Golden Yunnan

Honey, Raisins, Stonefruits, Thick, Malt, Pepper, Cocoa, Cream, Plums
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by pyarkaaloo

• “Morning cup. It's very unusual for me to be up this early as I'm a high school student in the midst of my summer break, it really only happens when I can't sleep and that is the case this morning....” Read full tasting note
    Kwinter 169 tasting notes
  • “This tea has beautiful black and gold leaves and a rich malty peppery taste. This is a robust tea with a raisiny smell and caramel notes. Its mellow and smooth, no bitterness or astringency that...” Read full tasting note
    Maniac49 429 tasting notes
  • “I think this is my third review of this tea. I've been sipping it constantly since I made a pitcher last night. I made two quarts with eight teaspoons of this yunnan, and one teaspoon of the...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 467 tasting notes
  • “This is my last caffeinated tea of the day and I'm glad that I picked this one! It has a great peppery bite with a great caramel sweetness towards the end of the sip. I can tell that I need to...” Read full tasting note
    mrawlins2 1014 tasting notes

From Rishi Tea

This certified organic black tea is harvested from Yunnan’s ancient tea trees. Its deeply flavored infusion has notes of peppery spice, chocolate, sweet raisin, and a malty finish. Golden Yunnan has expertly fermented, even graded leaves and big, golden buds. Its wonderfully full-flavored and rich body is a treat for black tea lovers.

About Rishi Tea View company

An extremely robust, malty tea with a muted caramel finish. You’ll almost need to do a doubletake when you take a sip of this tea because it’s so strong. The directions tell you to use a full tablespoon but I suggest using a teaspoon and brewing it for 3 minutes or less. We made the mistake of following the directions and the tea was somewhat bitter. It does get sweeter, or at least more muted, as it cools, and I love that these leaves hold up to a rebrewing. Ultimately, a high quality, wonderfully dark and strongly caffeeinated tea. I can see why so many people drink this as the morning tea (or as a very concentrated shot of teapresso). Personally, I prefer lighter, naturally sweet teas so I’d drink this tea as a morning jolt only. Still, really great, strong flavor.

This has been my favorite tea for over two years now, its malty sweetness cannot be matched for this type of tea. I haven’t found any other Yunnan black tea that has a similar flavor. It also makes a WONDERFUL iced tea. I mix with a natural cane sugar (Florida Crystals) not the darker the lighter sugar. Everyone who has tasted this at my place is just struck at how good of iced tea this is compared to anything they have ever tried. I make a pot in the morning and then use it for iced tea later in the day. This is a dark infusion and gets sweeter as it cools. While they say you can do multiple infusions a lot of the complexity is lost in a later infusion.

Quickly becoming my favorite black tea.

Solid tea. ’Nuff said

I had originally thought of this as a step up from Rishi’s China Breakfast. It looks like it has more golden tips so I was expecting a slightly sweeter tea with the the same vanilla and cocoa flavors that I enjoy in China breakfast. But I was disappointed. As another reviewer described it, this tea is flat and boring. I think I might actually prefer China Breakfast.

This is also becoming one of my favorite black teas. It has a wonderful, barely smoky aroma, and steeps to a honey colored brew. There are some vague peppery notes, but it tastes slightly malty, slightly carmel like, bright and mellow, with no bitter notes at all.

Just a great, wonderful black tea. Should stand up well to milk & sugar (and honey). Not sure how much cups you can get from this 3.2 oz container, but it seemed to last forever.

A bit on the toasty side, I find this tea to be a favorite of mine. Easy to go to when I just want something to sip on and not have to think about much. It is nearly a daily tea for me.

A nice tea. Deliciously malty and nicely balanced. Not as strong of a caramel finish as some other Golden Yunnans, such as Itoen’s, but it’s organic (not a small consideration given Chinese farmers penchant for pesticide spray) and fair trade. And there is something really cool about having wild-harvested tea from 1,300-year-old tea trees.

I could have sworn this tea had been sweetened; it’s so sweet! Sipping this is like sipping honey. And, though I’m speaking out of order, the dry leaves smell like raisins. Actual raisins. I love this tea. I’ve gotten resteep after resteep of this tea and overstepped it a few times too, and every single cup has been enjoyable.

This said, this is my first Chinese black tea (shocking, I know) so I’m keeping my rating a little lower before I have another Yunnan to compare it to. But I really like this tea.

Flavors: Honey, Raisins, Stonefruits, Thick

170 °F / 76 °C

The leaves of this Yunnan Gold smell strongly of honey and raisins after a quick rinse. The brew itself, however, has a very interesting heady quality to it that smells almost “perfume-like” to me. I would say it smells something like patchouli, and it comes through in the taste. If I’m not careful, it can be perceived as an almost “soapy” flavor so I have to tread lightly with my steepings of this tea. Beyond that there are definite notes of malt, and as the tea cools and I take some more sips, the flavor seems to mellow out some. There is something sort of sharp that kind of lingers on the tongue for a while. It’s got a bit of a peppery aftertaste.

Not my favorite Yunnan Gold. It’s not bad, but that heady aroma is a little bright for me. I prefer slightly darker, richer teas when it comes to this category.

Flavors: Honey, Malt, Pepper, Raisins