Belgium Chocolate Matcha (Black Base)

Black Matcha Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Red Leaf Tea
175 °F / 79 °C

• “For my reward for posting reviews to the Amazon UK site, I got to select three flavors of Matcha, in any base and flavor intensity that I wanted. Awesome prize, right? I thought it was going to...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4231 tasting notes
  • “Not quite sure what I did to this today, but it's quite bitter, even with about twice as much sweetener as I originally wanted to use. Will have to pay more attention next time. Maybe froth more?...” Read full tasting note
    Starfevre 501 tasting notes

From Red Leaf Tea

This dessert-like drink will knock your socks off! We’ve combined our fabulous Matcha Tea with cocoa powder to make a drink everyone will love and crave. This is an amazing beverage that can be served any time to anybody. Not only does this tea offer all the health benefits of Matcha Green Tea, it gives a little chocolate kick you are sure to love. This dessert-style beverage is healthy, tasty and will make you smile.

It is not often that you find a drink so good and so good for you like this chocolate delight. The health benefits are numerous and include cancer-fighting properties, blood detoxification, blood sugar level stabilizing and has high fiber content. Packed with nutrients and antioxidants, drinking this tea not only helps during the winter, but keeps your strength up during the summer. And with a tasty chocolate addition, it is a great hot chocolate drink for those cold nights and a yummy cool chocolate froth on those warmer days too.

You can’t go wrong with amazing benefits and tastefulness of this chocolatey tea. Treat yourself to this amazing tea and serve it to all your friends. You’ll be the hit of every get-together with this chocolate treat. It’s healthier than dessert and tastes better too! Treat yourself, your family and friends to this delightful organic drink that everyone will rave about.

About Red Leaf Tea View company

For my reward for posting reviews to the Amazon UK site, I got to select three flavors of Matcha, in any base and flavor intensity that I wanted. Awesome prize, right? I thought it was going to be an amazing, ultimate custom blend of this Belgium Chocolate, Caramel and Cheesecake flavors in the black base, and thinking I was going to have the ultimate chocolate caramel cheesecake Matcha latte, but instead, Red Leaf Teas was even more awesome by sending them in their own, separate, individual packages so that I could try them each on their own before I mixed them up! I also like this because I can adjust the ratios the way I see fit.

The specifications for this Matcha are the Black base Matcha, which I previously reviewed here: http://sororiteasisters.com/2011/11/05/organic-black-matcha-from-red-leaf-tea/ and can be obtained in its pure form here: http://www.redleaftea.com/matcha-tea/black-matcha.html I then selected the Belgium Chocolate flavor at robust level of flavoring, which is available here: http://www.redleaftea.com/matcha-tea/belgium-chocolate-matcha.html I chose the robust level of flavoring with the black tea base because I figured with the stronger flavor of the black tea, I needed to have a big boost of flavor.

And this combination is amazing together. It tastes like hot chocolate, only better. Sweet, chocolate-y and rich … and the bold flavor of the black tea – which is slightly malty and smooth, with hints of a caramel-y undertone – and the robust chocolate create a very full-flavored bowl of Matcha. I tried it first prepared “traditionally” with hot water (using hotter water than I would with green Matcha, of course) and whisking it, and it tasted really good, but, I thought it could use a little creaminess to it, so I added a splash of milk (I didn’t warm it), and frothed the mixture with my hand-held frothing tool. It had a little bit of froth, not quite as much as I normally achieve with a green Matcha and a bamboo whisk… since I used my frother and since this is a black tea, I can’t figure out which change resulted in less froth, but, froth isn’t the only reason I drink Matcha so I’m not too worried about it.

The water-prepared Matcha has a slight perfume-y/chemical-y scent and taste, but with the milk, this taste is muted to the point where it is barely noticeable. Sure, I’d rather it not be there, but, I find so much that I DO like about this Matcha that I’m not going to dwell on the one thing that I do not. I look forward to the blending opportunities with this, as well as just drinking it on it’s own. It’s yummy!

PS: Thank you so much Red Leaf Tea for this amazing prize. I am so thrilled!

Not quite sure what I did to this today, but it’s quite bitter, even with about twice as much sweetener as I originally wanted to use. Will have to pay more attention next time. Maybe froth more? Drink faster? Use less?

Used 1 teaspoon to make one 10 oz mug.

175 °F / 79 °C