Pineapple Matcha

Matcha Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by aisling of tea

• “I used to have an unhealthy love affair with matcha. That is, two huge mugs a day, with coconut or almond milk, and a hint of maple syrup. Always ceremonial grade, and always in a downtown Calgary...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 949 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! Thanks, *Sil*. This was sooooo good! I'm just having it in water today. I think I prefer it as a latte. I might prefer ALL matcha as lattes. It's tart and green and pineappley. It's...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1172 tasting notes
  • “Third (late) morning/breakfast cup - this time prepared as tea soda. Sadly I'm going to be out of this soon, which is just awful because I love it so much! -When I eventually break hiatus I'll...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1201 tasting notes
  • “Well after reading the discussion thread *Lala* posted about matcha smoothies, I caved and decided to try one for myself. I used 1/2 tsp of this matcha combined with 1/2 tsp of Madagascar Vanilla...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1374 tasting notes

From Red Leaf Tea

Pineapple Matcha with its lively fruity appeal is an excellent every day treat for those who want to entice their palates with a combination of sweet tasting pineapple and the light Matcha charm. This exceptional fruity treat can instantly become a favorite with both children and adults because of its exceptionally tasty presence within the palate. It forms a wonderful accompaniment for both foods and drinks that need to be enlivened by the tangy taste of pineapples.

This refreshing treat is with its well-rounded taste is a true feast for the senses and makes its takers want to explore much more. It can also be a trendy refreshment choice in any social occasion where variety is the spice of life. This treat is appreciated for its unmistakable fruity appeal that is mellowed by Matcha’s velvety touch making a treat that is unforgettable in its ability to enhance taste and overall pleasure

About Red Leaf Tea View company

I used to have an unhealthy love affair with matcha. That is, two huge mugs a day, with coconut or almond milk, and a hint of maple syrup. Always ceremonial grade, and always in a downtown Calgary tea house. The staff knew when I walked in the door what to make me, and would have it ready by the time I’d set up my laptop. The manager once told me that when I was ‘rich and famous’, she’d cordon off ’B’s table’ like they do for Hemmingway in Havana.

Matcha and I had a bit of a falling out, only because I moved around a lot after that and have yet to find a public writing spot that I love as much (and that also serves proper matcha). So when I saw that Red Leaf sells many different, flavored variations of matcha? Oh yes. I’m ordering.

I’ve shared quite a bit of this order already, however this is the first I’ve tried.

Size: Small (30g)
Quality: Basic
Type: Regular
Flavor: Delicate

Out of the bag, this smells like candied pineapple to me. There’s a hint of a chemical quality to it, however for the most part it’s pure pineapple. I missed how much a ‘scoop’ is (there’s a handy printout that comes with your order), so I winged it and went with 1 tsp for 8oz of coconut milk, and four ice cubes in the blender. Whirrr…. done.

Hm. I think my proportions are off, as the pineapple tastes bit weak and all I really can taste is the matcha. Of the pineapple that I do taste, it’s at the end of the sip and builds gradually. Sweet, fruity, juicy. It’s going down REALLY easily. :)

Iced
MissB

Sigh. Having issues posting my review to the Red Leaf site. Any suggestions?

Also, what’s the proportion, or the ‘scoop’ that Red Leaf talks about? Anyone know? There was no scoop in my order.

VariaTEA

I usually use 1/2 tsp for about an 8 oz mug – that was a suggestion from my roommate and it usually tastes pretty good. However, I think that is way off from what you are actually supposed to use.

Nxtdoor

It is my opinion they are referring to matcha scoops. As opposed to a normal size tea scoop. Shops who sell matcha also sell special matcha scoops which make it easier to measure the right amount.

MissB

Do you mean the matcha spoon? The curved wood or bamboo stick – looking thing?

MissB

I feel like my proportions are so off… if I go here http://www.redleaftea.com/matcha-recipes-en/cold-matcha-latte.html it says 1 tbsp for 22 oz of liquid.

MissB

Sigh, and the hot version says 12 oz. I think I’ll try 12 tomorrow.

OMGsrsly

1 tbsp? I usually use 1/2 to 1 tsp for 16oz, and find it plenty. I think I had the robust pineapple though. Or maybe distinctive.

