Matcha Super Green

Matcha Powder, Sencha
Sachet
High
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

From Rishi Tea

Super Green recently won 1st Place at the 2010 World Tea Championship for “Blended Green Tea” and is our greenest tea ever, combining chumushi (mid-steamed) sencha from Kagoshima and a ceremonial grade matcha from the Kyoto Prefecture of Japan. This new blend has a vivid green infusion with a smooth and sweet umami flavor and is sure to please any green tea lover with its innovative profile and fresh character.

Super Green is an effective and totally natural energy drink that will invigorate and refresh with the powers of matcha and premium sencha. We selected a varietal of sencha known as “Sae Midori,” which is one of the most umami green tea cultivars in the world and has 3% more amino acids and L-theanine than all other tea bush types in Japan. It is perfectly balanced with vivid green matcha, which is also high in amino acids and prized for its stimulating mental clarity and alpha brain waves effect.

Super Green is best prepared with a kyusu teapot using water no hotter than 170°F. This tea can also be prepared as fukamushi cha (deep steamed tea), yielding 2-3 flavorful infusions. We also suggest 8-12 hours cold brew for a most refreshing green iced tea.

Water: 170°F / Leaves: 1 tablespoon per 8 ounces / Infusion Time: 1.5 minutes / Ingredients: Japanese sencha green tea and matcha green tea. / Origin: Japan.

About Rishi Tea View company

This is a seriously GREEN green tea. I don’t think I’ve ever seen such green liquor in a tea that wasn’t pure matcha. What impressed me the most was how flavorful it was, without being bitter, even though I oversteeped it slightly. It’s kind of like sencha on steroids — the addition of matcha amps it up and increases the umami factor. The flavor profile is vegetal yet sweet; it’s not what I would call grassy or spinach-y. I enjoyed it and will probably purchase more.

After hearing about this tea , I had to try it. I mean… not only are the ingredients in this tea independently fantastic but, it’s a World Tea Champion so let me have it!

The verdict: Meh.

This tea has the creamy mouthfeel of Matcha, and the slight astringency of Sencha, which in themselves sound quite nice, but… well… as I already mentioned, each of those teas on their own are fantastic.
I feel that the Matcha conceals the lovely nuances of Sae Midori Sencha. The precise wonder of Sae Midori is that it is so complex! The Matcha overpowers it.
And the creaminess of the Matcha is there, and in its own right it’s lovely… but… it’s not whisked. My impression throughout my entire first cup was, “Aggghh! I really want to whisk the heck out of this right now!!” And this surprised me because I don’t feel that way at all when I have Genmai Matcha / Ryokucha.

So my conclusion is this: This is a good tea. It’s unique, and it gets you jacked. But… in my opinion… the Matcha is best whisked up as a bowl of Matcha, and the Sae Midori Sencha is best savoured and appreciated on it’s own.

takgoti

Aw, bummer. Reading the description, this does sound delectable. And I’ll have you know that I am on the verge of buying a quarter pound of Ancient Yellow Buds and I am completely blaming you for my addiction to it.

Oh Cha!

Woooo! I take full credit. :)
Yellow teas are where it’s at.

Green and GREAT ^^

No further detailed description available.

Pure energy!!!

I saw these matcha-dusted sencha sachets at a gourmet specialty store and decided to give them a try. I consumed quite a lot of matcha-dusted sencha over the course of a couple years of my life, but I have not had any lately. I used to buy two different kinds: Stash Premium Green with matcha, or Kirkland Signature Green with matcha. Both were quite decent, though the Stash was in a filter bag. Kirkland’s was the very first sachet I ever encountered, and I always felt that there was something luxurious about it. Apparently many other people felt that way as well, as now sachets are in virtual ubiquity.

Rishi has changed the name of this tea. I clicked on the link in the company description and was directed to Rishi’s home page. There is no tea now known as Super Green, only this Matcha Super Green, and this batch is said to hail from Kyushu, not specifically Kagoshima. On the box the cultivars are identified (somewhat surprisingly, since even most specialty tea emporia do not provide such detailed information on their teas). Here’s what it says: Asatsuyu, Yabukita, Okumidori, Okuyutaka. Make of that what you will!

The tea brews up bright emerald, as all matcha-infused sencha does, and the texture is super sumptuous. I found the brew itself to be a bit bitter, though I kept the time short (2 minutes) and the temperature low (73F).

Upon examining the sachet, I discovered that there were lots of stems along with the tea leaves. I was very surprised by this, as the Rishi loose-leaf teas have been very good. Slipping stalks into sencha sachets? They must be trying to cut corners.

Note that this new version is not identified as the same tea which won the award in 2010. There is no way that a stem-riddled sencha would win an award. The competition is incredibly stiff among sencha producers. Lest we forget: they live in an honor-shame culture!

165 °F / 73 °C 2 min, 0 sec 2 g 9 OZ / 266 ML