Organic Silver Needle

White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaEqualsBliss

From Rishi Tea

Reserve White Tea with a sublime, sweet flavor and rich, savory finish.

Organic White Tea,

About Rishi Tea View company

Thank you to TeaEqualsBliss for sending me some of this tea.

This is a fantastic silver needle. The leaves are soft and fluffy, like one would expect a silver needle to be, and the flavor is quite rich! Surprisingly rich and full! Normally, I might expect a bit more of a subtle approach from a Silver Needle, but, this tea is delicate in its nuances and the way they present themselves to the palate, but not so much in the overall flavor. Sweet … juicy even! With a lovely savory spice tone toward the tail.

Quite lovely.

So i’ll preface this with a “this is my first silver needle” ever. That being said, this is a really nice tea. I’ll hold off on rating it until I’ve had a bit more experience with silver needle/plain white teas, but I really like this. I don’t get the floral notes that others have, but it is a “sweet” tea (though not like birthday cake sweet!) haha. Thank you for the sample Indigobloom!

One of the most flavorful Silver Needles I have had – straight-up and stand-alone but semi-sweet, semi-floral, and very satisfying! Very nice!

I love playing with the brewing strength and steeping time for this tea. Light infusions are clean and subtle; darker infusions are alternately vegetal and nutty. Also detect a slightly spicy aftertaste, especially in a batch I tasted earlier this year. There are quite a few variations in bud size or appearance, depending on the harvest time or season. The buds were gorgeous in the aforementioned batch, and were truly deserving of the “silver needle” appellation. The lot I’m drinking now is withered by comparison. Still tasty, but definitely not first flush quality.

Having avoided white for so long, this tea surprised me. The smell of the leaf after adding a drop of hot water smells sweet, and almost roasted. The liquor is a very pale straw color, and the body of the tea is just as thin as the color. However, the tea has a decent amount of sweetness which is barely balanced with a noticeable astringency. The taste is very light, floral, fruity, with notes of raw sugar.

195 °F / 90 °C 2 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

Sweet and smooth. Great aroma. Just great!