Earl Grey

Edit tea info Last updated by looseTman

• “Okay, okay, I know I’m doing The Final Sipdown to try to clean out my tea pantry. So it goes a bit against that goal that I picked up a new tea while out grocery shopping...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “An old friend. This stuff gets better and better each time I drink it. The bergamot is strong and I’m learning to love that. I feel like bergamot is another addiction for me within the world...” Read full tasting note
    Kwinter 172 tasting notes
  • “Loving all the EG that I have trying lately :D This one smells delicious, strong bergamot note. It’s funny since a few weeks ago I didn’t know what bergamot tasted like and now I love...” Read full tasting note
    carol-who 455 tasting notes
  • “This is the first loose leaf I’ve had in a long time. That’s kind of depressing! Anyway, we went to a coffee shop in downtown Charleston for breakfast this morning and they had a...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2182 tasting notes

From Rishi Tea

“Earl Grey is a British tea classic and the most popular tea of the Western World. This citrus-scented tea blend dates back to the 19th Century Sino-British trade of opium, tea, silk and porcelain. Our bestselling Organic Earl Grey blends bold-flavored Yunnan Dian Hong harvested from antique tea trees with natural Bergamot citrus from Southern Italy.

Tasting Notes: Smooth and lively with the unique citrusy, floral aroma of bergamot oranges

Ingredients: Organic and Fair Trade Certified™ black tea, essential bergamot oil.

Additional Info: Classic black teas offer a timeless taste of tea’s rich history and express a distinct sense of place, determined not only by geography and climate, but also by culture and tradition."

“Water Temperature: 212°F (boiling)
Leaf to Water Ratio: 1 tablespoon per 8 ounces
Steep Time: 4 minutes (1st infusion), 5 minutes (2nd infusion)

We encourage you to experiment with the quantity of tea leaves and the length of the steep time to find your desired brew strength. Varying the water temperature isn’t recommended, as water that is too hot will over-extract the bitter components of tea, while water that is too cool might not fully draw out the aromas and flavors of tea."

About Rishi Tea View company

Rishi Tea specializes in sourcing the most rarefied teas and botanical ingredients from exotic origins around the globe. This forms a palette from which we craft original blends inspired by equal parts ancient herbal wisdom and modern culinary innovation. Discover new tastes and join us on our journey to leave ‘No Leaf Unturned’.

I got this EG from my Earl Grey Galore from LiberTEAS. The smell of bergamot is quite strong, smells natural as far as my nostrils told me. First I drank it straight to perceive the taste of the black tea, was ok, not as bold as I usually like but quite nice. Then I added a tbsp of honey & was yummy. The bergamot flavor {not as strong as the scent} remains ‘til the end of the last sip. I’ll definitely buy it.

This tea, not oddly enough, is straight-up Earl Grey. Nothing special, nothing not special. Recommended to drink on cold, sleepy mornings.

I only steeped for 3 minutes as opposed to the recommended 4 minutes. Not too strong, and not bitter as a result.

OK, so I haven’t had too much experience with Earl Grey (I’ve had some whole food store’s tea and a decent stock from Metropolitan Tea Company), but I noticed the initial aroma of this was quite different than what I’m used to. I’m not sure how to describe it, as the bergamot oil is very potent, but it smelled more natural than the others I’ve had. I don’t know…I can’t put my finger on it. It wasn’t as appealing at first because it wasn’t what I was used to, but I haven’t been disappointed by Rishi yet, so I figured “what the heck.”

I wasn’t very much impressed with the initial brew. I don’t remember exactly, but I think it was a bit strong and bitter. I wasn’t going to give up that easily, though, and decided to make another pot fresh. Again, it was piping hot and a bit bitter, so I left the cup for a little while. I came back to it maybe 15-20minutes later, and it was PERFECT. I don’t really know how to describe what happened, but it was a lot smoother and enjoyable to drink after the heat dissipated and things mellowed out. No signs of bitterness, and the bergamot was lovely. Wouldn’t drink this tea if I was in a rush, but if you have a little time to let things mellow out, it is rather enjoyable.

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 24 OZ / 709 ML

Very nice tea, nice nose. Slight tannic aftertaste, but not bad.

When I first discovered Rishi several years back this was the first tea that I tried and if I’m out and about and want some tea this is often my choice (most of our coffee shops sell Rishi since they’re local). This certainly isn’t your grocery store EG, this one is bold and hits you in the face with the smell alone and I absolutely love it. I am a huge EG fan and this is probably one of my favorites, it’s one of the few teas that you will almost always find in my massive tea cabinet. There aren’t many teas that get that distinction, I like variety to much.

I do find that when I prepare this that I tend to keep towards the lower side of the suggested time (3 rather than 5 minutes), otherwise this tea tends to get quite strong. I’m all for a strong cup of tea, but with many Rishi varieties they tend to edge towards over strong if I’m not careful.

If you find this one isn’t to your liking try adding a splash of milk, it really mellows out the flavor and makes for an even tastier tea.

With my first sip, I got a nasty mouthful of bergamot. (It was a sample and I suspect it might have been a little old. Maybe the stale bergamot was stronger) But, the tea really mellowed out after and at the last sip, I was craving more. Strongly flavored.

I bought this at my local health foods store for only 2.05 per ounce. I like this Earl Grey. It has a classic taste and I think it tastes best with 1/2 tsp raw cane sugar. I like Twinings better, but I will buy this again.

One of the best Earl Grey teas I have tried to date. Definitely a more bold and less flowery variety. This will wake you up and take you through your day like an old friend.

Had a cup of this to wake me up this morning. Very little of it left in the can, but that’s okay because I have plenty of new teas to try.

First time I tried it it was like: ouch, that is a strong bergamot taste. I added some milk and I started to enjoy it more and more. It’s perfect for mornings like 6.am or so…Later then that, I prefer having the earl grey of Dammann Frere. I have always been faithful to the dammann frere taste, but will accept this only for a change once in a while.