Bavarian Cream Matcha

Matcha Tea
Cream, Lemon, Vanilla, Lemon Zest
Edit tea info Last updated by Ninavampi

• “I have really been dragging all day. I didn't sleep much for a couple of nights, plus allergies are acting up. Youngest had two dental/orthodontist appointments today and got a Herbst appliance,...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1876 tasting notes
  • “Having an odd day so far. I've been at work for...4 hours now, but have accomplished no work, though I did spend some time reading through new company processes so I guess that that maybe counts...” Read full tasting note
    Starfevre 556 tasting notes
  • “Post workout matcha! I made it a iced latte with bavarian cream matcha, splenda, soy protein and ice. It was a really nice cool day, so I did a jog to the post office. Got home, lifted weights....” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1075 tasting notes
  • “Work has been so stressful lately... I believe it is driving me crazy. I have a big project in the making and I coincidentally found out that there is another company who seems to be doing the...” Read full tasting note
    Ninavampi 160 tasting notes

From Red Leaf Tea

From the castles of 18th century French royalty, comes the delightfully delicious Bavarian cream. This vanilla flavored treat also makes an excellent accompaniment to many other desert favorites like fruits, nuts or even coffee. It is also wonderful with chocolate and many other coatings and fillings for cakes. Its warm and creamy taste refreshes the taste of any great tasting treat making it an easy choice for all family members. The very young energetic ones would love its well known and loved vanilla essence in the mouth while the senior citizens would adore the way it melts in the mouth. It is the palate’s dream come true.

Although it can be easily confused for vanilla custard because of the similarity in taste, Bavarian cream can hold its own among an assortment of favorite deserts or snacks. It can be taken as a mid mid morning energizer, mid afternoon rejuvenater or early evening aperitif.

About Red Leaf Tea View company

I’ve been waiting to try Red Leaf matcha for so long now – I keep hearing such wonderful things about it! This was a birthday present to myself. I’ve finally had time to sit down and try it.

Flavor: Bavarian Cream
Flavoring: Delicate
Size: Small

I wanted to try it first with minimal flavor, so that I could try to get a taste for the matcha itself. I think next time I’ll spring for robust, at least until I become a bit more accustomed to the matcha taste.

I put about a teaspoon into my 8oz Bodum Pavina glass cup, and then added about 2-3oz of hot water. I was terrified of making the water too hot and therefore burning it, so I erred on the cool side. I think I accidentally made it too cool.

I whisked that with my stick frother and then kept whisking as I poured milk and a bit of agave into the rest of the mug. It formed a beautiful, pale jade color with a healthy amount of lighter-colored froth on top. The bubbles fizz and pop.

It tastes beautifully creamy, and I’m sure that a lot of that is coming from the mixture of the flavoring and the milk. Then there’s a grassy, green tea behind it. I’m struggling to describe the scent – I can’t really think of anything aside from “matcha.” It’s so distinctive.

I’m still a bit perplexed by this, but I really, really like it so far. If anyone has any tips on how to make this better, please share! I definitely want to try more Red Leaf.

You can find the matcha here:

Hm. Cream inside a donut? Okay, I’ll try that.

Size: Small (30g)
Quality: Basic
Type: Regular
Flavor: Delicate
Made with 8oz cold coconut milk, 1 tsp of Truvia and mixed with a chasen.

It’s been a while since I’ve had a donut of any kind, much less one with cream in it. Still, I like pudding/cream and I used to eat eclairs with bavarian cream in them like they were something I needed to survive.

Out of the bag it smells light and creamy, and it tastes pretty much the same. There’s a hint of lemon, but it’s mostly cream and butter. While I like it, it definitely requires more stronger flavoring. This would be fun to mix with maraschino cherry and belgium chocolate to see if I could make my own version of a black forest cake.

Iced

Tonight was a crash course of Matcha Making 101.

I was able to get a gift certificate to Red Leaf Tea, and placed my order Friday. Their shipping was amazingly fast, because I checked the tracking number today to find it out for delivery. This was both very good, because it’s new tea (and when is that ever not good?) but also bad because I hadn’t actually looked into preparing matcha and here I was, the proud owner of 4 1 oz. packages of it.

I didn’t let that stop me.

I Macgyver-ed up system to approximate the matcha chasen, whisk, and bowl. Basically, I used my strainer from David’s Tea as a sifter, sifted the matcha into a stainless steel milk frother, and poured a small amount of hot water over. It frothed up, and then I added some more hot water into the frother before pouring that into a small square bowl that I drank it out of.

But going back to the matcha itself:

The powder was sort of an olive green, maybe a shade or so brighter. I went with the distinctive flavoring level for this one, which is one below delicate of their flavoring options. The scent was very lime/lemony more than anything else. I was kind of disappointed actually, because I was expecting a strong vanilla/custard note. But there was a tinge of creaminess in the scent, and I like lemon flavors, so I had high expectations.

I tried about 1/2 tsp. of the matcha with milk as the base first, and then water. The milk method resulted in a creamy, lemon tinged matcha with a grassy undertone from the green tea. I liked the flavor contrast from the creamier, sweet flavor to the slight bitterness of the matcha. I don’t know that I would have called it Bavarian cream, but I do know that I had two bowls of it because the first one made me want more.

The second bowl was made with just water, and after the milk option and all of its richness this rendition didn’t have much chance of winning the flavor contest. However, it did froth up nicely and the color of the liquor was a beautiful emerald green. I just spoiled my taste buds with the first option, and there’s no going back now. :)

So, do I like flavored matcha? Definitely. This is only the first of the four I bought from Red Leaf Tea, so that’s a good thing – I’m going to be swimming in this stuff for a while yet!

