Emperor's Matcha

Green Matcha Blend
Bitter, Creamy, Dust, Milk, Sweet, Vegetal, White Chocolate, Coffee, Roasted, Spinach
Edit tea info Last updated by Red Leaf Tea

• “Red Leaf Tea Emperor’s Matcha is very Earthy, green and vegetal. This matcha has a very creamy, thick mouth feel…VERY Read full tasting note
    MacchaMan 54 tasting notes
  • “Red Leaf Tea had a unique promotion for this matcha they called "name your own price". So, I was able to put it what I thought the tea was worth and try it out. It’s definitely a...” Read full tasting note
    forkyfork 170 tasting notes
  • “Spring time means matcha time! This is one of the matcha that I have picked for this season. I opened the package, and the smell is intoxicating. Its a deep buttery milk chocolate scent that just...” Read full tasting note
    Haveteawilltravel 179 tasting notes
  • “The dry matcha in my warmed chawan smells fruity and sweet. After whisking the matcha, the smell is more vegetal and nutty with maybe a little hint of popcorn. The matcha tastes a little roasty and...” Read full tasting note
    ShiningLion 212 tasting notes

From Red Leaf Tea

From the succulent Japanese hills in Uji, Kyoto, an exclusive brand of tea is nurtured known as the Emperor Matcha. This tea is as rare as its elite location, which is also known as the origin of the sophisticated and elaborate Japanese tea ceremony.

Emperor Matcha tea can only be produced through a special process that involves growing it in cool and well shaded environments. It is ground into a fine paste using ancient stone grinding techniques that are designed to bring out its rich savor. It has been described as possessing a velvety and buoyant taste. The fine enriching flavor that comes from the Emperor Matcha tea is highly sought by the most affluent of the world.

In addition to being an excellent accompaniment to any high tea gathering, the Emperor Matcha tea has a highly nutritive value. It aids the body in its constant fight against diseases and also adds to the general nutritional balance of the body. It can be enjoyed in any setting as long as the participants are willing to appreciate the added elegance that this fine tea lends to any atmosphere. This is because of its superior and unique taste.

Like many other top notch teas, the Emperor Matcha contains sufficient amounts of amino acids and also caffeine that can get anybody to jump start their busy day easily. For those who want to spend time in quiet relaxation and meditation, adding a cup of Emperor Matcha, allows the body to relax and glide into its naturally physically relaxed and meditative state.

Emperor Matcha is aesthetically beautiful in its herbal bright green hue and it’s unforgettable rich lingering aroma.

About Red Leaf Tea View company

Red Leaf Tea Emperor’s Matcha is very Earthy, green and vegetal. This matcha has a very creamy, thick mouth feel…VERY UMAMI!!!

The only way I describe the flavor profile is a creamy-spinachy taste and vegetal to the palate. The flavor stays with you after finishing your portion; with a slight hint of sweetness undertone.

The matcha whisks up into a very thick, creamy, bright almost fluorescent green crema on top of a beautiful dark Jade green liquor…VERY BEAUTIFUL, exactly what you strive for when preparing and enjoying a bowl of matcha!

Best made as KOICHA, but can add more water to taste if desired.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this matcha if you are a connoisseur or are familiar with the proper preparation of this fine beverage.

Red Leaf Tea had a unique promotion for this matcha they called “name your own price”. So, I was able to put it what I thought the tea was worth and try it out. It’s definitely a unique way to try higher quality matchas. And with that, on with the tea!

When I first got the package and inspected the matcha, I was surprised how bright green it was. I know color is a good indicator of quality, and this matcha is even greener than my highest quality matcha I currently own. I was very surprised! The smell was definitely grassy, with definite hints of spinach. But, how would it taste?

While I recognize the proper way to brew this matcha is to heat it up and put it in a bowl, my current preferred (read: lazy) way is to put in a cup with some water and ice and give it a good shake. It’s just been the mood I’ve been in for the last few weeks. I refuse to add any sweetener though- I do want to be able to enjoy the matcha taste on its own. My first taste test I used 1/3 tsp of matcha powder with 16 oz of water, but I believe that was too much. For the second, I dialed it back to 1/2 tsp and that made the matcha a lot more enjoyable (and it can make the powder go farther)!

After the above preparation, the matcha definitely still has a strong grassy taste. There is a little bitterness, but not that much since it’s such a good quality product. It’s not quite as sweet as I would like, but it’s not a bad tasting matcha either. This would definitely appeal to someone who likes a nice strong “green tasting” matcha tea. I would not recommend this for someone who wants to drink high quality matcha, but isn’t such a huge fan of the grassy taste of some green teas.

As a reminder you can get this matcha here: http://www.redleaftea.com/matcha-tea/emperor-matcha-tea.html

Iced

Spring time means matcha time! This is one of the matcha that I have picked for this season. I opened the package, and the smell is intoxicating. Its a deep buttery milk chocolate scent that just smells so creamy! I grabbed my tools and prepared. I placed a generous amount of this vibrant green powder in my Chawan. The warmed matcha has a smooth peanut butter aroma. I thought this to be higher quality matcha, so I decided to brew Koicha. Sadly, I was mistaken. The Koicha turned out terrible. This brew had a dirty mouthfeel, and I almost choked. I added water to correct my mistake and it was still slightly dusty. I attempted twice (once with a sieve, the other without) to see if maybe I just sifted incorrectly. On both occasions it was still dusty and bitter. It carries a deep vegetal flavor with a lasting sweetness. This is still an enjoyable matcha, but if only prepared usucha. The main flavors mix well and create a balanced brew with a slight bitterness. I will enjoy the rest of my matcha thin. This would make a great beginner matcha for someone who is just starting out. I am still on the hunt for a stellar matcha to prepare Koicha.

Flavors: Bitter, Creamy, Dust, Milk, Sweet, Vegetal, White Chocolate

175 °F / 79 °C

The dry matcha in my warmed chawan smells fruity and sweet.

After whisking the matcha, the smell is more vegetal and nutty with maybe a little hint of popcorn. The matcha tastes a little roasty and very umami rich like spinach with an accompanying bitterness that lingers on the tongue. It’s got a hint of fruit flavor hiding in the background, but mostly what comes through is a roasted taste. It is rather biting on the tongue.

It also leaves a really gritty feeling in my mouth even though the matcha was put through an extremely fine sieve before whisking. There seem to be pieces that feel scratchy and dry. I’m not enjoying that at all. It kind of makes me choke.

Up to that point I was indifferent about it, but the drying texture of it is rather offputting to me. Nothing bad on Red Leaf Tea, I have rated another of their matchas “100” in another review.

Flavors: Coffee, Roasted, Spinach