Earl Grey Supreme

Edit tea info Last updated by steepster

• “A fairly basic earl grey, far too mild for my tastes and best drunk sans milk. Where is that ass-kicking, face-slapping bergamot explosion that my mind conjured up with the word "supreme"? This...” Read full tasting note
    amber 221 tasting notes
  • “In my never-ending quest for a supremely-great earl grey, I’m brought to Rishi’s offering. Unfortunately, this rather pricey blend will prove to be no rainmaker. Opening the bag, the bergamot...” Read full tasting note
    bravedave 30 tasting notes
  • “I found the most exciting new coffee/tea shop ever!!!!! I drove by a shop about 3 miles from my house and noticed a new sign.... The Blue Box Cafe. I say to my self... Oh, how funny? Like Doctor...” Read full tasting note
    carol who 270 tasting notes
  • “The smell is promising, bright bergamot and cola, but the taste is flat and a little soapy. Pretty one dimensional - bergamot. No real bitterness to speak of. Mildly astringent. Brews up dark...” Read full tasting note
    Odysseus 69 tasting notes

From Rishi Tea

A special reserve for Earl Grey lovers, we infuse a smooth liquoring Keemun and a bold flavored Yunnan with 100% natural essential oil pressed from real bergamot citrus fruits. This oddly shaped citrus fruit from Southern Italy is what gives traditional Earl Grey its flowery and sweet citrus aroma. One of our British customers claims this is the best Earl Grey blend ever. What a compliment!

About Rishi Tea View company

A fairly basic earl grey, far too mild for my tastes and best drunk sans milk. Where is that ass-kicking, face-slapping bergamot explosion that my mind conjured up with the word “supreme”? This earl grey succeeds in being supremely mild.

Rabs

Well, pooh :(

AmazonV

mild is better than asprin taste?

Opening the bag, the bergamot scent is on the lemony-side and ample, without being too overpowering. Acceptable start. My issues don’t lie with with bergamot. Upon tasting, I’m surprised at this earl grey’s black tea base. Using a Keemun/Yunnan blend, the base is rather bitter with some late astringency. It’s a dry bitterness without any redeeming value. Lifeless, barren, and dare I say, possibly stale. The citrus flavor fails to cover up this dehydrating crime.

It feels like Rishi took a lesser quality black tea base, masked it with the bergamot, and decided to slap a ‘supreme’ on the name. After drinking a pot of this, I feel like I just camped out in the desert and my mouth is suffering from a drought. A tall glass of ice water and some rain would be nice.

I found the most exciting new coffee/tea shop ever!!!!! I drove by a shop about 3 miles from my house and noticed a new sign…. The Blue Box Cafe. I say to my self… Oh, how funny? Like Doctor Who. But then I go, sure it is… here in Elgin. Well guess what, it is a Doctor Who themed tea/coffee shop!!! Doctor Who and Tea… what could be better! This looks like my new obsession!

Well my cup of tea could have been better. Not much flavor, no bergamot. But they have other loose leaf teas, so I’ll try some more.

They have a nice selection of pastry, salads and sandwiches. Nothing looked Weight Watchers friendly, but I think I’ll find something I can eat without so many calories.

I’m sure I’ll find my way there, frequently! :D
mj

This sounds awesome! I bet it’s so cute!!

Ost

Ahhh that sounds amazing! :D Bummer that the tea sucked though.

Lynxiebrat

An EG without any Bergemot?! That’s weird…I wonder if maybe the tea hadn’t been stored properly or something.

carol who

That’s what think… poor storage or old tea. I talked with the owner, in general, not specifically about tea and he was so proud of his loose leaf tea. I didn’t have the heart to tell him. Maybe after I get to know him better I can make some suggestions. I already gave him a bunch of Doctor Who books for display so we are developing a nice relationship. Their chai tea latte is available with almond, soy or regular milk so I can save a few calories.

The smell is promising, bright bergamot and cola, but the taste is flat and a little soapy. Pretty one dimensional – bergamot. No real bitterness to speak of. Mildly astringent. Brews up dark brown. A mild afternoon tea. I no longer feel the need to nap, so it did the trick.

A solid well-rounded version, with good black depth and a nice bristling bergamot. Rarely over-astringent, very smooth, and a bit buttery. My go-to quick strong morning tea.