180 °F / 82 °C

This is my first experience drinking matcha. After seeing so many positive reviews of Red Leaf matcha’s, I was finally able to get some in a swap (thank yooooou SO much RogersCK !)

Oh. My goodness. This matcha is nothing short of mind blowing. It tastes so buttery and velvety, an leaves an intoxicatingly creamy feel on the tongue afterwards. I didn’t add milk or sugar, and it tasted like it had cream in it on its own. While this definitely has a richness to it, I love the fact I don’t have an overwhelmingly sickened stomach by the end, like I do with certain heavy black teas. I actually feel quite energized. GAH! I am ordering more of this pronto. New favorite beverage? Oh yeah. If all matcha teas aren’t as good as this, then I am most definitely ruined. Good thing that Red Leaf Tea has so many flavors!

190 °F / 87 °C

This Bavarian Cream Matcha smells great but tastes even better – delicious! I’ve been exploring the world of teas and decided to give matcha a try. And I couldn’t have been happier. This great matcha can be found at:

Size : Large, Matcha
Quality: Royal (Premium Grade)
Matcha Type: Organic Matcha
Flavor: Delicate

With the delicate flavor the Bavarian cream taste is light, but this really is some of the best tasting green tea I’ve had. This matcha tea doesn’t have the usual over powering grassy taste often found with some other green teas. It still is a green tea, but very, very smooth. It couldn’t be easier to drink, and the added cream flavor really does make it something special. Although, I am getting hooked on the Bavarian cream flavor so I might bump it up the next flavor level next time.

All you have to do is just heat some water, whisk away a little green matcha powder, top off with as much milk as you’d like, add a couple ice cubes, and you have the perfect way to start your morning – with a refreshing ice cold green tea latte.

I’d highly recommend this Bavarian Cream Matcha from Red Leaf Tea.

This is my first tea from Red Leaf Tea, as well as my first flavored matcha. So let’s get down to it.
THE SPECS:
Size: Small (30 grams)
Quality: Royal Grade(Premium)Green Matcha
Flavor Strength: Distinctive
Other: I also opted for the small metal tin.

I was first introduced by Red Leaf Teas on this site when I looked at the top rated teas, wanting to try something different that was proven to be delicious. The top rated tea was Red Leaf Tea’s Caramel Matcha. When I went to the site, they had a matcha for sale, which was the Bavarian Cream Matcha, found here —> http://www.redleaftea.com/matcha-tea/bavarian-cream-matcha.html . I decided I would take advantage of the sale to try something new. I am so glad I did!! First, the feature of being able to choose the grade, flavor strength, and size of the matcha is ingenious. It is also clear that this company means to put out the best product possible, and wants you to handle it properly to get the best experience. I was surprised to learn that matcha should be kept in the refrigerator or freezer to maintain freshness.
Onto the flavor itself. This matcha is wonderful. The smell is delicious; creamy, citrusy, vanilla smell. Just like a custard should be. Making this the traditional way, the matcha itself is smooth with a hint of pleasant bitterness on the back end. The Bavarian Cream flavor does not disappoint. It is rich and custardy and refreshing. It balances the grassy green flavor of the matcha wonderfully. The citrus-like flavor comes through and is bright, making this a cup of delectable complexity. I still have a problem with frothing and whisking properly, so I prefer this in other nontraditional way. My favorite method is in a breakfast smoothie, as follows:

1 tablespoon Matcha
1 scoop Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
~1 cup frozen banana chunks, more or less depending on desired thickness
1 cup of milk (I use almond coconut milk, since I’m lactose intolerant)

just add all of the ingredients to a blender and process until smooth. This is a definite perk-me-up. You will have no problem feeling, full, satisfied, awake and alert after this momma.

Anywho, in conclusion, this is just damn delicious, and I WILL be getting more. I suggest you do the same.

140 °F / 60 °C

I have this in the robust flavor level.

That makes this perfect.

Shaken in milk…….omm nom nom.

It really have a great bavarian cream flavor.

I had this one yesterday afternoon but I didn’t have a chance to review it. This one is has less of a flavor in comparison to the others I have tried (Caramel, Caramel Popcorn). This one tastes creamy and vanilla, it reminds me a bit of the vanilla protein powder I have but with a green tea bitterness. I had to add a little sugar to help flavor this one. Very tasty but not my favorite of theirs (because the rest are AMAZING.)

Thank you so much Courtney for sharing some of your precious Bavarian Cream with me!

This is one of my favorite matcha flavors now. Really good and creamy and vanilla-y :D

It has been a really long time since I actually ate anything filled with Bavarian cream, but it seems pretty spot-on flavor wise!

Courtney

I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

Megan

I just ordered this one! Now I’m really excited to try it.

Thank you Courtney for the sample! I love getting to try new matcha flavours so it was a pleasant surprise. I also liked being able to try it before placing my matcha order (which I put in tonight: 30g of Bananas & Cream, Cheesecake, Coconut, Pear, Pineapple, Strawberries & Cream, and Tiramisu).

I had this in the morning for breakfast and I have to say… Not so impressed.

It was prepared in cold milk but I didn’t really get much of any kind of flavour from it: just maybe a faint touch of creaminess? But it was weak and left me wanting so much more from it. Not my cuppa tea at all…

But still thankful I got to try it! Maybe I’ll double the dose next cup…

VariaTEA

The weird thing is, I have found many people, including myself, don’t taste anything in the first cup but the flavor comes out in subsequent glasses.

Roswell Strange

I’ll keep that in mind.

Courtney

Bleh. I’m happy to see Coconut made it into your order though. :)