MissB

Okay. So my proportions really are off then. Or maybe I should just order distinctive/robust in the future!

OMGsrsly

I just use 1/2-1 tsp in 16oz because that’s what I use of plain matcha. If you like the caffeine hit, then definitely use more! :) Robust is too much, in my opinion. It can get a bit chemical tasting, depending on the flavour.

I have the caramel matchaccino, and using a scoop (it’s just about 2 tbsp I think) of it in 16oz is too much for me. When I ordered, I don’t think I had the option of choosing “delicate”.

OMGsrsly

D’oh! I have the COCONUT matchaccino.

MissB

I’m going to try Dexter’s sample that she sent me of tropical tomorrow, and maybe some caramel macchachino. Ah, good to know about the robust.

OMGsrsly

If you like coconut, I can share mine too. I have 2 cups of the powder still. O.o

MissB

Holy moly! Love to try it. I’ve got about that of the caramel macchachino, and then smaller sizes of matcha pineapple, bavarian cream, caramel, cheesecake, with another seven flavors on their way. :$

OMGsrsly

Oh, you got sucked in! :) I’ll add some to your bag. Do you have any fruity flavours coming? I think that’s mostly what I’m interested in at least sniffing. The Bavarian Cream I thought was best as a mixer, to make fruity ice creamy smoothies (with a frozen banana and almond milk usually).

MissB

All creamy -type stuff (english toffee, irish cream, etc.) unfortunately.

OMGsrsly

Oh well! CrowKettle is sharing some more (potentially weird) fruity flavours when we next see each other.

Sipdown! Thanks, Sil. This was sooooo good!

I’m just having it in water today. I think I prefer it as a latte. I might prefer ALL matcha as lattes.

It’s tart and green and pineappley. It’s nice, but I think I’ll add some warmed milk.

Nightshifter

I prefer ALL matcha as lattes, too. :)

Matcha = latte or smoothie. Water = not as good

OMGsrsly

The sweetness and texture of the milk really adds something good. :)

TeaBrat

I find that flavored matchas are not very good when you try to drink them plain.

Third (late) morning/breakfast cup – this time prepared as tea soda. Sadly I’m going to be out of this soon, which is just awful because I love it so much! When I eventually break hiatus I’ll place a giant Red Leaf order and pick up more.

I used 1 tsp. of matcha to flavour a full can of Club Soda. No sweetner – this doesn’t really need it. I believe (I always forget) that this is distinct flavouring? Either VariaTEA or Sil should remind me.

Also, the carbonation is totally doing its part to wake me up! Yay for that! I’m also happy to report, I think I’ve finally gotten over the whole ‘drinking flavours that aren’t meant to be green’ thing so I no longer have to drink my matcha in solid water bottles and pretend I’m not, for example, drinking green eggnog. Also yay for that!

VariaTEA

Yeah, this one is distinctive.

Kat_Maria

Does the strike through that sentence mean that you gave in and just placed that giant order? ;D

Roswell Strange

Thankfully it does not! If I wasn’t unemployed, I’m sure I would have – but for now my cart sits ;)

roswell..if you’re itching to try more flavours, give me a poke later on. I have a bunch of matcha i need to get around to sharing with ppl because it’ll take me forever to drink up

Well after reading the discussion thread Lala posted about matcha smoothies, I caved and decided to try one for myself. I used 1/2 tsp of this matcha combined with 1/2 tsp of Madagascar Vanilla matcha (both provided by the ever so generous Sil), one frozen and VERY ripe banana, and a glass of cold 1% milk.

More than anything I am tasting the banana but there is the slightest hint of Pineapple. It is also very creamy. However, I think my venture into matcha smoothies was not particularly successful this time around. Next time, I will try with some more matcha in order to bring out the flavors. Oh well, you live and you learn.

ETA: I found the vanilla flavor right at the bottom of the cup. Hmmm…

OMGsrsly

Frozen pineapple works in them too. It also gives a creamy texture. I use it with coconut matcha. So good.

VariaTEA

hmmm i will have to try that.

Sipdown!

