Golden Yunnan

Yunnan Dian Hong
Honey, Raisins, Stonefruits, Thick, Malt, Pepper, Cocoa, Cream, Plums
High
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “Morning cup. It's very unusual for me to be up this early as I'm a high school student in the midst of my summer break, it really only happens when I can't sleep and that is the case this morning....” Read full tasting note
    Kwinter 169 tasting notes
  • “This tea has beautiful black and gold leaves and a rich malty peppery taste. This is a robust tea with a raisiny smell and caramel notes. Its mellow and smooth, no bitterness or astringency that...” Read full tasting note
    Maniac49 429 tasting notes
  • “I think this is my third review of this tea. I've been sipping it constantly since I made a pitcher last night. I made two quarts with eight teaspoons of this yunnan, and one teaspoon of the...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 474 tasting notes
  • “This is my last caffeinated tea of the day and I'm glad that I picked this one! It has a great peppery bite with a great caramel sweetness towards the end of the sip. I can tell that I need to...” Read full tasting note
    mrawlins2 1015 tasting notes

From Rishi Tea

This certified organic black tea is harvested from Yunnan’s ancient tea trees. Its deeply flavored infusion has notes of peppery spice, chocolate, sweet raisin, and a malty finish. Golden Yunnan has expertly fermented, even graded leaves and big, golden buds. Its wonderfully full-flavored and rich body is a treat for black tea lovers.

About Rishi Tea View company

An extremely robust, malty tea with a muted caramel finish. You’ll almost need to do a doubletake when you take a sip of this tea because it’s so strong. The directions tell you to use a full tablespoon but I suggest using a teaspoon and brewing it for 3 minutes or less. We made the mistake of following the directions and the tea was somewhat bitter. It does get sweeter, or at least more muted, as it cools, and I love that these leaves hold up to a rebrewing. Ultimately, a high quality, wonderfully dark and strongly caffeeinated tea. I can see why so many people drink this as the morning tea (or as a very concentrated shot of teapresso). Personally, I prefer lighter, naturally sweet teas so I’d drink this tea as a morning jolt only. Still, really great, strong flavor.

This has been my favorite tea for over two years now, its malty sweetness cannot be matched for this type of tea. I haven’t found any other Yunnan black tea that has a similar flavor. It also makes a WONDERFUL iced tea. I mix with a natural cane sugar (Florida Crystals) not the darker the lighter sugar. Everyone who has tasted this at my place is just struck at how good of iced tea this is compared to anything they have ever tried. I make a pot in the morning and then use it for iced tea later in the day. This is a dark infusion and gets sweeter as it cools. While they say you can do multiple infusions a lot of the complexity is lost in a later infusion.

Quickly becoming my favorite black tea.

Solid tea. ’Nuff said

I had originally thought of this as a step up from Rishi’s China Breakfast. It looks like it has more golden tips so I was expecting a slightly sweeter tea with the the same vanilla and cocoa flavors that I enjoy in China breakfast. But I was disappointed. As another reviewer described it, this tea is flat and boring. I think I might actually prefer China Breakfast.

This is also becoming one of my favorite black teas. It has a wonderful, barely smoky aroma, and steeps to a honey colored brew. There are some vague peppery notes, but it tastes slightly malty, slightly carmel like, bright and mellow, with no bitter notes at all.

Just a great, wonderful black tea. Should stand up well to milk & sugar (and honey). Not sure how much cups you can get from this 3.2 oz container, but it seemed to last forever.

A bit on the toasty side, I find this tea to be a favorite of mine. Easy to go to when I just want something to sip on and not have to think about much. It is nearly a daily tea for me.

A nice tea. Deliciously malty and nicely balanced. Not as strong of a caramel finish as some other Golden Yunnans, such as Itoen’s, but it’s organic (not a small consideration given Chinese farmers penchant for pesticide spray) and fair trade. And there is something really cool about having wild-harvested tea from 1,300-year-old tea trees.

I purchased this tea while I was in western New York on vacation this summer. I desperately needed a good cup of black tea to get me going in the mornings, because for once in my life, I hadn’t packed a suitcase full of my tea from home (we flew this time, and I had limited space in my luggage for tea canisters and such). Anyway, this tea was delicious during my vacation, and it is delicious now.

I am very partial to Yunnan black tea, and this one met my expectations. Smooth, malty, robust, with that nice little peppery bite to it—mmmm love it! On the box, the description states that it is “Malty and rich with a mellow, jammy sweetness and subtle accents of plum and raisin.” Yes, yes, and yes! All of the above! A very nice cup of tea, indeed.

Now I just need to try this side-by-side with Gong Fu’s Emporer’s Gold and see how it compares. I will try to save the last teaspoonful I have remaining for just that purpose.

Queued post, written June 22nd

This one also came from Auggy and if the LS I wrote about earlier was really more of an afternoon thing, then this is the one I should have chosen for the smoky wake-me-up in the morning.

The aroma is quite earthy, reminding me a bit of puerh, actually. Not nearly as much earthiness as in puerh, but something along those lines.

It’s really quite smoky in flavour, but also with a little sweet honey in the aftertaste along with that hay note. There isn’t too much of that hay, actually, which is the note that I don’t really appreciate much in Yunnan blacks. That’s the second Yunnan I’ve had where it’s been there but not super prominent. Either Auggy has a good idea of how much or little of that hay note I like, or I’m learning to appreciate it more than I used to. It’s not strong here, but it’s there. The primary note in this tea really is the peppery smokiness.

I found this quite enjoyable. I suspect if you enjoy shu, you might like this one as well.