Darjeeling 1st Flush 2010 Micro-Lot DJ 3/10

Edit tea info Last updated by Tyler

1 Tasting Note View all

• “This particular Darjeeling tea resigned me up as a Darjeeling fan. It was fantastic. However, I ashamedly admit I did very poorly brewing it. Therefore, I confused this tea with the 7/10 micro-lot...” Read full tasting note
    tyler 48 tasting notes

From Rishi Tea

Bright and lively mouthfeel with succulent flavor and complex aromatics of peaches, Muscat Grapes and topical flowers

About Rishi Tea View company

1 Tasting Note

This particular Darjeeling tea resigned me up as a Darjeeling fan. It was fantastic. However, I ashamedly admit I did very poorly brewing it. Therefore, I confused this tea with the 7/10 micro-lot from Makaibari 2010. The 7/10 micro-lot had notes of pepper and and a bit briskness. When I was brewing this tea (3/10) I was getting those peppery notes as well. However, I was using about 2 grams of tea in my 4oz gaiwan. I then looked up on the internet and found that “industry tea standards” are 2.2 grams per 8 oz of water. So I bought a gram scale (it was difficult finding a scale that goes in tenth gram increments). I then measured out the tea and found the subtle peach notes were then coming out. It probably also helps that I lowered the steeping time as well.
But, yes, this is a fantastic tea. And I look forward to the Makaibari estate first flush and second flush for 2011. Hopefully Rishi will also sell their micro-lots as they did in 2010. I don’t believe you can buy this from Rishi’s website anymore but if you find it at a coffeeshop it is a high recommendation. Just remember 1.1 grams per 4 oz of water ;)

Tyler

If anyone is wondering where I found the claim that 2.2 grams is the tea industry tea standard, I don’t remember. However, I did just pull it up on google. Here is the link:
It’s in the same paragraph as the bold words.