My matcha was composed of the following:
Size : Small
Matcha Quality: Starter (Basic Grade)
Flavor: Distinctive

I have a soft spot for the pineapple flavour in life savers. It might be my favourite. Even if it’s not quite actual pineapple taste (which i LOVE), those life savers are my happy place. When i cracked open this matcha – it was like smelling an entire package of those delicious life savers. I was in my happy place. Now, I’ve shared this matcha with a few people but i haven’t yet gotten around to reviewing it. Today, i figured why the heck not!
I opted to drink this as a latte even if some part of me was a little wary about milk + pineapple. Honestly? SOOOOO Good! I think the distinctive level is the right way to go for this one, or possibly delicate. Robust would make this a little too artificial i think.
The milk actually helps to smooth out the edge of the pineapple. Each sip is like the first instant you put a life saver into your mouth. Before i knew it, i had finished up my double mug of this! Even after it was gone, i could taste it, lingering…the best part? the after taste is more like actual pineapple. I think this will likely be a reorder!
Buy it here: http://www.redleaftea.com/matcha-tea/pineapple-matcha.html

JustJames

YUM!!!!!

Tea Sipper

The pineapple lifesaver is my favorite lifesaver too!

OMGsrsly

I loved this one. Thanks so much for sharing. :) I haven’t tried it with just water, or in a smoothie. Lattes all the way!

For months I have been hearing about this mysterious “shake it up in a water bottle” method of making matcha. I wanted to try it since I try to drink a glass of matcha every day, but alas I had nothing to make it in. I drink filtered tap water, and I have been lacking in teaware since I always end up spending my money on tea instead. The lack of a tea tumbler is something I constantly complain about when going out (especially to the movies, how nice would it be to have a hot thermos full of your favorite tea instead of sugary soda?) so my boyfriend surprised me with a wonderful double-walled tea thermos for xmas! Finally, the elusive “shake it up” method is within my reach.

Usually to make a glass of matcha I have to boil water, mix up a starter base with matcha + hot water, and then pour it in a glass with cold water. This way is a lot easier: matcha and water in the thermos, shake it up! Voila! No sifting required, it’s so easy. Today I’m doing it with the Pineapple Matcha I got in a swap with Chuckieroy! It was one I always wanted to order but kind of slipped my mind, so I’m happy to have a shot at it now.

Mmm! It’s softly tropical pineapple, not fake or artificial tasting. It’s just a little bit sweet, and has that rind-y taste I found in the mango matcha. I have enough of this generous sample left to mix it with coconut—homemade pina colada!

Yum yum yum. It has been ungodly hot at work lately, so I wanted a fruity matcha to just shake up in cold water, and this is the first one I came across. I had forgotten how good this is! I loved it. It was nice and refreshing. The pineapple flavor is gorgeous. I think I underestimated this one.

Backlog:

Really good! I absolutely love this Pineapple Matcha. The sweetness and slight tangy note of the pineapple melds really well with the sweet, slightly vegetal note of the matcha.

For this Matcha, I chose the classic grade of Matcha with the distinctive level of flavoring and I’m really satisfied with this combination. The matcha froths up a little. I might be happier with some more froth, but, flavor wise, this is really good. And there is a really good balance of the two flavors. I can taste the pineapple, and I can taste the matcha.

There is a faint chemical/artificial note to this … that gives the pineapple a sort of “candy” like taste as opposed to being something more true to the fruit. I don’t notice it so much when I’m casually sipping, but when I’m really focusing on the flavors, I notice just a bit of artificial-ness to this.

Overall, though, it’s really quite tasty.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/03/29/pineapple-flavored-matcha-from-red-leaf-tea/

on the fly with this one….

thanks to sil, you and i have very similar tastes. sil, do you think that matcha and too loud music can replace sleep? somewhat? possibly altogether? i’ve been performing an inadvertent experiment…… and shortly an exam. yay! there will be irrefutable proof in the paper!

thank you sil!

cold, with xylitol. very nice.

Iced 0 min, 15 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

glad you liked it :) i wish you sleep soon!

JustJames

snuck to you in plain sight while in a lecture, lol.

Holy moly. This is a lovely flavor for almost anything. I love pineapple, and when its made with warm almond milk it could come to be a favorite. I can’t wait to see if I like all of the other flavors the lovely MissB sent me in my mystery box. Will be adding them as I try them because putting them in my cupboard hasn’t quite happened yet.

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
MissB

Oh yay, looks like it got there safely! Awesome. :)