Vanilla Mint Chai

Pu-erh Tea
Earth, Peppermint, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Clay, Cream, Mint
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaEqualsBliss

• “So, I did a terrible thing today and I have no idea what possessed me to do it. I went to Five Guys and got a cheeseburger. Granted this doesn't sound terrible, but I eat fairly healthy. I can't...” Read full tasting note
    feralanima 174 tasting notes
  • “I looked and saw this was Vanilla Mint Chai and was a little excited as I have been wanting to get a good Vanilla Mint Chai...then...I found out it was actually a Pu-erh...this made me nervous. It...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Haha - I wasn't paying any attention when I chose this sample. I made it, then was immediately let down by the terrible fishy notes. Oh. It's pu-erh. :| Ocassionally I have found pu-erh...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1693 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: Tasty, although I don't agree with calling it a chai. Yeah, I know that chai means "tea" but I think that most of us have come to accept chai to mean the warmly spiced (and sometimes...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4401 tasting notes

From Rishi Tea

Pu-erh Vanilla Mint, Organic Fair Trade Pu-erh Tea

One of our new favorites, this full-flavored and balanced blend highlights the bold nature of Pu-erh and draws from its ancient traditions. Vanilla Mint Pu-erh has a deep reddish-black, opaque infusion with a cool peppermint note. Hand-chopped vanilla beans and fresh ground cinnamon give this blend a full, somewhat creamy body. Its lightly sweet flavor has accents of espresso and cacao. Tastes great infused like tea or prepared with milk and honey, like Masala Chai.

Water: 212°F / Boiling / Leaves: 1 tablespoon per 8 ounces / Infusion Time: 5–6 minutes / Ingredients: Organic Fair Trade Certified™ Yunnan Pu-erh tea, organic vanilla, organic peppermint, organic cinnamon, organic Licorice Root. / Origin: Rishi Blend.

About Rishi Tea View company

So, I did a terrible thing today and I have no idea what possessed me to do it. I went to Five Guys and got a cheeseburger. Granted this doesn’t sound terrible, but I eat fairly healthy. I can’t tell you the last time I’ve eaten fast food, about a year ago I think. Anyways, I ate the burger and now I just feel sick and sluggish and like crap. I decided to help ease my tummy and the lump of crap I had just ingested, and so I went for this. I find puerh with mint and cinnamon helps ease my tummy a lot.

This is definitely helping to ease the rock that refuses to digest and help make me feel slightly less sluggish…I’m just glad the day is done. The taste is not so much chai, it reminds me of a cheap version of Verdant’s Xingyang Silk Road Spice. There’s some nondescript shu puerh, mint, cinnamon, and vanilla. It’s not bad, but there is this odd taste in it. Fake vanilla or some sort of fake flavoring. Ever since I started buying mostly from companies that use real flavors I have found I am able to sense that fakeness more easily. Kind of like going without fast food for so long makes me feel the bad effects even worse when I do eat it!

Claire

Rayn had a really similar thing happen yesterday. He typically eats gluten free with me, but decided to have a pot pie for lunch yesterday, and he said his poor stomach felt awful for hours afterwards.

Terri HarpLady

Last time I made the mistake of eating something with gluten in it was last spring. “What could it hurt?” I thought to myself, as I savored that english muffin soaking up the hollandaise…
I suffered for well over a week, not just in my guts, but my joints, tendons, pretty much all the places that used to hurt in my pre-paleo vegan days. I could barely walk for a couple of day, & it really took about a month to get my body back to ‘normal’. I won’t make that mistake again!

Invader Zim

The only thing I ate for the rest of the night was a 1cup serving of frozen fruit. But I felt like my entire digestive system just stopped and had a wtf moment…not that I blame it. I feel better today, but I still don’t have my full appetite back! Oh well, lesson learned for another year! I don’t know what possesses us to eat something that we usually don’t eat thinking that it will be fine.

Terri HarpLady

I also have to be really careful of eating restaurant meat because it tends to have antibiotics in it, which have a negative effect on me. Glad you’re feeling better. Another lesson learned, eh?

I looked and saw this was Vanilla Mint Chai and was a little excited as I have been wanting to get a good Vanilla Mint Chai…then…I found out it was actually a Pu-erh…this made me nervous. It infused REALLY dark! I’m sipping on it now…and it’s pretty darned good! I can mostly taste the MINT then the smoothness of the vanilla really helps out the Pu-erh! That’s a PLUS. Then I can find little hints of spices underneath. I’m very surprised by this and am enjoying it quite a bit! This is nicely done and think it will be welcomed by Rishi Fans…as it’s one of their NEW offerings!!!

