Pu-erh Ginger

Pu-erh Tea
Earth, Ginger, Mineral
Edit tea info Last updated by steepster

From Rishi Tea

According to traditional Chinese Medicine, Pu-erh tea has a warm and energizing property. It is known to dispel grease and toxins from a diet rich in meat and cholesterol. Our blend of Organic Ginger and Organic Pu-erh was inspired by an ancient herbal formula used as a “beauty aid” and “slimming tea” in Asia. The zesty notes of orange and ginger complement the rich, smooth flavors of Pu-erh.

About Rishi Tea View company

Perfect “cold and rainy day” tea. The ginger meshes well with the pu’erh, taking away any edge of barnyard. Smooth, mellow, and a great intro to pu’erh.

Huh, I was surprised by the general ratings. I notice a lot of steepsters find the ginger overpowering. This is where my liking to more mild tea’s came in handy. I used maybe 12 – 15 oz boiling water to just 1.5 tbsp pu-erh for 5 minutes. The ginger wasn’t too strong and what I enjoyed most was the sheer difference in taste (from green, black, and white, which is what I’ve been drinking most). I guess that’s why it’s called Pu-erh!

Anyway, the ginger is evident and I like it. Otherwise, I’m really not sure how to describe this Pu-erh. Instead I will describe how it doesn’t taste. It’s not musty, or down to earth. It’s not sweet or bitter. It’s not smooth, tangy, vegetal, or floral.

Citrusy? Maybe. Bold? Most likely. Try it for yourself. But I recommend reducing the tea to water ratio.

Very good. I am not much of a ginger person, and even I like this.
I don’t go crazy over it though. However, last time I had friends over for another home cooked dinner made by yours truly, after one sip their faces lit up! THEY LOVED IT. Each of them lost their minds over this tea, and insisted on knowing where I got it from.
So not the right tea for me most days, but what a crowd pleaser!

Also… it’s magnificent for hangovers. :)

This tea really vibes with me right now. The burning sensation from the ginger complements the dark taste of the pu erh. It’s also helped with digestion, and is very filling. A must have for cold winter evenings, when there is a problem with the heat in your apartment and you have piled layers upon layers on yourself. This tea will warm you right up. Excellent!

Too much ginger for me, overpowering the pu-erh tea taste. Caused me to belch, probably the ginger. Can get 3 steepings, but I’ll try other varieties from Rishi.

Nice and creamy, but the ginger dominates. Mellows with a second steeping.

I love this tea, perfect for those cold winter days

Spicy and almost coffee-like in flavor. I love it so, but the caffeine hits so hard that I can see through time after one cup.

Thank you, Veronica, for including a sample of this in the Christmas card! I did not follow the directions and only dumped half into the teapot (directions call for 1 tbs – yipes).

I never would have thought to try this on my own. Not much of a ginger fan unless it’s in tea with plenty of other ingredients, and I’m hesitant about shou in blends.

Here, the shou is earthy and smooth – not much else going on. The ginger adds a good kick. It’s an odd combo but works. A very nice winter tea! Especially when it’s overcast booooooooooo.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Veronica

I’ll use a full tablespoon when I have a cold. The combination of the shou and ginger is comforting and seems to help get rid of the yuck. Otherwise I use less leaf, too. :)

KiwiDelight

I used the last half today. I think it’s growing on me…

HHTTB #14/18

Here is another one from the traveling tea box. I grabbed this one because I tend to enjoy ginger teas. This did not disappoint. It was a think mouth feel with a base that had the deep coco flavor mixed with the ginger. I am still not used to ripe pu-erh and so the earthy/mushroom smell the tea was really enjoyable.