blossom to introduce her to my Mecca. We hung out for 15-20 minutes, smelled some great teas, chatted with the good folks working there, and walked out with a Pu-erh for me and a Honey Orchid Oolong for her. More on those later, but today was steeping number 2 for Red Blossom’s Monkey Picked Tieguanyin Anxi Oolong tea.

I am a big fan if this one, hence the forcing myself to wait a couple more days before trying my new Pu-erh. It’s such a great, solid, straight up, straight forward Oolong.

The second steeping, in my opinion, is even better than the first. It’s a bit more subtle, but the different tasting motes are a bit more balanced. The Earthy aroma and taste that dominated the 1st steeping was not as dominant today, which let the smoke and fruit flavors loose.

And, maybe it’s my brain/bad memory, but it seems to be overall a bit smoother, with a slightly cleaner, not as dry, finish than yesterday.