Cofftea

Ok I’m confused. The 1st line of the description is “Pu-erh Vanilla Mint, Organic Fair Trade Pu-erh Tea” and the ingredients say the only spice is cinnamon…

TeaEqualsBliss

Yeah…LOTS of stuff going on, I know – I did a triple take too!

Haha – I wasn’t paying any attention when I chose this sample.

I made it, then was immediately let down by the terrible fishy notes. Oh. It’s pu-erh. :| Ocassionally I have found pu-erh blends that I like, but not this one.

Oh but good news!!! I just realized I can get email updates when there are replies on other people’s posts instead of just mine! So now I don’t have to hope I didn’t miss someone replying to something I said!

Kittenna

But then you also get a LOT of emails… like me! Haha.

Cavocorax

I don’t mind! I’m a smartphone addict so I perk up whenever I see the flashing light. I’ve even have an app on my phone so that I can set the color/frequency of the LED flashing to let me know what msg just popped in (whether email or SMS).

I should set one just for Steepster. :P

I have to say that I should probably unsubscribe from a few of the forum threads because it can be too much – the ‘you know you’re addicted to tea’ one can be the craziest but it’s so funny too.

Cavocorax

I didn’t explain that so well – it lets me know who it’s FROM by the type of LED light/pattern. :P

Kittenna

I’m subscribed to the “purchases” and “swap” threads… Oy. I should unsubscribe…

Cavocorax

Oh, those are bad ones! (for # of emails and tempting you to get more tea!)

Backlog:

Tasty, although I don’t agree with calling it a chai. Yeah, I know that chai means “tea” but I think that most of us have come to accept chai to mean the warmly spiced (and sometimes spicy!) tea blends. This blend only has cinnamon, licorice root and vanilla that I’d categorize as a “spice” and a herb (mint). Not enough spices to call it a chai!

It’s still tasty though!

The pu-erh is earthy and mellow, and it sits off in the background. The mint and vanilla are in the foreground, giving this a taste that is reminiscent of the creamy center of a peppermint patty. YUM! The licorice root is subtle but it adds a pleasant snap to the cup.

Not too minty, not too earthy, I like the balance of this tea and it’s really quite a treat.

Used the “authentic” instructions from the Rishi Masala Chai Tin. The vanilla is prominent, the mint subdued. Might have needed to use less milk. The vanilla bean got a little bitter and gritty towards the bottom of the cup; filter didn’t catch it all. A good neutral dessert-drink.

With all the teas I have in my cupboard this one has been overlooked for a long time. It used to be one of my favourites and I still like it. I normally do not like chai teas but I can’t taste much chai in this pu-erh tea which is probably one of the reasons I like it. Mint is prominent with vanilla notes. Goes well with the dark earthy pu-erh tea.

By the way, I noticed i didn’t have this in my Steepster cupboard but I’ve had it for awhile. I know there’s probably plenty more I’ve never updated. Sometimes it requires setting up the new tea on Steepster and I don’t always have the time.

Flavors: Earth, Peppermint, Vanilla

1939 tasting notes

SSTTB: Pick #12

This is the second Mint Chai that I drank today as a direct comparison with Whispering Pines’ Peppermint Chai. Like I said in the tasting note for that one, the two were really, really dissimilar.

Unlike the WP blend – this one didn’t really feel like a Chai at all. Instead this one seemed to be much more about the smooth creamy vanilla mint flavour which perfectly fit the earthy Pu’Erh. The Pu’Erh base in this kinda reminded me of clay a little bit, and then the Vanilla/Mint due (which was pretty evenly balanced) sweetened it up a bit and kept it from feeling gritty or unpleasant. As far as the “Chai” element, in this one the most that I picked up on was the cinnamon in it which almost made it feel Christmas-y to me? For whatever reason.

Both were really good, just in different ways. However, I think that I liked Whispering Pines’ version better even though it was more Chai like, the reason for that being that I liked the weird Halva flavour I experienced with it because of the unexpected nostalgia. It was a tea that made me experience something other than the tea, and it’s kinda hard for this one to compete with that.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Clay, Cream, Mint, Vanilla

Found out that my Vitamin Shoppe has a suprisingly good selection of teas. They had a bunch a rishi and pukka teas which I am a fan of both. They even had some from the Tea Spot. Who knew a vitamin shop would be a source to get loose leaf teas. This one caught my eye since I am into all things chai. It seemed like an interesting blend so I picked it up. The smell out of the bag was minty with a hint of chai spice to it. Steeped the mint mellowed out a lot which was nice. The chai flavoring is very mild, This is a delicious chai but my only gripe is that the chai flavors be stronger.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Best blended Pu-Erh I’ve ever had! In fact, it lacks a lot of pu-erh qualities of earthiness, but retains the absolutely richness of liquer and smoothness of body. The vanilla and mint mingle and slide together into the most perfect representation of tea as dessert. Amazing first thing in the morning.